PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: no SBLI rematch for 2017 opener & other post-Phoenix background stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also interesting take on Solder and possible drafting of OT.

In 2011, the Patriots entered the offseason knowing the next season would be the last for starting left tackle Matt Light. That led them to draft Colorado offensive tackle Nate Solder in the first round. The theory was that Solder could benefit from a year of grooming behind the scenes before stepping in for Light. This year, with Solder set to enter the final year of his contract, the club would be following its modus operandi by strongly considering a fallback option in the draft should Solder depart in free agency after the 2017 season. Usually, the Patriots are thinking two years ahead, especially at premium positions such as left tackle. Their current situation traces to 2015, when they signed Solder to a two-year, $20 million extension, a unusual pact because it was for only two years. When the club inks a core player in his prime years to an extension, it’s generally for at least double that length.

There were quite a few OT workouts in the last days of the lower ranked prospects so it certainly is intriguing situation with maybe searching a just-in-case option this year and maybe going all-in in next years better crop..

The ****ification of the NFL continues.

Losing Super Bowl teams are now to emotionally fragile to open the season against their master? Get the Falcon's emotional support, petting dogs to get them through the night terrors.
A better solution might be a clock management, summer seminar for their head coach.

They need shock treatment and group therapy.

And a bite stick

There's ligitamately no other compelling matchup available.

No one is clamoring for the Pats to open against any AFC East team. The Chiefs, Chargers and Texans are all meh opponents and the Panthers would be a decent, yet totally random banner night opponent.

So....yeah, Falcons come on down to Foxboro in your fragile mind state.

I could only see the Chiefs, maybe Dolphins being the only other games that are feasible.

Cmon now though.. Really? Are you giving the Falcons a safe space to go with that Roger?

It's the NFL. The Falcons-Patriots match-up probably has more to do with ratings and networks and how they distribute marquee games than with the teams' preferences.

My guess is they'll open against the Chargers since it will be their first game in LA. From a Patriots perspective, that's probably the best possible match-up since they don't have to do the cross-country flight later in the season and get an extra three days to recover from it, and it's a game they should win without much difficulty.

I've no way to prove it, but I bet that, if the situation were reversed and the Pats had just lost the Super Bowl, playing the opener against the champs would be JUST what Belichick would want to challenge his team with.

Given Rivera's whining, it's now easier to see how Cam continues to be one of the biggest ****sies in the league.

Contrast that to BB,TB & co., who would lick their chops at playing a team in the opener that had just beat them in the SB.
Damn, are y'all competitors or pushovers?

That's a terrible idea in a sea of them from the NFL. Falcons at Pats for the opener is really the ONLY game that makes sense.

The ****ification of the NFL continues.

Losing Super Bowl teams are now to emotionally fragile to open the season against their master? Get the Falcon's emotional support, petting dogs to get them through the night terrors.
A better solution might be a clock management, summer seminar for their head coach.

I don't think fragile feelings had much to do with it.

Opening night is a big national game in itself. Falcons-Pats will be a big, prime time game whenever it's played, so why waste it on opening night? To answer the obvious question, I thought it was dumb of the NFL (what's new?) to have the Panthers open last season. With sagging ratings, maybe the geniuses at 345 figured that out...

That's a terrible idea in a sea of them from the NFL. Falcons at Pats for the opener is really the ONLY game that makes sense.

for the NFL and the fans, yes. for atlanta, hell no. i knew that the panthers-broncos home opener last year was going to be a mistake from carolina's perspective. i mean you just lost the super bowl in embarassing fashion and then are forced to travel to denver the very next game and watch your super bowl opponent raise their banner? i'd be pissed if the league made us do that and play the giants in the openers in 2008 and 2012.

Yikes, what horrible matchups. Chiefs I suppose are the best one if the Falcons balls don't drop in time.

for the NFL and the fans, yes. for atlanta, hell no. i knew that the panthers-broncos home opener last year was going to be a mistake from carolina's perspective. i mean you just lost the super bowl in embarassing fashion and then are forced to travel to denver the very next game and watch your super bowl opponent raise their banner? i'd be pissed if the league made us do that and play the giants in the openers in 2008 and 2012.

Gotta disagree. If you have any competitive fire in you, that's what you want. I can GUARANTEE BB TB et al wouldve preferred the Giants over any other opponent following those losses.
Sorry, but the Tom Brady's, Michael Jordans, Larry Joe Birds and Bill Belichicks of the world don't RUN from a challenge- they EMBRACE it.

Gotta disagree. If you have any competitive fire in you, that's what you want. I can GUARANTEE BB TB et al wouldve preferred the Giants over any other opponent following those losses.
Sorry, but the Tom Brady's, Michael Jordans, Larry Joe Birds and Bill Belichicks of the world don't RUN from a challenge- they EMBRACE it.
On that note I'd love a chance for this team to get SB redemption and play Eli in a 3rd SB.

Given Rivera's whining, it's now easier to see how Cam continues to be one of the biggest ****sies in the league.

Contrast that to BB,TB & co., who would lick their chops at playing a team in the opener that had just beat them in the SB.
Damn, are y'all competitors or pushovers?

How's cam newton a ****y?

How's cam newton a *****?
panthers_broncos_newton_fumble.jpg

How's cam newton a *****?

Are you freaking SERIOUS?!?

Obviously, you don't pay much attention to Carolina.

Dude, I live in NC. Even most Panthers fans I know think he is. From the moping on the sidelines to the constant complaining of getting hit, he *****es worse than any other high-profile player I can think of- except maybe Ben. Ironic that the 2 biggest,strongest QBs in the NFL are also the 2 biggest pansies.

You never hear sh*t like that from TB. Steve Smith was the leader of that team - not Cam. Smith is tough as nails. Newton is a marshmallow.

In my opinion that doesn't make him a ****y. He's done a lot of other things that make him tough. I think he's pretty damn physically tough. Maybe he's not the most mentally tough guy. Doesn't always handle losing well

Are you freaking SERIOUS?!?

Obviously, you don't pay much attention to Carolina.

Dude, I live in NC. Even most Panthers fans I know think he is. From the moping on the sidelines to the constant complaining of getting hit, he *****es worse than any other high-profile player I can think of- except maybe Ben. Ironic that the 2 biggest,strongest QBs in the NFL are also the 2 biggest pansies.

You never hear sh*t like that from TB. Steve Smith was the leader of that team - not Cam. Smith is tough as nails. Newton is a marshmallow.
Lol okay Big Ben is a ****y now too. Cam newton played with a broken back. Cam newtons out there getting concussed because the refs do absolutely nothing to protect him like the other quarterbacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes