PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Price of Cooks' 5-year option released

Status
Not open for further replies.
slam dunk pick up

BB always staying ahead of nfl* curve.

We paid Gilmore 60 percent more then that unless he regresses terribly he will be a Patriot a long time.

Would be nice to see if he has a grasp of the playbook

Somebody will probably use this as proof Butler got screwed.

Would be nice to see if he has a grasp of the playbook

He will. When he has it fully down, he'll be a major weapon. Watching he and Hogan both taking the top off the defense while Edelman and Gronk wreak havoc underneath will be extremely satisfying. You keep Butler on the other side of the ball and I don't see another team out there that can legitimately challenge the Patriots, if healthy.

Cant this get cut prior to next season anyway with little to no cap hit? No brainer to pick it up.

You wonder when other team's will realize that the joint practices during training camp and before the practice games are actually advanced scouting activities for the Pats. Just like they scout college players who they have no chance or intention of drafting, in case they are available as cuts or after their first contract.

I was never happy that we traded our first round pick for Cooks, or rather our #1 pick for ANY WR. However that being said the thought of making that decision and then NOT being able to keep him on the team for at least 2 years would be ludicrous. The Pats simply HAVE to pick up that 5th yeaer option.

BTW-I hope the "game day boys" have some patience with Cooks. (and I hope Cooks has some patience with this offense) If all goes to plan I don't see him putting up the same numbers as he did in NO. There are just too many other targets available for Brady and only one ball. Brandin could have a great season of us, but not get 1000 yds and some might call it a failure. That would be a mistake.

Clearly we're picking it up. I'm hoping that we'll use these two relatively cheap years (this year and next is around 2 / $10M) to rip it up and replace it with 4 or 5 years. We could do something like 4/$40M which would basically give him 2 new years at $15M per. That would be nice for both sides, Cooks would get a top of the market type 2 year extension and be a FA again at age 27, we'd get a stud for 4 years.

Cant this get cut prior to next season anyway with little to no cap hit? No brainer to pick it up.

It becomes fully guaranteed at the start of the 2018 league year. As soon as it's exercised, though, it's guaranteed for injury.

I was never happy that we traded our first round pick for Cooks, or rather our #1 pick for ANY WR. However that being said the thought of making that decision and then NOT being able to keep him on the team for at least 2 years would be ludicrous. The Pats simply HAVE to pick up that 5th yeaer option.

BTW-I hope the "game day boys" have some patience with Cooks. (and I hope Cooks has some patience with this offense) If all goes to plan I don't see him putting up the same numbers as he did in NO. There are just too many other targets available for Brady and only one ball. Brandin could have a great season of us, but not get 1000 yds and some might call it a failure. That would be a mistake.

I think his stats could go either way between a very effective 55 catch/900 yard role player or a feature WR putting up 1300 yards.

Re: Cooks and Hogan as deep threats: it all comes down to whether or not the OL can keep Brady standing.

With enough pocket time go through his (super fast) reads, TB's going to have great options on just about every play. Pass short, pass deep, run.... this offense sure seems loaded.

I think his stats could go either way between a very effective 55 catch/900 yard role player or a feature WR putting up 1300 yards.
I agree the 55 catch is more likely. 95 for Edelman, 70+ for Gronk, 55 for Cooks, 50 for White, 40 for Hogan, 35+ for Mitchell, 50+ for all the rest. I can see that kind of season, depending on health.

Given the receiving possibilities at the WR, TE, and RB positions, I find it difficult to believe ANYONE is going to be a "feature" receiver on this team. And given the factors that drove him out of NO, I worry about that here.

Think abou it. While b!tching all year about wanting the ball more, Cooks put up over 1100 yds in receiving. How is he going to react when he's putting up even less on a winning team. That's the question we are all waiting on

No question that having him on the team makes our offense more difficult to defend and his presence will open up the field for other receivers to thrive. HOWEVER the question the Pats would love to have the answer to before they pick up the option they know they HAVE to pick up, is will he be happy making fewer catches and fewer yards yet constantly play for superbowls.

Personally I think he will end up being a very effective 2 year blip on our radar. A receiver who made everyone else around him better even though he didn't put up huge numbers himself. He will leave here to get a big money deal elsewhere, and the Pats will be left trying to fill the hole not having that first round pick left.

The bottom line for me is that, yes, he made the offense better, but just not first round pick better. JMHO

Hopefully we find a way to extend him 4-5yrs

Think abou it. While b!tching all year about wanting the ball more, Cooks put up over 1100 yds in receiving. How is he going to react when he's putting up even less on a winning team

Saints in Cooks 3 years
7-9
7-9
7-9

Patriots in those 3 years
Won SB
AFC Championship
Won SB

I agree the 55 catch is more likely. 95 for Edelman, 70+ for Gronk, 55 for Cooks, 50 for White, 40 for Hogan, 35+ for Mitchell, 50+ for all the rest. I can see that kind of season, depending on health.

I doubt Edelman gets 95. He got 98 last year, because Gronk got hurt. He also had only a 61.6% catch rate vs 68-69 for 2013-2015. And he only had 11.3y/rec. He will also be 31 years old.

For comparison Cooks had 15.0y/rec and a 66.7% catch rate.

I would think one of the reason for acquiring Cooks is to have less throws go to Edelman. And if Cooks picks up the offense it would be stupid to use Edelman over him based on Cooks being more successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes