PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RIP Babe Parilli

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was a rare bright light in the early years of the Patriots, along with jim Nance, Cappeletti and Buonoconte. Looking up his stats, I didn't know he earned a Super Bowl ring with the Jets in SB3, even throwing a pass in that game.........
RIP

Did anyone here watch him that season? That's absurd for the time period.

Did anyone here watch him that season? That's absurd for the time period.

I was an 11year old Pats fan then, but was very hard to catch the Pats on TV in the early years. I probably went to as many games as I saw on TV. But Babe was one good reason to watch.
Was really cool when the Pats finally got most games televised,believe it was around that time or a few years later.
Yeah Parillis 31 tds were probably equivalent to 50+ now. Dbs could maul receivers pretty much at will, ol couldn't extend their arms to block,QBs had no protection. Was a different game- in some ways,better,some ways worse.

A boyhood hero of mine.

I was so sick of hearing about YA Title and the freaking Giants......and then, along came this team, right in Boston, called the Patriots.

It wasn't long until the Sweet Kentucky babe found his way to this team and proceeded to really light it up for a few years....Colclough, Gino, Jim Nance....who knew it would take 42 years for glory!

After Mike Holovak replaced Lou Saban the Patriots had a nice stretch of very good teams for about five or six years. Babe Parilli was certainly one of the key parts for those teams, including the one with him, Jim Nance, Nick Buoniconti and others leading the way that nearly made it to the first super bowl. Unfortunately they never quite made it to the top, and then everything fell apart quickly when too many key players got old and/or injured at the same time.

Oakland trades Parilli to Patriots

Regarding SB III with the Jets, if I recall Namath got hurt fairly badly and had to go to the sideline, which resulted in Parilli seeing some unexpected playing time. I think it only lasted a couple of plays, but he still got his ring.

RIP

A boyhood hero of mine.

I was so sick of hearing about YA Title and the freaking Giants......and then, along came this team, right in Boston, called the Patriots.

It wasn't long until the Sweet Kentucky babe found his way to this team and proceeded to really light it up for a few years....Colclough, Gino, Jim Nance....who knew it would take 42 years for glory!
Naaah! Before the Pats were formed I was a Gents fan! Frederickson Shofner et al. Then Parilli n the Pats came on the scene.! RIP Babe

Naaah! Before the Pats were formed I was a Gents fan! Frederickson Shofner et al. Then Parilli n the Pats came on the scene.! RIP Babe

Most football fans in New England were Giants fans up thru 1960. A lot of local fans stuck with the Giants for a few years after that before switching to the Pats.
They were the closest thing to a home team and they had some really good teams. But always lost to the Packers in the end. They were my intro to football as a young kid. But I was a complete Patriots convert by 1961 and I grew to really dislike the Giants.
The Patriots certainly rule the entire northeast- nygiants are now mere after thoughts.

Yeah, many were, there wasn't anyone else. Then, those that remained Giants fans really gave the Pats a hard time for years......called us minor league, rag time, a joke, even in '78 when they really sucked, going 6-10 with an embarrassing loss in “The Miracle at the Meadowlands,” loss, they still had no respect for us and we were good then, 11-5 first in our division. Then, once Parcells came along and they won their first ring, they just would not shut up,and still haven't to this day.

Is there any doubt that we need to beat the Giants at least once. Until we do, they remain our last hurdle, our Kryptonite.

Sorry to get carried away, my hatred of the Giants got in the way of paying my respects for the Babe -- RIP.

After Mike Holovak replaced Lou Saban the Patriots had a nice stretch of very good teams for about five or six years. Babe Parilli was certainly one of the key parts for those teams, including the one with him, Jim Nance, Nick Buoniconti and others leading the way that nearly made it to the first super bowl. Unfortunately they never quite made it to the top, and then everything fell apart quickly when too many key players got old and/or injured at the same time.

Oakland trades Parilli to Patriots

Regarding SB III with the Jets, if I recall Namath got hurt fairly badly and had to go to the sideline, which resulted in Parilli seeing some unexpected playing time. I think it only lasted a couple of plays, but he still got his ring.

RIP

RIP Babe Parilli.. nice link to the news article.

I switched from being a Brown Fan to being a Pats Fan around 1962.. Parilli was a bright spot..

From your captioned newspaper article Reading Beer was my first beer my buddies and I drank, it did not even have a flip top.. it was the cheapest beer available, used to drink it outside in abandoned lots, sometimes in the snow occasionally beer "slush".. good memory.

Same here...Pats were formed just as I entered the Navy.....Up until then it was Huff, Robistelli, YA, and even a few that escape my aging memory ! :)

Only 12 posts for the Babe.

Is there that few of us old farts left?

I think we are indeed dropping in numbers...! I remember the Babe well, he was a damn good QB and gave the Pats legitimacy at the position immediately after they acquired him. I loved the way he dropped back to pass - you could tell he KNEW what he was doing. I think he instilled a lot of confidence in those mid 60's Patriot teams. RIP Babe Parilli, you were a very good one.

A boyhood hero of mine.

I was away for a few days and didn't hear of his passing. RIP Babe. He was the QB for the first game I ever attended.

I was in the same boat back then and didn't like the Giants. But then I saw Jim Brown and I became a Browns fan for a short time until the Pats came along.

Last edited:
I think we are indeed dropping in numbers...! I remember the Babe well, he was a damn good QB and gave the Pats legitimacy at the position immediately after they acquired him. I loved the way he dropped back to pass - you could tell he KNEW what he was doing. I think he instilled a lot of confidence in those mid 60's Patriot teams. RIP Babe Parilli, you were a very good one.
Loved the mid-60s Pats led by Parilli. He was a pro, very competent QB. Jim Nance was a great RB, the D had stars, Holovak was a real good coach.

I was an 11year old Pats fan then, but was very hard to catch the Pats on TV in the early years. I probably went to as many games as I saw on TV. But Babe was one good reason to watch.
Was really cool when the Pats finally got most games televised,believe it was around that time or a few years later.
Yeah Parillis 31 tds were probably equivalent to 50+ now. Dbs could maul receivers pretty much at will, ol couldn't extend their arms to block,QBs had no protection. Was a different game- in some ways,better,some ways worse.
We had our own Curse of the Babe down in Miami for - only 20 years...

Babe Parilli.

Jim Plunkett.

Steve Grogan.

Drew Bledsoe.

Tom Brady.

That's the list.

Most football fans in New England were Giants fans up thru 1960. A lot of local fans stuck with the Giants for a few years after that before switching to the Pats.
They were the closest thing to a home team and they had some really good teams. But always lost to the Packers in the end. They were my intro to football as a young kid. But I was a complete Patriots convert by 1961 and I grew to really dislike the Giants.
The Patriots certainly rule the entire northeast- nygiants are now mere after thoughts.
People like to incorrectly state that our recent success this century has shaped our attitudes and perspectives about pro football.

No. Not in the case of lifelong Patriots fans, no. The old NY Football Giants of the fifties were good and likeable and played before I was born. But the actions of that franchise, from the top on down, dwarf any bumbling by Billy Sullivan, starting with the fact there was zero chance of them hiring hometown boy Vince Lombardi because of pure prejudice. Nothing about my dislike of the Jets even approaches my loathing of the Giants. They simply have no redeeming qualities.

I've ranted in the past here about how CBS used to pipe in their meaningless games to us in the 70's, plus how I still liked Coughlin and Belichick despite their being there.

No, I'm not shutting up about how Sean Taylor was treated like a head of state one month prior to them arriving in Arizona dressed in black for the Patriots' "funeral", specifically the last game of their season dedicated to Marquise Hill, who saved a young woman's life before losing his. It wasn't some secret, his number was on our helmets. That Taylor was a better player is not relevant. Classless and unrootable describe the Giants team, period.

What people, some even here, don't seem to get is that most of us are Patriots fans no matter what, yes we acknowledge Billy Sullivan's problems which hurt mostly us and not others, but we don't hold all our players and coaches accountable for that and we root for OUR team. Win or lose. And we outnumber the bandwagoners.

Babe was an old-fashioned, class act. One of many who made us proud.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes