PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report card vs Bucs

At first I thought he’s being too hard on the coaches but if you think about it... defense is an A+. They had Brady off guard and That’s solely what kept us in the game. However Offense has gotta be towards a d as they still haven’t figured out how to protect Mac. And their ol personnel isn’t terrible outside of rt, though the lt is a bit of a disappointment. You have to come up with something there, it’s been 4 weeks now . Play calling was pretty uncreative too other than the 2nd td drive which was very good. So as an overall grade it was probably a b for me until the poor decision at the end.

tough grades...

coaching was better than a C+
LB worse than A-
QB- Mac was better than Tom...woudl have given Mac an A

all other grades, can't argue with
Brady Bucs 2021.jpg

I can't agree with your D-Line grade. We gave up 119 rush yards against one of the worst ranked rushing offenses. We had 1 sack, 3 TFL and 3 qb hits. Just for comparison they had 4 sacks, 0 rush yards, 6 qb hits and 12 tackle for loss. I would give the D-Line a C at best and LB a B.

I think that was intentional - part of the game plan. BB resurrected his K-Gun defense and slowed down the Tampa O. Add to that the quick-pace on offense and we have a close game that never got out of hand.

One bad fumble, a tipped pass / pick, and a kick that was a mere yard from being the game winner. The GoaT QB didn't have a TD pass and was well controlled all game.

Now, when the game plan calls for stop the run / let them win in the air, can the D step up and do this? I'm not so sure.

For our running backs , think we are going to need a bigger bench

1633363218500.png

Wide Receiver Grades:

Kendrick Bourne: A- Bourne played well, he has nice hands, he can move the chains. He has a high floor, He just has no ceiling, not an explosive athlete.

Jacobi Meyers: B+. I thought he fumbled and we benefited on that call. Otherwise, he is a very reliable pass catcher and the glue of this offense. He has no YAC ability because he's not fast. Which limits his ceiling to a very good number 3 WR on most teams. He will never make game changing plays, but hell catch a lot of balls and move the chains

Nelson Agolor - D. We paid this guy 13 million per year. He can run, except he can't run that fast. At least not on film so far. He separates well because he can run a bit, but he has terrible hands and bad instincts. His route running is less than desirable for his contract. A decent number 2/3 WR, but he's getting paid like a number 1 which he is not.

N'Keal Harry- D+ . He is what he is at this point. A big, jump ball one trick pony. He is the slowest player on the field. Can't separate. He doesn't know how to utitlize his strength in the red zone because he plays soft. A draft bust and the sooner we get him off the team, the sooner I can get over that blunder of a pick.

The O line is really becoming an issue. Wynn looked terrible against a rookie backup and was lucky he wasn't flagged on that false start. Onwenu looked bad and had two holding calls on that drive and any of the backups that have played RT look like they're lost.

As for coaching we once again looked sloppy. 12 men on the field at one point and then we had to burn a timeout because the sideline was telling Wino to come in and Van Noy was waving him off.

The O line is really becoming an issue. Wynn looked terrible against a rookie backup and was lucky he wasn't flagged on that false start. Onwenu looked bad and had two holding calls on that drive and any of the backups that have played RT look like they're lost.

As for coaching we once again looked sloppy. 12 men on the field at one point and then we had to burn a timeout because the sideline was telling Wino to come in and Van Noy was waving him off.

Wynn is a draft bust. I am done with this dude. DJ Moore and Calvin Ridley were college stars whom were sitting there at 24, and we passed on them for an average guard whose injury prone.

I knocked down the coaching grade for the decision to kick the FG at the end and also near the end of the first half electing to take the penalty and punt instead of going for it.

As an indicator ... what was the teams conversion rate during the game?

2 / 9 ... 22%

As an indicator ... what was the teams conversion rate during the game?

2 / 9 ... 22%

If you break that down it tells a different story.

Made:
3rd and 3
3rd and 4
3rd and 5 (with penalty)

Didn't make
3rd and 9
3rd and 14
3rd and 17
3rd and 12
3rd and 10
3rd and goal (from the 9)
3rd and 3 before the FG attempt.

66% on 3rd and 4 or less. The play was 4th and 3 not 4th and 10.

Can't say because they couldn't make 3rd and really long then that should have discouraged them from going on 4th and 3.

Didn't make

3rd and goal (from the 9)
3rd and 3 before the FG attempt.
thats why you kick the ball

then you factor in the rate the refs were dropping yellow flags on us for phantom penalties... its a no brainer that kicking the ball was the right decision.

I think that was intentional - part of the game plan. BB resurrected his K-Gun defense and slowed down the Tampa O. Add to that the quick-pace on offense and we have a close game that never got out of hand.
I thought about it for a while and while i agree that our defense was better than our offense and held the game close i thought they would be more stout in the front. No matter if we want to let them run bc we don't want to get killed by brady i kind of expected less than 119 rush yards against their offense.
One bad fumble, a tipped pass / pick, and a kick that was a mere yard from being the game winner. The GoaT QB didn't have a TD pass and was well controlled all game.

Now, when the game plan calls for stop the run / let them win in the air, can the D step up and do this? I'm not so sure.
I think many expected HT and KvN to be more stout this year, regarding to HT this was probably a mistake due to a year off.

I think I might have been generous on the Special Teams B grade. A couple of screwups involving Gunner plus almost a muffed punt and the Slater penalty. Gonna bump that down to a C.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back