PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Brady almost left after SB 52 loss to Eagles...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOWTIME15

No asterisks
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score

Things with Belichick got really bad, according to Jeff Benedict's new book...interesting stuff. I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did here...

The friction between Brady and Belichick that simmered throughout 2017 after the Patriots historic Super Bowl win over Atlanta came to a head in the weeks following the Super Bowl loss.

Benedict writes:

Kraft’s paramount concern (after the Super Bowl) was the dynamic between Beichick and Brady. Belichick’s decision to banish (Brady’s body coach and TB12 business partner, Alex) Guerrero from the sideline and the team plane in the middle of the 2017 season had been a tipping point. Kraft knew that Belichick’s methods were grinding on Brady. He also knew that Belichick was tired of the exceptions that Kraft felt were necessary to accommodate a transcendent star. The differences of opinion between Brady and Belichick were more pronounced than ever. Kraft wanted to clear the air.

Benedict went on to detail a meeting between Kraft and Belichick at Davio's Patriot Place. The conversation was “productive” and the two men set up a meeting with Brady at Kraft’s home.

Kraft ushered them into his living room. Belichick took a seat on a chair to Kraft’s right and Brady sat on a couch to Kraft’s left. Hoping to facilitate some constructive dialogue, Kraft told them how important they both were to him. Belichick was diplomatic. Brady was respectful. But the distance between them was obvious.

Soon after, Benedict writes, Kraft summoned Brady and his wife Gisele Bündchen to his home for a discussion. Bündchen took up for Brady. After pointing out how much Brady had done for the organization:

She also pointed out how ridiculous it was that after all these years, Belichick still treated Brady like “f****** Johnny Foxboro.” It was bad enough to never voice approval. It was ******** to still be dressing down the most accomplished quarterback in league history during team meetings and treating his personal trainer and best friend like some kind of outcast.

When the conversation shifted to the future, Brady and Bündchen indicated it was time for them to make some changes that were in the best interest of their family. Among other things, they were contemplating a change of scenery.

Kraft wasn’t surprised by their feelings toward Belichick. He hadn’t, however, expected to hear that Brady and Bündchen wanted to leave New England.

Last edited:
Can't say I blame BB for banishing Guerrero after he started to interfere with the strength and conditioning plans. Also it is only natural that Brady felt the way he felt but at the same time he must have known that he won't get any preferential treatment relative to other players on the team.

Sounds like it is a good thing for all parties involved that he moved on this year. May he find the happiness somewhere else.

I understand why Tom felt the way he felt... but at the same time, the reason why the team has been so successful for so long is specifically because no one is above the team and everyone is treated the same.

Maybe it was indeed time to part ways.

yikes

Can't say I blame BB for banishing Guerrero after he started to interfere with the strength and conditioning plans. Also it is only natural that Brady felt the way he felt but at the same time he must have known that he won't get any preferential treatment relative to other players on the team.

Sounds like it is a good thing for all parties involved that he moved on this year. May he find the happiness somewhere else.
I agree with your first point.

I understand why Tom felt the way he felt... but at the same time, the reason why the team has been so successful for so long is specifically because no one is above the team and everyone is treated the same.

Maybe it was indeed time to part ways.
Its all perspective. Brady probably doesn’t think the success of the team has much to do with him being treated the same as everyone else and he’s friends with other guys in the league like Manning etc. So he knows there’s places where the QB is treated like a king and probably thinks whatever he is asking isn’t a huge deal and Belichick’s just flexing. As fans the question is.... if Belichick maintaining that was worth losing Brady is it meant more Guerrero

The truth is that Brady WAS more important than all the other players. The idea that he wasn't was a fiction, and an obvious fiction. Belichick knew this better than anybody.

Belichick stuck with it anyway because it was a USEFUL fiction from a coaching perspective - but one that only worked if he never let the mask slip.

Last edited:
The truth is that Brady WAS more important than all the other players. The idea that he wasn't was a fiction, and an obvious fiction. Belichick new this better than anybody.

Belichick stuck with it anyway because it was a USEFUL fiction from a coaching perspective - but one that only worked if he never let the mask slip.

Of course he was more important than the other players. QB is probably the most important position in team sports.

However, the reason why the Patriots were so successful is because they had a QB that 100% bought into the team concept and did not see himself as bigger than the rest of the team. That's why all his teammates loved him so much. That's why you NEVER hear any former teammate ***** about him. That's why you have guys in TB saying how much they love him already.

Brady led by example and was accountable for his every mistakes. Having the MAIN GUY accept and thrive under that kind of regime is what makes the regime work. There is no denying that.

Tom got tired of it and thought he had earned some slack... which is true. As sad as I am that he left, I understand why he did and I understand why BB could not or would not change his approach. I would not have worked with all QBs. A diva like Manning would have gotten BB fired within 3 years.

Belichick is cut throat...there is no doubt about it, and you have to be to be a successful GM. He has moved on from Seymour, Law, Bledsoe, Malloy, etc. Truth is Brady wasn't great his last 2 years in NE, which gave all the leverage to BB, who had a desire to get a younger QB.

The truth is that Brady WAS more important than all the other players. The idea that he wasn't was a fiction, and an obvious fiction. Belichick new this better than anybody.

It’s useful as long as Brady is cool with it. Once he wasn’t, it really was on Belichick to loosen up.

It’s useful as long as Brady is cool with it. Once he wasn’t, it really was on Belichick to loosen up.
They won the SB the very next season... was it on BB to loosen up ? Most owners would kill for that ONE championship.

Too many feelings. Brady is the greatest player the League has seen : competitive, clutch, hard working, good teammate, champ. Still, winning overtakes all of that. i’d choose winning every day over « making someone feel good ». Brady as a 40 year old is pretty sensitive about this stuff - if true. « Johnny Foxboro ». So what ? Get over yourself.

They won the SB the very next season... was it on BB to loosen up ? Most owners would kill for that ONE championship.

Too many feelings. Brady is the greatest player the League has seen : competitive, clutch, hard working, good teammate, champ. Still, winning overtakes all of that. i’d choose winning every day over « making someone feel good ». Brady as a 40 year old is pretty sensitive about this stuff - if true. « Johnny Foxboro ». So what ? Get over yourself.
Brady almost left and had to be strong armed into that season by Kraft. And now he is gone. The fact that Kraft was able to keep him an extra year so they could win doesn’t change that. If anything you should thank Brady more for swallowing his pride for a season to get his contract over with. Now we will see what happens now that Belichick ran Brady out

I think a real important question here is would Bill have handled it differently if TB did this in his twenties?

A forty year old player starts asking for concessions and as cold as it sounds that's when it's time for Bill to stick with the hardline.

Last edited:
Brady almost left and had to be strong armed into that season by Kraft. And now he is gone. The fact that Kraft was able to keep him an extra year so they could win doesn’t change that. If anything you should thank Brady more for swallowing his pride for a season to get his contract over with. Now we will see what happens now that Belichick ran Brady out
« ran Brady out »
That just screams out Brady apologist. « Swallowing his pride »
Same. He is beloved by fans, teammates, media... BB feels like treating all players similarly is a way to build a team and encourage UFAs to choose NE. It works.

I’m better and more experienced than some of my colleagues. I don’t need to « swallow my pride ». I go to work within the bargaining agreement, get paid, and work.

Brady benefitted greatly from the very system many seem to loath.

Are you recommending the book having read it? Sincere question, would like to hear some feedback.

Haven't read it yet, but based on the excerpts I've seen I can tell it's going to have a lot of interesting stuff...

69d94b2da11ead72320bb62c15d271ed.gif

That doesn't necessarily mean that he gets that much more rope than other captains or veterans in the locker room.Ultimately you want your leadership to be representative of the locker room culture and see them practicing it. That is true for the 20m dollar guy as much as the guy on a rookie deal even though the closer to the fringe you are the shorter your rope.

If Brady wasn't happy anymore with being coached the same way as others then there was no way to prolong the collaboration without compromising on that culture. And good on him to practically bite on his lips until he was out there and not having some kind of confrontation during the season.

There is no evidence of any kind that “Belichick ran Brady out. Brady left by 100% his own choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots