PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Quarterback watch 2017: Top projected QBs coming out of the 2017 NFL draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Considering the possibility that Jimmy G. might be traded this offseason, would the Patriots want to draft a QB to someday replace Tom Brady?

Let's say Jimmy gets traded to his hometown team, and the Bears finish with the 2nd or 3rd overall pick (behind the Browns). Is there a college prospect you would consider a franchise-changing quarterback for the Patriots?

Found this article (last updated Oct. 26, 2016) Anyone stand out?

Trubisky will likely end up as the top QB but, as luck would have it, there's no top QB this year although the need will artifically push them up.

Good article here from a writer I like :

(the link doesn't work, just toss an http:// in front of this :
bleacherreport.com/articles/2669334-as-2017-potential-qb-class-struggles-jimmy-garappolo-gains-even-more-value

Sorry, no idea why it won't link correctly.

The bottom line from the article :

Unfortunately, this is the wrong year for any team to have a major need at the game's most important position.

Last edited:
Trubisky will likely end up as the top QB but, as luck would have it, there's no top QB this year although the need will artifically push them up.

bleacherreport.com/articles/2669334-as-2017-potential-qb-class-struggles-jimmy-garappolo-gains-even-more-value

Unfortunately, this is the wrong year for any team to have a major need at the game's most important position.

Link seems to be working for me. Just have to copy and paste the URL. Thanks for the insight!

Do you feel like the quarterback class in 2017 would be sufficient to meet the Patriots long-term needs?

I'm assuming we would want to use a 1st round draft pick on a potential franchise QB, right? Or would Belichick draft another position?

Is Browning not eligible this year?

Is Davis Webb from Cal eligible? The guy can pass.

May be premature but I don't think Brissett is more than a backup/stopgap for the Patriots during this transition to Brady from the next guy if he's not named Jimmy.

That could be a good thing. It could increase JG's trade value.

Is Davis Webb from Cal eligible? The guy can pass.

May be premature but I don't think Brissett is more than a backup/stopgap for the Patriots during this transition to Brady from the next guy if he's not named Jimmy.

Webb is eligible, but he's also a Jim Sorgi-like stick.

Link seems to be working for me. Just have to copy and paste the URL. Thanks for the insight!

Do you feel like the quarterback class in 2017 would be sufficient to meet the Patriots long-term needs?

I'm assuming we would want to use a 1st round draft pick on a potential franchise QB, right? Or would Belichick draft another position?

That's a tough question. Use it to accumulate picks and fortify the O line/D line? Or get a potential franchise QB?

That's a tough question. Use it to accumulate picks and fortify the O line/D line? Or get a potential franchise QB?

Count me in for the former. We could use an upgrade in talent on either side of the line and I think Brady will be here for another few years.

I love that it's a weak draft for QBs, it increases Grop's trade value to a desperate team. Get a top 5 pick and get one of the incredible RBs coming out and let Brady play the next 4 years with an All Pro AP caliber guy behind him. Beef up the center of the line with the pats first or second rounder and now how do you stop the offense? Plus Brady not having to put the ball up 40 times a game will extend his career. So to answer the OP question, hell no do I draft a QB I ride out Brady cuz right now he just looks better and better with ZERO signs of aging.

IMHO, Brett Rypien (nephew of the famous Redskins QB) of Boise State is one of the best pro prospects at that position, but he will not be able to enter the draft until after next year.

I agree 2017 doesn't appear on the surface to be a good year for QBs. Assuming we draft one in 2018 he will not be ready till 2019 and Brady will be 42 by then. Just stuff to keep in mind.

All in with Brisket

I agree 2017 doesn't appear on the surface to be a good year for QBs. Assuming we draft one in 2018 he will not be ready till 2019 and Brady will be 42 by then. Just stuff to keep in mind.

I mean, is it even worth it at that point? If you're gonna hold onto Brady for several more years, then you go all in to maximize the remainder of his playing career, either by improving the offensive line, or drafting a top tier RB.

Pats should either take a win-now approach and go all in, or take the long view and start gathering assets for a rebuild. Settling for what's in between would just be a waste of resources and Brady's potential

This draft is the absolute worst for qb's. Even worse than the Mariotta and Winston draft.

The top three picks should be dt's.

In my mind New England is sitting a gold mine with jimmy g.

You have to think Cleveland will make a huge run at mcdaniels this offseason and they have the extra draft picks to trade for jimmy g.

I love that it's a weak draft for QBs, it increases Grop's trade value to a desperate team. Get a top 5 pick and get one of the incredible RBs coming out and let Brady play the next 4 years with an All Pro AP caliber guy behind him. Beef up the center of the line with the pats first or second rounder and now how do you stop the offense? Plus Brady not having to put the ball up 40 times a game will extend his career. So to answer the OP question, hell no do I draft a QB I ride out Brady cuz right now he just looks better and better with ZERO signs of aging.
In that scenario, we trade Brisket in a few years for more picks. Oh Roger, where will you be?

What about Chad Kelly?

If JG fetches multiple first round picks as has been speculated, one would likely be in 2018. Regarding whether BB would take a franchise QB with that 2018 pick is whether JG would be good enough in year one to elevate a team's record to the point of that pick being in the teens or 20's as opposed to a top 10.

What about Chad Kelly?
Huge off field red flags. Physically he would be a high pick but he's high risk off the field.

As for those asking about drafting a QB high, they drafted Brissett for a reason and I highly doubt anything has changed. They would almost certainly go another year before considering another QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST