PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Quality of football

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Not just the Patriots but around the league. Anyone think we'll see some really sloppy games in the first month from no preseason and the way camp started?

Still not convinced the season will go the full 16 games either.

September usually isn't the highest quality football anyway. Will it be worse? Probably not by much. Will it last longer into the season? Most likely.

Not ideal but if there is any positional group on the roster that can withstand someone missing a few weeks it is the RBs.

The more interesting thing for me is if the team will put him on IR to save a spot. That would mean him sitting out at least 3 weeks under the new rules this year (with unlimited returns).

Not just the Patriots but around the league. Anyone think we'll see some really sloppy games in the first month from no preseason and the way camp started?

I think you will see more ST blunders than usual. Also conditioning will be a big question given how short the workout phase this offseason was.

yeah, always learning curves in the begining of the season... and yes it will be worse this year due to a lack of otas, mini camps, rookie camps, preseason, a lack of scouting players in game-like situations and even less contact drills in camp... nothing new about that

as for the 16 games... you can bet your sweet bippies that the NFL will roll out every single game on this seasons schedule one way or another, even if it means extending the schedule or moving games into bye weeks, etc ... with capacity cut at stadiums, the tv ratings should go thru the roof... and for the owners, that means more lucrative tv contracts in the future... thats where the real money comes from, and thats what they will do their utmost in order to protect those multi-billion dollar revenue streams...

Last edited:

Absolutely. September is going to be ugly. IMHO it is a problem getting worse and worse every year under normal conditions, but now? Ugh. I remember watching last year's opening night game between Chicago and GB. You literally had 2 starting QB's who hadn't thrown a single pass in a preseason game, and the product on the field reflected it.

I see opportunity. The most prepared & conditioned players/teams have a chance to really shine over less prepped and talented teams.

I think with the shorten preseason the teams with the best coaching staffs are going to get off to the best starts.

I saw something the other day where in the middle of practice Belichick announced that they gave up a saftey and needed to kickoff team to immeadiatly line up on the 20 yard line. This type of keep everyone's heads in the game practices will pay dividends especially this season.

This is the type of things a Jets coach wouldn't even think of, its like when he has them practice the extra long halftime before the Superbowl. I think the rookie HC especially the ones from college, teams will struggle this year.

It's football, quality will be what it is. Just happy to have it.

Not for nothing, but the high school games they have been showing on ESPN have been pretty good. Deon's kid plays a mean QB!

Over/under the season goes 4 weeks if multiple players are testing positive?

But to answer the question, yes, there will be a lot of sloppy games.

One thing though....there's a dearth of quality cornerbacks in the league. We are one of the handful teams with a rock solid secondary...I believe that will pay dividends early in the season when we shut down opposing passing offenses thereby forcing teams to run the ball...to keep it low scoring while eating the clock. On top of it, we still have the best ST units in the league...except at kicker...that should be enough to flip field position 1-2 times a game and give Cam & Co. short fields to grind out our power rushing offense, IMO.

I see opportunity. The most prepared & conditioned players/teams have a chance to really shine over less prepped and talented teams.
This is why all the doom and gloom whiners expecting the Pats to have a losing season because Brady feel off the cliff and landed in Tampa Bay will be proven wrong.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Back