Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicilian

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
So, I'm bored, and got to thinking about specific things that the Pats might be working on during the bye week. I know, I know, there's probably a thousand things, big and small, but like I said, I'm bored :D

Here are my thoughts, and I'm sure people with more tactical knowledge about football than myself can provide some input:

1) Change in O-Line's pass block philosophy. Tom Brady is one of the best I've ever seen at sensing the pass rush and stepping up into the pocket. For that reason, the O-Line essentially had a little less of an area to protect. If they could keep the rushers from attacking the middle, keeping them to outside, they new Brady would feel the rush, step up, and make a play. With Cassel, they need to change their mindset a bit to a more traditional pocket.

2) Creativity in Moss' routes. It's all well and good that Moss is double covered, but we have GOT to find ways to get him the ball more often. I'll use Terrell Owens as an example. I know TO has Romo throwing to him, but they double him all the time, yet Dallas finds ways to put the ball in his hands. I'm not sure what the technical solution to this is, but it will be a talking point this week I'm sure.

3) Back to basics on defense. Discipline and tackling. They'll use this extra week as a mini-camp to get everyone on defense playing sound fundamentally. I think we'll see a solid, yet fairly vanilla defense in San Francisco, get our feet under us again, then unleash some of the more complicated stuff against San Diego. It's not that I think San Fran is a pushover, there are NO MORE pushovers this season. But I think, regardless of opponent, we need to get back to sound, fundamental football before we can expect to improve.

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore