PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss suggests the Pats might be concerned with Butler off the field

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Reiss, but that is really just speculation that doesn't seem to have any basis in fact. It's not fair to throw shade on the man's character off the field unless he has evidence, in which case he needs to report it. Otherwise it's just a stream of consciousness with no journalistic value.

Interesting theory, but only a theory. Seems more to me that Reiss, along with all the rest of the media are looking for something to fill time before any real news comes out.

In other words, more gossip.

I wonder if this will become the narrative the next couple of days.

I like Reiss, but that is really just speculation that doesn't seem to have any basis in fact. It's not fair to throw shade on the man's character off the field unless he has evidence, in which case he needs to report it. Otherwise it's just a stream of consciousness with no journalistic value.
Pretty irresponsible if you ask me.

I've noticed in the past with Reiss that when he throws stuff like this out there it means he's been hearing things from players, coaches and others close to the team but can't come out and say it. Instead he offers it up as an op/ed.

I've noticed in the past with Reiss that when he throws stuff like this out there it means he's been hearing things from players, coaches and others close to the team but can't come out and say it. Instead he offers it up as an op/ed.

He's not really saying anything though. He's just implying things, which is totally unfair and out of character for him. Either be a journalist or be a "they hate their coach" style hot-taker, don't try to be both.

It's either;
a) A disinformation campaign by the Pat's front office via Reiss to impugn Butler's character and justify the split.
b) There is something character-wise there but Reiss can't report it because he doesn't have enough evidence.
c) Reiss is speculating to fill space and time and casting aspersions on Butler when he has done nothing wrong....

I wonder if, after the circus surrounding a certain Tight End who shall not be named, but currently stands trial in a double homicide, the team is just a bit more careful about due diligence when giving out long term extensions.. In all the stories about Butler, has anyone seen anything to remotely question his actions off the field? I haven't seen any...and hope that the Pats' front office isn't resorting to dirty tricks to smear him.........I hope it is just Reiss speculating because I'd like to think that Butler is a stand up guy and that there is "nothing there".

Nothin to see here. Slow day at his keyboard,
26 yr old Gilmore is married with two children. 27 yr old Butler is single.
Thanx Mike, saved me time lookin that up on Wiki.

He's not really saying anything though. He's just implying things, which is totally unfair and out of character for him. Either be a journalist or be a "they hate their coach" style hot-taker, don't try to be both.

I agree. It's a speculation piece. He's walking a very fine line here to being Perez Hilton of the NFL here.

But I have no doubt he's hearing something from someone. Whether it's true or not is a different discussion

It's either;
a) A disinformation campaign by the Pat's front office via Reiss to impugn Butler's character and justify the split.
b) There is something character-wise there but Reiss can't report it because he doesn't have enough evidence.
c) Reiss is speculating to fill space and time and casting aspersions on Butler when he has done nothing wrong....

I wonder if, after the circus surrounding a certain Tight End who shall not be named, but currently stands trial in a double homicide, the team is just a bit more careful about due diligence when giving out long term extensions.. In all the stories about Butler, has anyone seen anything to remotely question his actions off the field? I haven't seen any...and hope that the Pats' front office isn't resorting to dirty tricks to smear him.........I hope it is just Reiss speculating because I'd like to think that Butler is a stand up guy and that there is "nothing there".

Well put.

I'm suspecting B. :(

If he was such a risk, why did the Pats offer MB a long term contract last year??

Why are they "assuming the risk" to tender him as a RFA for $3.9 million next year??

All of this speculation is due to an incompetent agent, who is not doing a good job of representing his client.

Any contract you enter into assumes a certain amount of risk..

I agree. It's a speculation piece. He's walking a very fine line here to being Perez Hilton of the NFL here.

But I have no doubt he's hearing something from someone. Whether it's true or not is a different discussion

I agree he's hearing it from someone but as a journalist he should either verify what he's heard and then report it as fact, even if it's "Patriots sources have told me..." or, if he can't verify what he's been told following investigation, not write anything bringing the man's character into question. He's normally a good journalist, he doesn't need to become a propaganda peddler for the organization.

It's either;

I don't think it's the org reaching out to Reiss with the intent to start a whisper campaign vs Malcolm. I'm also sure BB has shared with Payton what they know about Malcolm.

When it comes to personal conduct every org has a different level of tolerance. What might be ok w NO might be an issue in NE.

So here comes the BS smear campaign on another fine player's way out the door :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I agree he's hearing it from someone but as a journalist he should either verify what he's heard and then report it as fact, even if it's "Patriots sources have told me..." or, if he can't verify what he's been told following investigation, not write anything bringing the man's character into question. He's normally a good journalist, he doesn't need to become a propaganda peddler for the organization.
So you are assuming is the NEP feeding him info with the intention to put shade on Malcolm? Interesting theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes