PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pfw Whispers..bruschi And More...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Thomas has played in a 3-4 system before. They ran it for a year in Baltimore. They also ran the "46" there. What you seem to be missing is that Thomas has supposedly lined up at every defensive position at one time or another during his career in Baltimore. In other words, he's smart and athletic and can grasp new positions pretty quickly.

I know he's played in a 3-4 before. What I meant by system is BB's way of doing things. I'm also assuming that our 3-4 must have some kinks that differentiate from what he's used to seeing in Baltimore.

I know he's played in a 3-4 before. What I meant by system is BB's way of doing things. I'm also assuming that our 3-4 must have some kinks that differentiate from what he's used to seeing in Baltimore.

our 3-4 employs more of a cover 2 rather than an all out blitz?

I'm not sure. But most 3-4's are very different. they play the same style but the plays and the coaching is much different.

our 3-4 employs more of a cover 2 rather than an all out blitz?

I'm not sure. But most 3-4's are very different. they play the same style but the plays and the coaching is much different.

Yeah, like Pittsburgh's 3-4 was completely different from ours. I haven't seen enough of the Ravens to tell a difference, but I know that their DC, Rex Ryan, has no connections to BB other than being Rob's brother.

I'm not breaking the bank for a 30 year old who's never played in this system before.
However, the 49ers may break the bank for a defensive player that Mike Nolan has coached before.

However, the 49ers may break the bank for a defensive player that Mike Nolan has coached before.
My guess is SF won't want to do that as they already signed Julian Peterson to a monster deal last year. That much money in two LB, on a team that needs help in many places, is probably not the way to go.

My guess is SF won't want to do that as they already signed Julian Peterson to a monster deal last year. That much money in two LB, on a team that needs help in many places, is probably not the way to go.

Manny Lawson isn't making chump change either. We should keep in mind that Mike Singletary is the LB coach there. We'll see just how much influence he has if they manage to steal Thomas.

Seattle signed Peterson, not SF. :)

The only obstacle I envision with Adalius Thomas is that Mike Nolan and the 49ers have far more cap room than the New England Patriots.

The only obstacle for Mike Nolan re: Adalius Thomas is that the Pats are so much closer to being in the Super Bowl than the Niners.

(No disrespect towards the Niners - I like 'em!)

Donnie Edwards? If he comes, it will be so he's first in line for the blue plate special at Brighams.

The guy will be 34 years old. Is he an upgrade over Bruchi? I say no way.

In all seriousness... whispers about Thomas aside, the linebacker you will see come to New England is the Chargers' Donnie Edwards.

PFnV

I don't so much of a given. They don't have a lot of cap space to franchise anyone. They are going to lose a couple of starters and Jonathan Ogden is talking about retiring, Derrick Mason is upset with his role and looking to get out, and they still need to upgrade their offense before this.

I think the Ravens want to keep Thomas and are willing to pay him if they can find room. Otherwise, they will probably be forced to let him test the open market.

Teams usually find ways to get under the cap and the Ravens have plenty of time to do so.

If Ogden retires and/or Mason (should have picked NE) becomes a cap casualty, there's your cap room to tag Thomas, who was arguably Baltimore's best defensive player.

Actually, Jarrett Johnson is a versatile, smart, hard-nosed football player. He can play ILB/OLB/DE. Some people have said he'd be this year's Mike Vrabel. I think he'd be a great pick-up.

Of the draft picks you've mentioned, I believe only Adams has actually played LB in college. Clemson used him very similar to how the Pats used McGinest.

Jarrett Johnson is an intriguing player who's a UFA. Thanks for mentioning it. He would be a great young pickup for the Pats. Good job. :)

Here's a quote from Ravens website...

Pro Career:

2005: Played in all 16 games, starting 12 in 2005...Recorded a career-high 61 tackles (37 solo), 1.5 sacks, 2 PD and 1 FF...2005 SEASON HIGHLIGHTS: Posted 2 solo tackles, including 1 TFL (-5 yards) during a goal-line stand in game 15 vs. Min. (12/25)...Netted 5 tackles and 3 QB pressures in the 48-3 win in game 14 vs. GB (12/19)...Netted 4 tackles (3 solo) and had 1 PD, which led to a LB Adalius Thomas INT (Thomas returned it for 1 TD), in game 12 vs. Hou. (12/4)...Posted 6 tackles (4 solo), a sack (-1 yard) and a FF, which was recovered by Bart Scott, in the 16-13 OT win in game 10 vs. Pit. (11/20)...Started at LB and posted a career-high 8 tackles (7 solo) and a half-sack (-3 yards) in game 9 at Jax. (11/13).

Last edited:
Interesting stuff..... check it out http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=2757050

To some up the whispers
1. Supposedly the pats have issues with #54's decline in pass coverage skills this year and they plan on using him in a limited role in 2007. they also say Teddy will play another season.

2. Tully Banta-cain. Rumor has it that the Jets want him and the Pats have no desire to resign him.

3. Many insiders think the Pats are going to make a hard push for Ravens Free Agent linbacker Adalius Thomas. This would make sense if the Bruschi rumors are true.

Intersting stuff. I would love to see us make a run at Thomas. I also could care less if Tully goes to the Patriots minor league team in New Jersey.

Any thoughts??

All of the above makes sense to me, I think Thomas has a lot of versatility, similar to a Mike Vrabel. He should be able to play inside or outside which would allow the Pats to move their LBs around to keep the best players on the field.

The Bruschi comment is interesting also..
1) Is tedy ok with coming back as a p/t player? I think he knows that if he comes back the Pats will use him in the best way to help the defense, if that means 30 snaps instead of 60 then I think he is professional enough to understand his role and where he is at this stage of his career.
2) Who plays the other snaps? Alexander may get some looks but with Vrabel and Thomas sharing snaps at ILB it may open the door for the Pats to play a rookie for 15-20 plays a game. I didn't think they would consider an ILB in round 1 but maybe they look at someone like Willis as the long-term replacement for Bruschi. The benefit of a round 1 pick is they are signed for 6 years versus 4.

Potential LBs
- a lot of versatility, players moving inside and outside

OLB Rotation - Colvin, Vrabel, Thomas and Woods (very small number of snaps)
ILB Rotation - Bruschi, Vrabel, Thomas, Willis, Alexander
ST - Mays maybe Izzo

The goals would be to keep the best 4 LBs on the field even if they have to move around a bit (Colvin, Vrabel, Thomas would play most snaps), (Bruischi, Willis and Alexander would rotate)

One more LB would be brought in mostly for STs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents