PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RIP Clayton Weishuhn

Weishuhn

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Felt the need to pay homage to the inspiration for my user-name. Prototype run-stuffer MLB from the 80's whose career was derailed by injuries. Shocked to read that he still holds the Pats single season tackle total record.

RIP53... terrible news

sjXmYbt.jpg

Last edited:

Despite the fact that New England has won six Super Bowl championships since Weishuhn's playing days, his single-season franchise record of 229 tackles set in 1983 still stands today.

Everybody, including Steve Nelson, refers to Clayton with legendary adjectives.

1650757821019.png1650757945400.png

I already had a long Labor Day 1984 weekend waiting for me, so I decided to tack on a few extra days of leave and visit a bro who mustered-out earlier in the year and who was living in Houston TX at the time... The LA Raidahs were playing in Houston vs the Oilers on Opening Day, so we decided to drive the short distance to the Astrodome (the old AstroWorld amusement park was still across the street from it then), walk up to the ticket booth < I hour before kickoff, bought the cheapest seats available, then sat at midfield throughout the game and nobody bothered us... Fans down there already knew what kind of season awaited them...

Anyway, sometime during that game the scoreboard showed us the results of the Pats at Barfalo (a Win) but also mentioned that Weishuhn had been injured and was carried off the field... I had a feeling this was gonna be real bad... He had shown so much promise the previous season when he played all 16 games after playing in only 9 his rookie season...

Funny how one's mind works sometimes... I remember that LA won after a sloppy first half, but the other memory from that game is reading about Weishuhn's injury... RIP dude; you were dealt a lousy hand in pro football.

Remember him, but not how good he was until I read the article which jarred a few memory cells lose. He was a tuff NFL'er, unfortunate he died young. When you look at his pix great example how much equipment has changed in 39 years.

Reportedly not wearing a seatbelt??

Sad RIP

I had forgotten his career was over after his second year and how great that year was.

Imagine adding healthy Weishuhn to Blackmon/Tibbett during the 80's. I think Steve Nelson was even still around.

his single-season franchise record of 229 tackles set in 1983 still stands today.
This record was unknown to me...i was fascinated after i read it / i looked about him and it is sad injuries derailed his career...he could have been a real factor and impact playier for many years

Patriots drafted him in the 3rd round and it was a good one but his future was not long term infortunately...

Pity he was not a member of awesome 1985 season

Looks he loved so much his Texas land and life

Worked very very hard too but satisfied

R.i.p. Clayton...

Last edited:
The quickest athlete not named Mike Tyson (prejail) I have ever seen. Derrick Thomas of the Chiefs, played with Bama in college, came very close. Another RIP from a vehicular accident.

Patriots HOFer Steve Nelson, one of my all-time favorites, would be playing at normal speed, and watching Weisuhn it was like he was on a whole different plane of quickness.

He was like a brief, shining comet. He dazzled…but it was for much too short.

Dallas Cowboys officials were ready to commit hare carrie for not drafting him. And his upper body strength was way above what you’d expect for his size.

Just to see practice with a healthy Weisuhn going against Hog Hannah would be worth a hefty admission price.

You younger Patriots fans have. no. idea. what. a. tackling. machine. he. was.

Last edited:
This record was unknown to me...i was fascinated after i read it / i looked about him and it is sad injuries derailed his career...he could have been a real factor and impact playier for many years

Patriots drafted him in the 3rd round and it was a good one but his future was not long term infortunately...

Pity he was not a member of awesome 1985 season

Looks he loved so much his Texas land and life

Worked very very hard too but satisfied

R.i.p. Clayton...
I vaguely remember watching him, but from what i do remember of him is that he was everywhere and hit really hard. Weishun the typhon, i think he was compared to the Tasmanian devil from the Loony Tunes

Last edited:
Sad RIP

I had forgotten his career was over after his second year and how great that year was.

Imagine adding healthy Weishuhn to Blackmon/Tibbett during the 80's. I think Steve Nelson was even still around.

LBs on the 1984 NEP (courtesy of footballdb.com):

Linebackers # Player G GS Age College

55 Don Blackmon 16 16 26 Tulsa

50 Larry McGrew 16 15 27 USC

57 Steve Nelson 16 16 33 North Dakota St

52 Johnny Rembert 7 0 23 Clemson

95 Ed Reynolds 16 0 23 Virginia

56 Andre Tippett 16 16 24 Iowa

53 Clayton Weishuhn 1 1 25 Angelo St

54 Ed Williams 14 0 23 Texas

One of the very best LB units to start a season in Pats history, imo.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back