PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Red Sox Starters & Closers

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I don't focus overly on the Sox during football season but it's tough not to notice that the've got three guys starting, all of whom are 26 years old or so, who are capable of winning the Cy Young.

However, with Paplebon in the starting rotation they need to find a closer to trade for (seems doubtful) or convert a starter from their own, or another team.

Seems to me it makes the most sense to go back to Paplebon in that role - anyone else feel this way?

I don't focus overly on the Sox during football season but it's tough not to notice that the've got three guys starting, all of whom are 26 years old or so, who are capable of winning the Cy Young.

However, with Paplebon in the starting rotation they need to find a closer to trade for (seems doubtful) or convert a starter from their own, or another team.

Seems to me it makes the most sense to go back to Paplebon in that role - anyone else feel this way?

I'd like Papelbon to close for one more season and try again searching for a closer in 2008. But the team doctors have already advised that Papelbon become a starter and get accustomed to a 5-day preparation period.

So the rotation right now looks like this:

1. Curt Schilling
2. Tim Wakefield
3. Josh Beckett
4. Daisuke Matsuzaka
5. Jonathan Papelbon

As for the closer, right now it'd probably be Timlin. But hopefully they get someone better. I'm glad they didn't try to sign a scrub like Danys Baez.

are either Hansen or Declarmen capable of closing? i would assume they have learned from 2003 and will pick up a closer along the way.

From my understanding, the injury that ended his year was either a result from throwing out of the pen, or would more likely happen again if he continued to be a closer. With the rotation that they put together, they are sure to find a closer. That is one potentially dominant rotation and can't see them not going with a sure thing to shut the door. Then again, we are talking Sox.

Hansen was projected to be a closer. I don't know if the Sox wanna go to war with him in so crucial a role though.

Unless you have a top closer you just throw relievers against the wall to see who sticks. The Sox appear to be compiling arms with the thinking that you keep the ones who work and cut the ones who don't.

Did the Tigers really expect Todd freaking Jones to be a legitimate closer last year?

I expect the sox bullpen to be in flux to begin next year. Hopefully one or two guys step up. If no one assumes the role then an in-season trade can be made.

As for Paplebon, I want to see him pitching 180 innings, not 80. And depending on whether or not you believe the stories he isn't an option to close because of his injury from the end of last year.

I'm hoping Jon Lester bumps Wakefield from the rotation. Love Wakefield, but our weakest link in the pen last year was long relief when the starters come out and are horrible.

Cement Head Clement .... luckily Hansen and DelCarmen need work ... so Clement will be able to stay on the roster until someone is desperate...I really hope we don't give him away and pay 1/2 his salary.

I do not think they are done with the roster yet, Hansen and DelCarmen are choices.. but think they will find someone with a bit more experience, but than again who would've figured Papelbon would do what he did.

Clement is out for the season. his shoulder was really messed up and he won't be back. Theo was on D & H (i think) and said that the docs said that paps needs to be a starter or will blow out the shoulder...he needs that rest period rather than going so frequently---so he's out. Hansen makes the most sense, but doesn't appear to be ready for that yet,,so who knows!:confused:

Joel Pineiro....

Certainly weirder things in baseball have happened so it wouldn't be too preposterous if he manages to get the job done. I wouldn't bet on it though. His peripherals out of the pen last year were decent.... he had a high 4.81ERA but his 1.19WHIP, .213BAA, 7.40k/9 and .290OBA are pretty good. Hes obviously not the best choice to have at closer, but unfortunatley this was a terrible free agent market for relievers and any trade for a real one would cost half the farm system.

Hey guys, I'm a Mariners fan and let me tell you I feel real sorry that you guys now have to deal with Joel Pinata...the mn gets hit like its his job. He has his moments, but is nothing but a waste of money.

Good Luck and I hope you guys win the AL East.

Hey guys, I'm a Mariners fan and let me tell you I feel real sorry that you guys now have to deal with Joel Pinata...the mn gets hit like its his job. He has his moments, but is nothing but a waste of money.

Good Luck and I hope you guys win the AL East.
hopefully for redsox fans having him come out of the pen will make a differece in his performance .

hopefully for redsox fans having him come out of the pen will make a differece in his performance .

He was definitley slightly better out of the pen compared to starting. Hope he turns it around for you guys.

hopefully hanson or delcarmen can step up and become the closer so we don't need him to. I see him as an expensive stop-gap/prayer

reports are the Mariners wanted him to become a reliever but early success as a starter and Pineiro wanted to start. Hope this is the guy if not look for a early season trade of too much for someone - possible Rangers trade if Gagne works out

I don't think that want to trade for anyone, even someone like a 35 year old Akinori Otsuka. If the price on guys like Chad Cordero are Michael Bowden or Clay Buchholz and Craig Hansen, then they are wise to not trade for a proven closer and try to roll the dice with guys like Pineiro, or hope that Donnelly or Timlin is up to the task or Hansen/Delcarmen/Cox is ready sometime midseason.

I don't think that want to trade for anyone, even someone like a 35 year old Akinori Otsuka. If the price on guys like Chad Cordero are Michael Bowden or Clay Buchholz and Craig Hansen, then they are wise to not trade for a proven closer and try to roll the dice with guys like Pineiro, or hope that Donnelly or Timlin is up to the task or Hansen/Delcarmen/Cox is ready sometime midseason.
look for New Bedfords on Taveras to close this season early

If he takes the closers role as seriously as he did the starting role than Tavarez may not be a bad idea considering hes unflappable and has the mentality for it. I'm sure they'll put his name in the hat if/when Pinerio blows it.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back