Rapoport: Gronk played thru achilles, disk issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
According to Rapoport Gronk played through tendonitis of the achilles as well as a “bulging disk”.

Apparently the issues are better. Still, while tendonitis is a transient, relatively harmless thing, I’d have to think the bulging disk - even if it somehow has simmered down - is cause for concern.

Meanwhile, Giardi reports that NE believes Gronk’s injuries are related to him doing the TB12 method.

Not sure how you get a bulging disk doing resistance band training. Unless they’re arguing that by not doing weight lifting like he used to it’s weakened his body so that his back isn’t strong enough to survive the rigors of football.

Personally I’ve had a bulging disk from dead lifting because I was an idiot trying to lift too much.

Give me a break with that Giardi crap. Gronk has been getting positively murdered on the field, in plain sight, for a decade. Big hits & hard falls.

For those curious about herniated disc vs. bulging disc.

upload_2019-2-3_13-5-32.png

As a physician, this explains a great deal. Now I understand why Gronk looked so hobbeld this year. If it is true that he is NOW 100% recovered..this is huge NEWS. Achilles tendonitis is extremely painful and defintely limits how fast you can run and how quickly and precisely you can turn. Obviously a bulging disk putting pressure on nerve roots to the legs negatively impacts ability to run, jump and turn.

If Gronk is 100% today with truly no achilles tendon pain or back pain, we may see the Gronk of yesteryear and I think the possibility of 8-10 catches and over 100 yards with red zone miracle catches likely.

Let's hope its true

Last edited:
last superbowl, Rob had 100+ yard with td and we still lost.

I gotta say I don't remember either of those things being on the injury reports all year...

According to Rapoport Gronk played through tendonitis of the achilles as well as a “bulging disk”.

Apparently the issues are better. Still, while tendonitis is a transient, relatively harmless thing, I’d have to think the bulging disk - even if it somehow has simmered down - is cause for concern.

Meanwhile, Giardi reports that NE believes Gronk’s injuries are related to him doing the TB12 method.

Not an expert but, I have a bulging disc in my neck. Had it since the late 90's. It can flare up, then subsides. Hasn't bothered me in years, goes away with "muscle relaxers" when caught early [which are misnamed according to MD.

Not an expert but, I have a bulging disc in my neck. Had it since the late 90's. It can flare up, then subsides. Hasn't bothered me in years, goes away with "muscle relaxers" when caught early [which are misnamed according to MD.
Achilles tendonitis is inflammation and pain of the tendon which connect syour ankle to tour knee. It can dramtically negatively impact running and turning, when the inflammation is moderate or severe.
Regarding a bulging cervical disc, it is different from a lumbosacral bulging disc and each case is unique. For a 6'6 265 pound man who makes his living with violent colisions with big men, a bulging disc in the lumboscaral region is almost certainly going to limit performance.

I gotta say I don't remember either of those things being on the injury reports all year...

Injury reports are for missed practice time, I believe. He was on the report multiple for ankle which could encompass achilles tendonitis, I suppose. He's had a known back condition since college.

Achilles tendonitis is inflammation and pain of the tendon which connect syour ankle to tour knee. It can dramtically negatively impact running and turning, when the inflammation is moderate or severe.
Regarding a bulging cervical disc, it is different from a lumbosacral bulging disc and each case is unique. For a 6'6 265 pound man who makes his living with violent colisions with big men, a bulging disc in the lumboscaral region is almost certainly going to limit performance.

Granted. My only contribution is that it comes and goes, if it's similar. He could have been nursing flareups there for years, if it's like mine, which is actually called "protruding.

Again, you're the doc.

I’m suffering with Achilles tendinitis as I menthoned in another thread.

I can’t run at all but can still lift using an ankle brace. I’ve also suffered through herniated disk and require a disk fusion at some point so I feel for gronk.

I can still lift heavy but can’t run. Maybe because I’m 49 as well. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore