PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RIP Marty Schottenheimer

I suspect the dark cloud of "Martyball" hanging over his head became too big for it's own good.

Ironically, had he just played "Martyball" against the Pats, they would have won that game.
That was the thing that seemed most interesting to me. In that last game against the Pats, there was a ton of buildup before the game about how inflexible Marty was, and his inflexibility was causing issues during the playoffs. Unfortunately for him, it seems like he took it to heart thst one time because he used a passing first approach in that playoff game. Problem was that Tomlinson was gashing the Patriots defense, while the Pats had success against the passing game. If he had just stuck to his guns and tried to bulldoze the Patriots in the late 3rd and early 4th quarter, I don’t think the Patriots win that game.

Put this in another post before I saw this one but wanted to reemphasize:

Marty never got his due. Missed the SB because 2 kickers couldn't make FG's inside 50 yards, one RB couldn't hold onto the ball at the 1 yard line, and a DB didn't know enough to give himself up after an interception and then fumbled. His record is very good, I think 200-126, in several Conference Championship games with 3 different teams. His best coaching job was turning an 0-8 Redskin team into 8-8 with Tony Banks at QB. Dan Snyder, the eternal meddler, enamored of Steve Spurrier dumped Marty and the Redskins have been crap ever sense. If he had kept Marty and left him alone, they would have been winners. There are many coaches that never got their due. Marty is at the top of that list.
I live in Northern Virginia and I remember that season Marty had with the 'Skins. Coached an unbelievable turnaround and then got dumped by fanboy Snyder. The Redskins have never won eight straight games since.

I live in Northern Virginia and I remember that season Marty had with the 'Skins. Coached an unbelievable turnaround and then got dumped by fanboy Snyder. The Redskins have never won eight straight games since.
I lived there at that time also and was amazed at him getting those 8 wins. It was Belichickian.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back