PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Results Are In, Chad Jackson Is A 1st Year Bust!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lynn Swann rookie year 11 catches, 208 yds, 2 TD's Hall of fame
john Stallworth 16 catches, 269 yds, 1 TD Hall of fame

CJ has as many TD's as these two combined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsWickedPissah
{Insert numerous meaningless stats about a few fine wideouts' 1st years, while neglecting the vast preponderance of other WR BUSTS with CJ type stats}

Thank you for playing!

on a lighter note...he did do a great job run blocking i saw him completely clear out a defender on one block which encourages me...i mean he pushed the guy back at least 5 yards...This shows me he is trying to get into the game and is trying to get more playing time...
Was it a run block or a flanker screen to Thomas? He moved one guy over 8 yds on the screen.

I'm fine with that hope. He was drafted because of his excellent physical talents, size & speed. My concern is with rumors that CJ's problems keeping him off the field and invisible when on it are 'head problems'. Next season should tell if he's on the Bethel career path or not.

There's a slight possibility that he might use his ongoing practise time wisely and contribute some by playoff time. Love to see him make a couple chain moving catches in the Pats' February victory. Then this thread could be retired.

I remember you doing the same exact thing with Daniel Graham when he was a rookie.

YAAAAWN.

Give it a rest.

Quote:
{Insert numerous meaningless stats about a few fine wideouts' 1st years, while neglecting the vast preponderance of other WR BUSTS with CJ type stats}

Thank you for playing!

Right or wrong, I fail to see what satisfaction posters get by calling players "busts".

We're 10-4 and preparing for the playoffs yet all anybody can talk about are things we can't do anything about this season.

We cut Gabriel and Pass, picked up a couple guys and that's it, probably. We have our team and need to whip it into shape for the big games,

If we were under .500 and out of the playoffs, I could see people moaning about what could have been, but we're one of the top AFC teams now.

What really cracks me up is if we had drafted a LB in the second everyone would have been screaming we should have drafted a WR.

LOL.:D

Quote:

Thank you for playing!

I am surprised that I am responding to someone who is so completely close minded as to believe that this season has any predictive measure on Chad's future success, but what the hell.

You thought that your post was so quick witted, but it actually exposed your ignorance even further. The point of those comparisons is that the vast majority of WRs, even the great ones past and present, started off slowly.

Besides that, of course there would be a larger amount of flops than success. Between the draft and UDFAs, nearly 600 rookies will be brought into a league of about 2,000 players. Simple logic tells you that there will be more flops than successes.

Lastly, what is it with all the attempts to glorify everything. Do you even know what a bust is? Or that, by definition, there cannot be a "first year bust"?

I have no problem with the draft of a WR in the 2nd or with the choice of CJ then based on the available information. It made very good sense.

I am saying that he in his personal contribution to the 2006 Pats has been a bust. NO ST contribution (unlike prior #2 WR pick bust Bethel Johnson who did contribute on STs) and minimal contribution at WR.

It's obvious that the Patriots braintrust DID expect more from this kid this season given the WR situation they faced last spring. He has not performed even to rookie expectations. Combine that lack of contribution in a position where the opportunity to contribute is wide open due to lack of stellar competition and you have this season's dilemma. Then add the dozen or more threads here since April touting CJ as the second coming and you get this one thread highlighting his non performance. Somehow, anything critiqing this guy really bothers some folks.

I have no problem with the draft of a WR in the 2nd or with the choice of CJ then based on the available information. It made very good sense.

I am saying that he in his personal contribution to the 2006 Pats has been a bust. NO ST contribution (unlike prior #2 WR pick bust Bethel Johnson who did contribute on STs) and minimal contribution at WR.

It's obvious that the Patriots braintrust DID expect more from this kid this season given the WR situation they faced last spring. He has not performed even to rookie expectations. Combine that lack of contribution in a position where the opportunity to contribute is wide open due to lack of stellar competition and you have this season's dilemma. Then add the dozen or more threads here since April touting CJ as the second coming and you get this one thread highlighting his non performance. Somehow, anything critiqing this guy really bothers some folks.

I agree with everything you said but the last line, and it is thinking like this that makes you come across as a hardheaded fool.

I don't think that you will find anyone who isn't at leat a little disappointed in the season that Jackson has had. It isn't the critique that causes the commotion, it is the manner that you do it.

I think you just illustrated my point about how it really bothers some folks.

1st year bust, absolutely. But not ruling him out for next year or the year after. Consider these first year performances:

Joe Horn (1996) 2 rec, 30 yards, 0 TD
Santana Moss (2001) 2 rec, 40 yards, 0 TD
Donald Driver (1999) 3 rec, 31 yards, 1 TD
Steve Smith (2001): 10 rec, 154 yards, 0 TD
Hines Ward (1998) 15 rec, 246 yards, 0 TD
Plaxico Burress (2000) 22 rec, 273 yards, 0 TD
Eric Moulds (1996) 20 rec, 279 yards, 2 TD
Isaac Bruce (1994) 20 rec, 272 yards, 3 TD
Javon Walker (2002) 23 rec, 319 yards, 1 TD
Chad Johnson (2001) 28 rec, 329 yards, 1 TD
Laveranues Coles (2000) 22 rec, 370 yards, 1 TD

These are some of the best wide receivers in the NFL today, some drafted high (Burress, Moss, Walker, Moulds), some drafted very low or not at all (Driver, Horn) and they didn't do much in their first seasons. He might end up in this elite class, he might not. It's too early to tell one way or the other.

Again as with several others, yes many future quality wideouts did not have big 1st years.

Just how many of these rookies were on teams where they could not get PT or QB attention because they had 2 or more quality NFL wideouts firmly entrenched as starters? The opportunity to contribute a few catches per game was and is wide open here.

At least we're no longer reading those posts about how Tom Brady can make any wideout into a NFL star.

I remember you doing the same exact thing with Daniel Graham when he was a rookie.

Good memory, but shall we say somewhat selective?
I had critcized Graham's debut year for 'hands of stone'. I was quite pleased later to agree that he's a keeper based on his solid contributions. Hope to see him get a good $ offer from the Pats next year.

Since you have excellent memory you'll also remember that I was a pre-season 2001 major proponent that Brady had out-played Bledsoe. Supported the decision to start him when Drew went down and to have him continue at QB. That was a 'controversial' postion at the time. Lots of ire from the Bledsoe fans. And you'll also remember training camp posts lauding the recently departed WR who is now dead to me as being outstanding in camp (in direct contrast to Graham). And you'll remember very positive reviews of the neophyte Givens as well.

Funny how memory works.

But anyway, that was then, this is now. It means squat.

I had critcized Graham's debut year for 'hands of stone'. I was quite pleased later to agree that he's a keeper based on his solid contributions. Hope to see him get a good $ offer from the Pats next year.

Since you have excellent memory you'll also remember that I was a pre-season 2001 major proponent that Brady had out-played Bledsoe. Supported the decision to start him when Drew went down and to have him continue at QB. That was a 'controversial' postion at the time. Lots of ire from the Bledsoe fans. And you'll also remember training camp posts lauding the recently departed WR who is now dead to me as being outstanding in camp (in direct contrast to Graham). And you'll remember very positive reviews of the neophyte Givens as well.

Funny how memory works.

Remind me to be sick when my school's debate team goes up against your school's team.

I posted this in my review from being at the game but will copy it in here....
Jackson, he was in there at least 12-15 plays (saw somewhere it was 19) I want to say. It seemed he wasnt ever in there on 3rd downs and a lot of the plays he was in there they were running away from him. Not saying he is being used as a decoy (I think you would have to be productive to do that), but just something I noticed. I also am sure on one play he was Bradys first read but he must have either A) been well covered or B) not come out of his break on time because brady checked off and went the opposite side. In the second half when the game was already out of reach there were a few times when he was singled up on the outside and I was wishing (although I knew it wouldnt happen given the score) to hit him on a stop and go route because there was no safety help. Also I have to believe he will be used in the red zone on a fade route before the year is over. if not then there truely is something wrong with him because he has too much physical talent to not be utlized.

Funny how memory works.

I really don't care, to be honest. I don't care that you were an original Brady Lady, or that you were Givens' rump ranger pal before he became one of the club's go-to WRs. The fact is: you labeled Graham a bust then. A BUST. Solely, I may add, based on the dropsies he displayed early on. And anyone who tried to bring up his merits was met with the exact same smarm you're hitting everyone else with who dares to defend Chad Jackson or argue that he deserves more time before being called a ...oh yeah- the same word you applied to Graham: Bust. Funny how reality works

In any case- your self-promotion about Brady and Givens is a major turn-off here. I mean- who really cares, anyway? What are your self-serving little props to yourself going to accomplish for you anyway? YAAAAAWN.

I just found it interesting that like Graham, you're up to the same old tricks. You really do yourself a disservice as a "knowledgeable fan" with it all, but then again- maybe you're one of these folks who just enjoys saying outlandish things to get a rise out of people? I don't know. But I do know that coming from you, this thread doesn't surprise me in the least.

Yes, I have been wrong on occasion. My bad.

Again as with several others, yes many future quality wideouts did not have big 1st years.

Just how many of these rookies were on teams where they could not get PT or QB attention because they had 2 or more quality NFL wideouts firmly entrenched as starters? The opportunity to contribute a few catches per game was and is wide open here.

At least we're no longer reading those posts about how Tom Brady can make any wideout into a NFL star.

Joe Horn (1996) 2 rec, 30 yards, 0 TD
Chris Penn and Tamarick Vanover

Santana Moss (2001) 2 rec, 40 yards, 0 TD
Laveranues Coles and Wayne Chrebet

Donald Driver (1999) 3 rec, 31 yards, 1 TD
Antonio Freeman and Bill Schroeder

Steve Smith (2001): 10 rec, 154 yards, 0 TD
Muhsin Muhammad and Donald Hayes

Hines Ward (1998) 15 rec, 246 yards, 0 TD
Charles Johnson and Courtney Hawkins

Plaxico Burress (2000) 22 rec, 273 yards, 0 TD
Hines Ward and Bobby Shaw

Eric Moulds (1996) 20 rec, 279 yards, 2 TD
Andre Reed and Quinn Early

Isaac Bruce (1994) 20 rec, 272 yards, 3 TD
Flipper Anderson and Jessie Hester

Javon Walker (2002) 23 rec, 319 yards, 1 TD
Donald Driver and Terry Glenn

Chad Johnson (2001) 28 rec, 329 yards, 1 TD
Peter Warrick and Darnay Scott

Laveranues Coles (2000) 22 rec, 370 yards, 1 TD
Wayne Chrebet and Dedric Ward

Truth be told, I'm not seeing a whole lot of examples here of starters that are really superior to the Reche Caldwell/Troy Brown combo.

I really don't care, to be honest. I don't care that you were an original Brady Lady, or that you were Givens' rump ranger pal before he became one of the club's go-to WRs. The fact is: you labeled Graham a bust then. A BUST. Solely, I may add, based on the dropsies he displayed early on. And anyone who tried to bring up his merits was met with the exact same smarm you're hitting everyone else with who dares to defend Chad Jackson or argue that he deserves more time before being called a ...oh yeah- the same word you applied to Graham: Bust. Funny how reality works

In any case- your self-promotion about Brady and Givens is a major turn-off here. I mean- who really cares, anyway? What are your self-serving little props to yourself going to accomplish for you anyway? YAAAAAWN.

I just found it interesting that like Graham, you're up to the same old tricks. You really do yourself a disservice as a "knowledgeable fan" with it all, but then again- maybe you're one of these folks who just enjoys saying outlandish things to get a rise out of people? I don't know. But I do know that coming from you, this thread doesn't surprise me in the least.

YAAAAAWN....whatever it is, it seems to be catching on.

You cant seem to get off a rookies back for a season which he wasnt a big part of. Big deal, give him another year, THEN start bashing him in the way you see fit. I even hate the term "1st Year" Bust. That doesnt make any sense. If you are a bust, your a bust. It doesnt matter if its your first, second, or third season. And the 1st season is far too early to call many people busts. Not to mention Jackson is tied having the most recieving TD's on the team. I'd first want to see something about his skills or how he plays that proves he is a bad, poor player that will get nowhere because he sucks.

If you would've told me in April, on Draft Day, that Chad Jackson would be available in the second round-after picking up Maroney in round 1-but in week 15 he'd have 10 catches for 131 yards and 3 TDs, as well as suffering through a season-long groin injury, I would've said......DRAFT HIM!!!!!
I didn't expect Jackson to be a go-to guy this year anyways, and I think when all is said and done, he'll be a good receiver in this league. Declaring receivers (or any player in general) a bust after 15 weeks is hilarious.

There's too much instant gratification in sports today. Let the player develop and learn.

If you would've told me in April, on Draft Day, that Chad Jackson would be available in the second round-after picking up Maroney in round 1-but in week 15 he'd have 10 catches for 131 yards and 3 TDs, as well as suffering through a season-long groin injury, I would've said......DRAFT HIM!!!!!
I didn't expect Jackson to be a go-to guy this year anyways, and I think when all is said and done, he'll be a good receiver in this league. Declaring receivers (or any player in general) a bust after 15 weeks is hilarious.

There's too much instant gratification in sports today. Let the player develop and learn.

EXACTLY. Thanks for introducing sanity into the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes