RB: C+
WR: B
TE: B-

DL: B-
LB: B+
Secondary: A-

Special Teams: B+ (changed from A-)

Last edited:
It's a tough way to look at things. For example the front seven was good with pass rushing, but horrible at stopping the run.

Too low for QB. Was that a B performance for a rookie QB's first road game? Why rate Mac Jones like he's a 10 year vet?

Special teams A-??? A kickoff out of bounds, missed extra point, and at least one good kickoff run back. Nice day for Folk despite the missed extra point though.

WR B? - They performed as well as Mac Jones????

It's a tough way to look at things. For example the front seven was good with pass rushing, but horrible at stopping the run.

Too low for QB. Was that a B performance for a rookie QB's first road game? Why rate Mac Jones like he's a 10 year vet?

Special teams A-??? A kickoff out of bounds, missed extra point, and at least one good kickoff run back. Nice day for Folk despite the missed extra point though.

WR B? - They performed as well as Mac Jones????
Forgot about the missed XP so yeah I’ll make it B+. Folk had a great game otherwise and so did Bailey punting so that was my original grade.

I did grade Mac as a rookie QB playing his first road game. A vet QB with 6.2 yards per attempt and passer rating in the 80s with at least 2 plays that should have been turnovers might earn a C or less.

Last edited:
I did grade Mac as a rookie QB playing his first road game. A vet QB with 6.2 yards per attempt and passer rating in the 80s with at least 2 plays that should have been turnovers might earn a C or less.

OK we disagree. They are greatly limiting what Mac can do, and coaching him to take this conservative approach. He is doing exactly what the team wants. The results were clear on the other side what happens when a rookie QB is not handled this way.

It's like grading the pizza poorly because it is the only food at a pizza party.

OK we disagree. They are greatly limiting what Mac can do, and coaching him to take this conservative approach. He is doing exactly what the team wants. The results were clear on the other side what happens when a rookie QB is not handled this way.

It's like grading the pizza poorly because it is the only food at a pizza party.
I agree the reins are on him but IMO that was still not quite an A-grade game.

6.2 YPA might have been fine in Brady's first season as starter but it doesn't cut it in the modern NFL and it won't for sure in a couple of weeks when he's asked to keep up with Brady and the Bucs offense.

I agree the reins are on him but IMO that was still not quite an A-grade game.

6.2 YPA might have been fine in Brady's first season as starter but it doesn't cut it in the modern NFL and it won't for sure in a couple of weeks when he's asked to keep up with Brady and the Bucs offense.

No it won't cut it.

Our difference of opinion is rooted in whether BB is more focused on wins or QB development right now. I think he will sacrifice the chance for better short term results to avoid the mess the Jets dealt with yesterday. He knows over the course of a season this will lead to more wins anyway.

Can't blame Mac for that. He did his job.

Just based on Harris's td run, I would give them a B...thought White had a good game as well.

No it won't cut it.

Our difference of opinion is rooted in whether BB is more focused on wins or QB development right now. I think he will sacrifice the chance for better short term results to avoid the mess the Jets dealt with yesterday. He knows over the course of a season this will lead to more wins anyway.

Can't blame Mac for that. He did his job.

It’s the same playbook. Guys are still running the higher risk, higher reward routes. Mac can throw to them if he wants. The Jets defense gave him the high percentage, low reward stuff all day.

I highly doubt NFL coaches are telling the QB not to throw passes downfield if they think they can hit them.

It’s the same playbook. Guys are still running the higher risk, higher reward routes. Mac can throw to them if he wants. The Jets defense gave him the high percentage, low reward stuff all day.

I highly doubt NFL coaches are telling the QB not to throw passes downfield if they think they can hit them.
spot on!!! most plays have short and long options. A good QB (which Mac already is) weighs the risk versus reward.

How'd it turn out for the opposing rookie QB that took risks?

spot on!!! most plays have short and long options. A good QB (which Mac already is) weighs the risk versus reward.

How'd it turn out for the opposing rookie QB that took risks?

Most of Wilson’s gaffes weren’t even high-risk…they were just errant throws. Anyway, my point is that I don’t think Mac is on a leash by coaches. Risk:reward is another question altogether.

Most of Wilson’s gaffes weren’t even high-risk…they were just errant throws. Anyway, my point is that I don’t think Mac is on a leash by coaches. Risk:reward is another question altogether.
I agree to agree???? never had that happen before

Players need to start holding on to the god **** ball, thats for certain

It's only a matter of time before defenses try to force Mac's hand and take away the short stuff. Wouldn't surprise me if that's how Sean Payton draws it up next Sunday.

If he tries to bring that 6.2 YPA stuff to the Bucs game the Pats are gonna get creamed. Throw it downfield and force defenses to respect that you can. There's nothing that says a good rookie QB shouldn't be allowed to try it.

Last edited:
I'm not the only one who thought Mac did not have an A grade worthy game.

Called out some checkdowns where there were better options. According to this he's also currently ranked 3rd last in the league in air yards for QB's who played all of both games.

Last edited:
QB: C .......risk free efficiency in a training wheel passing offense.
Started game 8/8 for 29 yds
Lots of high throws compared to pin point precision vs MIA.
More of a grade on the current passing philosophy than the QB

OL: C........not delivering...................................................................................yet

RB: B......mediocre OL affects this grade, as does running into the pile when clear space is available on the edges. Several great individual efforts.

WR: B.........sure hands when targeted, but rarely targeted. Still waiting for some YAC.

TE: B.........Two weeks into the new season, I believe this grouping has already equaled or come very close to equaling last year's catch total.
Smith should have secured the highish pass. Loved the Henry seam catch.

DL: C........2nd week DL looked smallish vs opposing OLs, often getting pushed backwards

LB: B........Loved Uche's pass rush in the 4th. Uche's holding the edge....not so much
As a hole, LB grouping easily surpassed their Miami effort.
Time will tell how Jets-related this improvement was.

Secondary: A..................Clearly Zach Jones is color blind because he kept targeting blue players.
How bout the Pats "tip drill" proficiency....even pulling off a "double tip"

Special Teams: B
Bailey/Folk just above average -each with one blemish / coverage - not so much.

QB: C .......risk free efficiency in a training wheel passing offense.
Started game 8/8 for 29 yds
Lots of high throws compared to pin point precision vs MIA.
More of a grade on the current passing philosophy than the QB

OL: C........not delivering...................................................................................yet

RB: B......mediocre OL affects this grade, as does running into the pile when clear space is available on the edges. Several great individual efforts.

WR: B.........sure hands when targeted, but rarely targeted. Still waiting for some YAC.

TE: B.........Two weeks into the new season, I believe this grouping has already equaled or come very close to equaling last year's catch total.
Smith should have secured the highish pass. Loved the Henry seam catch.

DL: C........2nd week DL looked smallish vs opposing OLs, often getting pushed backwards

LB: B........Loved Uche's pass rush in the 4th. Uche's holding the edge....not so much
As a hole, LB grouping easily surpassed their Miami effort.
Time will tell how Jets-related this improvement was.

Secondary: A..................Clearly Zach Jones is color blind because he kept targeting blue players.
How bout the Pats "tip drill" proficiency....even pulling off a "double tip"

Special Teams: B
Bailey/Folk just above average -each with one blemish / coverage - not so much.
All this looks pretty good.

The QB grades are 100% philosophy based, IMO. 22-30 for 186 yards is pretty pedestrian, but he's doing what is asked. Looks like the kid takes coaching very well, and isn't deviating from the plan.

QB: B
OL: C-
RB: C+
WR: B
TE: B-

DL: B-
LB: B+
Secondary: A-

Special Teams: B+ (changed from A-)
QB: C
•Did what he needed to in order to move the ball. RZ woes continue. Got lucky on yet another fumble.

OL: D
•No consistency here. Depth at RT is clearly an issue. Wynn seems like he’s rusty or regressed. Those penalties have got to stop! Pocket never seems very clean. Every once in a while you’d see a huge hole for a RB, then nothing play after play. Very inconsistent.

RB: B-
•That TD run by Damien Harris was ****ing amazing! YPC was less than 4, but what can you do? Box seems to be stacked, the play calling is vanilla and predictable. This team is trying to play bully ball with no bullys. White led the team with 6 rec. and 45 yards. How gross is that?

WR: F
• Did they even field any WR’s yesterday? I get 1 or 2 guys getting shut down….but every single one of them? No one had the ability to step up and put up some decent numbers? Even if Mac is getting rid of the ball too fast, where’s the slants, the drags, the hooks? Not a single one of these guys had over 40 yards.

TE: D
•1 big play by Henry. Exciting play. Thaaaats about it. Both guys stayed healthy and contributed to the Run and Pass blocking. After 2 weeks, pretty underwhelmed with the results.

DL: C-
•IDL is soft! I’m shocked with how soft they are. Even in known rushing situations, they can’t stop ****. Barmore has been a bright spot in pass rushing situations. I swear Judon gets held at a minimum of every other play. How are these guys not getting warned and then called more for that ****? It’s blatant! Run D continues to be a disappointment.

LB: C
•They flash, then they gas. HT looks as slow as ever, and if Bentley isn’t attacking straight down hill, he looks out of place. I’m really not sure why Uche isn’t getting more playing time. It’s a shame when you feel like your best LB is a Safety. (AP)

DB’s: A
•Without Gilmore, they may not be the most talented cover corners, but they sure are ball hawks. I understand they were playing against a rookie, but they still shut a lot of guys down. Adrian continues to shine all over the field. Duggar has failed to make a jump and pop out in a positive way so far. Maybe all you guys saying he is **** were right and I was wrong. I’ll give them to the end of the season before I concede. All starters contributed this game.

ST’s: A-
•Knocked em down from a + due to Bailey’s shenanigans. Folk is soooo….blah. I mean, who thought this guy would’ve done all he’s done for us? He’s been such a blessing. Cool story that I bet most of us never think twice about.

Overall, the team kicked some serious ass. With 4 turnovers, you expect more of an ass whoopin’ but what can you do? Their are signs that things will get better at times, and I hope they do. After years of RZ problems, something has definitely gotta change. This team is what it is. Unbalanced, and not very Patriot like. A lot of mental mistakes these first two weeks. Excited for the future though and can’t wait to see what this team can accomplish when it begins firing on all cylinders. Onto the Saints!!!

I think they're using a limited portion of the playbook.

I'm not the only one who thought Mac did not have an A grade worthy game.

Called out some checkdowns where there were better options. According to this he's also currently ranked 3rd last in the league in air yards for QB's who played all of both games.

Yes everyone seems to agree with you.

I think Bill tells Mac "if those reporters think you had higher than a B- then you got an F by me. An A means you did more than you are ready for now."

Bill needs to protect Mac from us.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back