PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ranking the 50 Super Bowl champions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm obviously biased towards the more recent teams because I've only been following the NFL since Super Bowl 28.

1.) It must be tough "er" impossible to compare teams of different eras.

2.) I'll go under the assumption that the teams prior to SB 28 are seeded exactly where they should be (after all, I wasn't following so I don't have an opinion).

With those two things being said, I actually don't really have much of a problem with this list. These are ALL Super Bowl champions. It's like ranking 50 supermodels by their looks. They can all be gorgeous, but someone still has to be 50. Not only that, oustide of possibly the top and bottom few, the differences between them are so minute. #15 could probably just as easily be #35 on someone else' list.

Fair enough. I'd say he's well known. He's also a known Patriot hater (hence the spygate and deflategate comments) who writes a lot of uninformed opinions about football. Used to write for USA Today "For the Win".
I mean: Though hardly the '07 edition, these Patriots (2011) were better than three of the teams that won rings and possibly all four.

Laughably wrong.
This guy gets paid to write that crap...

It seems like an impossible thing to try and rank. So many variables its dumb to even try.

Mark. Rypien.

I like Ricky Sanders (former Pat), but that team does not even crack my top 50.

He was outstanding that year though. I don't care about names on paper just production and results and that team was as complete as any in the history of the NFL. Led the league in scoring(GOAT Level Offensive line) gave up the second fewest points on defense and has an elite special teams. Dominated the postseason etc

At least this list had the facts right. There was one on Sportingnews.com that listed the 2003 team as an 11-5 team. Say what??????

And if you read Tim Layden's SI article on the Super Bowl, he listed last week's game as Brady's 10th AFC Championship game. Nope it was #11...2001,2003,2004, 2006, 2007 an dth elast six years.......

Been watching since the 1975 game between Pitt and Dallas and I have no idea what his logic is with this list. If best team means most dominate from beginning of season until the end then I'd have to go with the 85 Bears who were rarely challenged. The 2004 Patriots should be much higher as they were part of a 21 game winning streak and spanked a 16-1 Steelers team in their home to take the AFC crown and beat a very good Eagles team in Super Bowl (which was not as close as final score indicates)

Impossible list but I feel pretty good about a Top 5 (in no particular order)

2004 Patriots
1973 Dolphins
1966 Packers
1978 Steelers
1989 49ers

Honorable mentions: 1992 Cowboys. 1999 Broncos,

IMO those were the best teams of each team's "Dynasty Years" . Even a-hole Shula said the 73 team was more talented than the 17-0 bunch from 72.

Not meant to discount the one year wonders like the 1991 Skins and 85 Bears

Last edited:
Impossible list but I feel pretty good about a Top 5 (in no particular order)

2004 Patriots
1973 Dolphins
1966 Packers
1978 Steelers
1989 49ers

Honorable mentions: 1992 Cowboys. 1999 Broncos,

IMO those were the best teams of each team's "Dynasty Years" . Even a-hole Shula said the 73 team was more talented than the 17-0 bunch from 72.

Not meant to discount the one year wonders like the 1991 Skins and 85 Bears
1999 Broncos disqualified due to cheating - surprised you missed that

I'm obviously biased towards the more recent teams because I've only been following the NFL since Super Bowl 28.

1.) It must be tough "er" impossible to compare teams of different eras.

2.) I'll go under the assumption that the teams prior to SB 28 are seeded exactly where they should be (after all, I wasn't following so I don't have an opinion).

With those two things being said, I actually don't really have much of a problem with this list. These are ALL Super Bowl champions. It's like ranking 50 supermodels by their looks. They can all be gorgeous, but someone still has to be 50. Not only that, oustide of possibly the top and bottom few, the differences between them are so minute. #15 could probably just as easily be #35 on someone else' list.
1. 1976 New England Patriots

He does make that comment in the article when discussing the 2007 Giant's (as one of the worst teams to win it ever).
That team really had no business winning a SB. And I'd be saying that even if it were not the Pats and they didn't spoil 19-0. They really weren't the best team in the NFC much less NFL. But whatever. They won.

(...We had HIM?!...)

They had a good corps of young WRs and old man Stanley Morgan but Steinberg completely muffed that one. There is no way to justify it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents