SOURCE:WEEI

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Redskins
Thu
Aug 9th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Pats Like Leaders
Malcolm Mitchell has been among quite a few players in recent years the Patriots have targeted who were leaders on their respective teams

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Rewatch SB: Pats vs. Eagles - X's and O's ONLY!

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by luuked, Feb 5, 2018.

1. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +17,042
    The whining comment was not directed at you directly. Sorry if it came off like it.

I understand that some people are not ready to rewatch it yet. However, once you get there really check out some of the third down plays from the Eagles. It will make you feel better that for the most part those were just great plays and not only our defense screwing up.

• Funny Funny x 1

2. drewskie

drewskie Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +788
    Before they even snapped the ball on that play, with White in motion I could see that he should've been the first read and an automatic first down while gaining YAC, and still be able to get out of bounds to stop the clock.

PHI was willing concede the underneath routes because they weren't going to give up the home run play. Sucks.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,917
    For now, I'll just have to take your word for it.
    Thanks for the perspective and suggestion, though.

4. mosi

mosi In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3,105
    I am watching the Philly parade now - and they are very respectful of Brady and have called him the GOAT repeatedly. The one thing they mentioned was that game had the most total yards of ANY NFL game in history - regular and post season.

They mentioned the defenses on both sides were just gassed - from the tempo of the game and the temperature in the building and that last long drive by the Eagles gave their D just enough juice to get to Brady.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
  5. captain stone

captain stone Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +4,843
    Gilmore was more than one step off...much more. He therefore wasn't in "great position" to make the play; otherwise, he would have, you know, actually made the damn play.

6. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +17,042
    I think this had more to do with how deep their DL was and how they could afford to rotate those players but a 7 minute drive obviously helps. It sucks that a phenomenal performance by the OL ended on that note.

7. captain stone

Ratings:
    +4,843
    And while I'm here, can someone please explain to me what kind of blocking setup was called for 2nd/5 on Philly's 9 late in the first quarter during the Pats opening drive? Made no sense to me, then and now, and I wasn't surprised in the slightest that White was stuffed for barely one yard.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. ashley1992

ashley1992 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10,825
    Robert Snyder‏ @RobbieBuckets
    Robert Snyder Retweeted Fran Duffy

@MikeGiardi - watch Elandon Roberts at 1:00. This is early in the game and he's so confused by RPO's that he turns to cover someone AFTER a handoff.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. captain stone

Ratings:
    +4,843
    Elandon Roberts & Glitch Richards are complete disgraces to the uniform.

If these two useless piles of garbage (and GeeNo Gruesome) are still in the building by Opening Day, then Bill should be fired...by torches & pitchforks.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. chris_in_sunnyvale

chris_in_sunnyvale In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,225
    A note on TOP and snap counts...

Official TOP for Eagles was 34:04 vs. 25:56 for NE. On its face, it looks like the Pats D was on the field more which may have contributed to the D "tiring out" or something along those lines. Not so fast...

TOP in the first half was 16:48 vs. 13:12 in favor of Philly, but that's primarily because the Eagles did a better job of keeping the clock running between plays. Not counting penalties or FG attempts /punts, both teams ran 36 plays. Prior to the final drive to end the half, Philly had a 36-31 snap advantage. I wouldn't consider that all that large, let alone "tiring" to the Pats D.

After the long halftime which hopefully gave the teams a breather, the Pats took the lead with 9:22 in the 4th. At that point, the Pats had a 25-19 snap (including the final 10 snaps) and an 11:27 to 9:11 TOP 2nd half advantage.

What happened next obviously determined the game, as Philly went on a 14 play go-ahead drive that killed 7:01. That being said, I find it tough to argue that the Pats D was gassed due to some perceived TOP imbalance heading into that fateful drive. They just couldn't get a stop to save their lives.

Regards,
    Chris

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Pessimistic Pete

Pessimistic Pete In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,773
    I can never rewatch this SB and have not watched (nor will ever watch) a single highlight package of the game.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  12. long distance

long distance Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +17,938

great job luuked on above clips.

this zig zag Ertz play was on the menu of every single analysis out there for 14 days so Gilmore could do a better job here.

what this clip shows is how everything people whine about is there - good coverage on a difficult play to cover all and also good pass rush . one wrong step by arguably best NE defender in the playoffs and the painful conversion is made (and all the easy dump gets thrown at D, MP, BB etc)

what all these clips show is that this actually was a game of inches on almost every play to the point of uncanny . and vast majority of those inches went both O ways. So it was not so much that suddenly both D's were bad . but more they were both on the wrong side of inches 90% of the time (and like 99% of the time in crucial situations).

But is much more simple to just say D sucked..

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. long distance

Ratings:
    +17,938

this is too harsh on Guy and LBs . and somewhat non-analytic for the thread..;)

LB is a tough business in today's game and most teams suffer there. We were salivating over Kendricks . yet I can't remember him stopping much Pats O did..

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +17,042
    I agree with everything you said. Unfortunately most people somehow prefer to just scratch the surface and are satisfied blaming the Butler situation for all eternity instead of actually trying to understand what went wrong on the field.

Just by how some people attacking Rowe even though he didn't play that bad after the first drive you can see that there is not much effort involved.

I think if you look through the "tape" it becomes pretty obvious that the "issues" had more to do with the front 7 than the secondary. Roberts only had 2 tackles in the entire game. 2 tackles. He was in for almost 60% of snaps (58.7%).

There are multiple clips of him reading hand-offs wrong and going into coverage opening up the entire MOF for the Eagles RB.

I get that hammering on the LB sounds too opinionated for the rewatch thread but it was really that bad in my opinion. I am fine with 90% of people bitching about that missed tackle by Bademosi it is obviously "not ideal" but those things happen. What shocked me a lot more was how easily and consistently the Eagles exploited the slow physical and mental speed of our LBs.

Anyway.. I think I am done for a while with this game. I might revisit it after FA and the draft to see if any roster moves would have made any difference against an attack like that.

• Like Like x 2
  15. long distance

Ratings:
    +17,938

With all the trash on D, MP, BB . BB managed to bring the team to a winning situation like he usually does - 2:21, 2 time outs, 6 points needed for win, ball in TB hands - Id guess that's a 80% winning scenario ..

When Long hit Keenum's hand from right side rush and the game took a definite PHI turn I said to myself this could never happen to Brady (from that side in such game/situation) . he'd sooner throw it away or secure it to his body like he usually does. This one will bite him for a long while for sure..

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. long distance

Ratings:
    +17,938

good post, Hammer and just wonderful Costanza analogy, kudos

17. PP2

PP2 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +6,182

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. PP2

PP2 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +6,182

• Useful Useful x 2
  19. The_Riddler

The_Riddler 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +523
    The illegal crossing pick play on DMac on the Critical 4th pass to Ertz that is always flagged but for some reason wasn't was a game changer. Had that not happened and we take over at that point on the Eagle 45, it's game over. That was so blatant and the officials looked the other way. This and our coach sitting Butler for not one qtr but all four are the two things I will never forget....

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. ZoisKing

ZoisKing Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +455
    One great defensive play from Brady carving that D up again and adding another title in sensational fashion. Not getting a chance to see that happen sucks the most.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1