PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Klecko sheds weight, working with LBs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it Green or banta-Cain that you all think Klecko will beat out as a situational pass-rusher?

AndyJohnson said:
Ive always thought this was his best eventual spot. He did play there some in 2004.

I dont know why being 5'11" makes a difference at OLB more than it would at any other position.
If Klecko has reduce his weight and is in the 270 range, thats is very good OLB size. There is more use for a 270 lb 34 OLB than a 270lb 34 ILB, and thats for sure.
MANY teams plays OLBs in a 34 that almost never cover (about as much as DL do on zone blitzes) why wouldnt Klecko fit that mold.
ITs funny that someone suggests Kleckos problem would be taking on a OT. How could it be more of a problem for him than other OLBs that are 250lbs?

I dont know where he fits on the depth chart and I'm sure BB doesnt either...there is a long way to go.
If he ended up a backup OLB and stuational pass rusher how is that a bad thing? Thats an important role.
The comment saying that he would be useless and taking up a roster space would suggest that the Faulk, Pass, our 3rd TE, whoever ends up as nickelback, whoever ends up as 3rd WR, the backup NT that everyone seems so concerned with, the backup to the 2 ILBs, and any OL that doesnt start, are useless players taking up a roster spot.

If Dan Klecko becomes a 2nd team OLB, who is in the rotation as a nickel/dime pass rusher, and plays special teams, he would be among the top 35 most important players on the team, not the 53rd. That is a VERY important role.

MGTeich:

Woods or Alexander?

I wouldn't be surprised if he clings to a spot for another year.

we're not brits, mike----for us more is still better

Mike the Brit said:
How many posts will this thread reach? It could be three figures ... Now that Bethel's gone, is there anyone more divisive of fan opinion?
beth-el is gone, it's a wonderful feeling. iwas was uncomfortable with beth-el because he hasn't reallized that potential we could all see was locked up inside him. patriots are a teaam where players don't say things like, "i'm waiting for the coaches to tell me.....". every one of the players on the last 5 patriot teams heve been off, full-bore, soon as work begins.
i'm uncomfortable with klecko because coaches say there's a football player in there waiting to do his thing. well, where is the player? been a few years now.
so yeah mike glad to see beth-el go. the klecko thing may reach critical mass this season too.

mgteich said:
Is it Green or banta-Cain that you all think Klecko will beat out as a situational pass-rusher?

I'm not saying he'll beat out anyone, just saying he could stay on the roster that way. Greens a DL and Banta-Cains an OLB. Klecko is neither in my opinion hence the "specialty" role if he sticks.

It's hard thinking of OLB play without automatically recalling how Willie Mcginest played that position the last few years. Klecko at his best could never replace what Mcginest did for this team in terms of blocking passing lanes and disrupting the TE and slot receiver with a well timed shove. He lacks the range of Mcginest and will never be as valuable to the Pats as Willie became. To me Klecko appears to be more suited to a role similer to what Rosevelt Colvin has ocuppied the last two years.

Julius said:
It's hard thinking of OLB play without automatically recalling how Willie Mcginest played that position the last few years. Klecko at his best could never replace what Mcginest did for this team in terms of blocking passing lanes and disrupting the TE and slot receiver with a well timed shove. He lacks the range of Mcginest and will never be as valuable to the Pats as Willie became. To me Klecko appears to be more suited to a role similer to what Rosevelt Colvin has ocuppied the last two years.

That might not be a bad thing to have a situational guy. The question is can Klecko adapt? The guy has been a tweener since the moment he donned the Pats uni. Hopefully he'll get good at doing at least one thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes