PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PS QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lynch is probably an upgrade over Etling but, so what. The answer to QB depth for the Pats is the 2019 draft, not the PS. I look for BB to add the future TB backup (Clayton Thorson?) within the first 2 rounds.

Lynch is probably an upgrade over Etling but, so what. The answer to QB depth for the Pats is the 2019 draft, not the PS. I look for BB to add the future TB backup (Clayton Thorson?) within the first 2 rounds.

BB is known not to Draft Prospects we originally like.:confused: BB Drafts are like watching the Jets boring and painful talk about what could have been.:rolleyes:

Etling has mobility which is more important for a PS QB, especially when they both don't really have much real potential.

Etling has mobility which is more important for a PS QB, especially when they both don't really have much real potential.

Lynch is at least as mobile QB as Etling and is twice his size. The big problem with Lynch is he has a ton of physical tools and was never able to demonstrate the ability to line up under center and read defenses in the NFL, which was always the danger for those shotgun only spread QBs. Those types of issues don't correct themselves, they're chronic deficiencies.

Lynch is at least as mobile QB as Etling and is twice his size. The big problem with Lynch is he has a ton of physical tools and was never able to demonstrate the ability to line up under center and read defenses in the NFL, which was always the danger for those shotgun only spread QBs. Those types of issues don't correct themselves, they're chronic deficiencies.

I thought Lynch was supposed to be a statue in the pocket like Osweiler. If that's not the case I stand corrected. Still, out of Etling and Lynch, only one has an 86 yard TD run (in the preseason)...

Hands off Danny Etling! He is Cat like quick!

I could see that Etling run being set up for a long time before it happened. I mean, not the 86 yards for a score part, just him running.

Pretty basic RPO really. Etling had run that play a few times out of that formation, always checking the reaction of the right side of the defense before letting the RB take the handoff. And every time, he'd sprint to the right empty-handed.

I pointed it out to the wife and said, "One of these times, Etling's gonna keep it and get a big gain out of it."

So, eventually, the scrubs on the Gints defense just began to assume that it was a fake. And then, Bingo. Seems unlikely to happen against a starting defense in a real game, but ... it does. And the Pats have been victimized just like everyone else.

I thought Lynch was supposed to be a statue in the pocket like Osweiler. If that's not the case I stand corrected. Still, out of Etling and Lynch, only one has an 86 yard TD run (in the preseason)...

Lynch is a 6'7" giant but he ran a 4.8 40 at the combine coming off a knee injury. He's much closer in terms of athleticism to a Carson Wentz or Blake Bortles than a Brock Osweiler. He was used in a lot of designed runs at Memphis.

Lynch was one of those coin flips where if he had it he could have been really good and if he didn't it would be real obvious and he wouldn't even be usable as a backup. The latter is the case.

Lynch is a 6'7" giant but he ran a 4.8 40 at the combine coming off a knee injury. He's much closer in terms of athleticism to a Carson Wentz or Blake Bortles than a Brock Osweiler. He was used in a lot of designed runs at Memphis.

Lynch was one of those coin flips where if he had it he could have been really good and if he didn't it would be real obvious and he wouldn't even be usable as a backup. The latter is the case.
I'm on record for wanting to kick the tires

I'm on record for wanting to kick the tires
Although you may want to inflate the tires before kicking them. (Please don't get me started on fake PSI.)

-PAXP-deijE.gif
-PAXP-deijE.gif
46446043_10211839126205851_286269650566643712_n.jpg

Last edited:
We seem to be discussing who is the best option for PS scout QB, a worthy discussion.

I'd be much more interested in someone who could be a potential backup on the 53.

We seem to be discussing who is the best option for PS scout QB, a worthy discussion.

I'd be much more interested in someone who could be a potential backup on the 53.

We don't actually know that Etling isn't. It's been three intense (for him) months since we've seen him. There's at least a possibility that he's developed to the level of play that we saw from Hoyer in the pre-season, or close to it (not a particularly high bar, IIRC).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes