PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-Game Thread: Patriots v. Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am probably wrong here but I thought the last pre-season game (Raiders) was when the starters did not play and it was mainly PS players or those that were being showcased prior to being cut. I may have this the wrong way around.

For what it's worth, Matt Dolloff (98.5, The Sports Hub) refers to "the dress rehearsal next weekend".

Bedard I agree, he's gone full "cynical smugness" on us. Curran has moments like that, but he feels more schizophrenic to me. One day he'll over the top pessimist, then in the next breath he'll be super positive. It's kind of exhausting, but I don't get a malicious vibe from him. More just that his mouth has lost all filter and he voices every thought he has while trying to work out what his argument actually is.
It's just another variant of the house troll strategy: sh*t on the team and if they are bad you're a genius but all will be forgotten and forgiven in the general euphoria if the team does well.

It’s always funny to hear bad teams not playing their starters. This will be Matt Rhule’s last year.
You typically play them the 2nd game, but lately a lot of teams play the starters the 3rd game since now they have a week off before the regular season.

I wonder if the fights had anything to do with this decision. Maybe he's scared of retaliation for Wilkerson resulting in one of his starters going down.
As mentioned the play itself was not dirty so no retaliation is required. It was the aftermath that started/continued the brawls.

And if any kind of retaliation was to happen I think Carolina would have a beef from last year when Mac twisted Burns' ankle. All is well between the two players but some ahole could still target Mac if there's an opportunity. We all saw what happened to Jalen Hurts. Some players just want to leave their mark.

You typically play them the 2nd game, but lately a lot of teams play the starters the 3rd game since now they have a week off before the regular season.
That seems so bizarre to me. So you only give your starters a few quarters in one single preseason game before sending them into action for the regular season? After they've already cut the amount of practices you can have during TC down as it is?

That seems so bizarre to me. So you only give your starters a few quarters in one single preseason game before sending them into action for the regular season? After they've already cut the amount of practices you can have during TC down as it is?
I think they want to avoid injuries more than anything

Do people actually bet on preseason NFL games???
I have in the past so yeah they do. It takes some homework. My most recent bet was Seattle, a couple of years ago (pre-covid), for about $200. They covered easily. I was a degenerate I guess. Now I just window shop the pre-season.

I have in the past so yeah they do. It takes some homework. My most recent bet was Seattle, a couple of years ago (pre-covid), for about $200. They covered easily. I was a degenerate I guess. Now I just window shop the pre-season.

I used to think it was weird myself, then I thought, "Even if you're picking blind, the odds are still about the same as winning a hand of blackjack." (slightly under 50/50).

If Pats 1st string plays against Panthers 2nd string, what can we take away from this game?
What does it matter? No matter the outcome you will complain.

If the Pats do well you well state that they are playing backups.
If that Pats dont do well you will state that they cant play better than backups.

So basically its fodder for your incessant whining.

If Pats 1st string plays against Panthers 2nd string, what can we take away from this game?
I mean we will maybe be watching the "McVay system" here for the first time with Mac

Good execution would be nice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back