PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats wanted Stewart Bradley? [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Anybody else struggling with this Stewart Bradley tidbit?

AT FS? Who are they? Hawkins is an aging journeyman. RH is in is mid-30s and has had 2 knee injuries and a shoulder injury in his last 2 years. Besides, RH is more of a SS these days. Wilson?

I asked you which team was 3 deep at any position to the point where the 2 sitting on the bench were also starting caliber. Its amazing how you ask someone a question and they totally go off on some tangent and don't answer what was asked of them.

The Pats read the draft. They have their own draft boards and I'm sure that they knew which positions were strong or not. A deep FS draft means that the team felt confident that one would drop to them at #24. I'm sure they didn't expect Tennessee to take Griffin like they did and maybe they tried to trade up but couldn't. W/o a #2 they were lacking in ammunition. Who knows?

Again, if they were DESPERATE, they would have traded UP to ensure getting the player they wanted and not leaving it to chance. Desperate teams do stupid things. The Patriots didn't do the stupid thing. BTW, I am fairly confident in saying that I don't believe that Nelson was on their board and I believe that Griffin was rated behind Meriweather.

Having 2 1st round picks is MORE than enough ammunition to trade up. Their 1st and 3rd would also have been enough to trade up. Sorry, your explanations support the idea that the team was NOT desperate. They don't support the idea that the team was DESPERATE to take a free safety.

IMO, Weddle was overrated and SD overpaid to get him.

I sincerely hope you're right and I'm wrong on EW. He struggled in 2005 and was terrible in 2006 (Jets/Denver games). Regardless of the why's and how's, I just don't feel confident in EW being our last line of defense. He'll have to prove himself again.

If you ignore the why's and how's of a situation, then all you have is uneducated bias. And that is as worthless as a snowball in hell.

Pats wanted Stewart Bradley

Sorry if this is old news...new to me.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20070527_A_new_linebacker_in_this_trio_.html

"Perhaps the most interesting thing about Bradley's NFL career to date is that he was four picks away from joining the New England Patriots last month. According to the Boston Globe, the Patriots planned to take Bradley with the 91st overall selection in the third round but instead traded that pick to Oakland after the Eagles selected Bradley with the 87th overall pick."

"I had a great visit with [the Patriots before the draft]," Bradley said. "But I'm happy I'm here. Hopefully we can get a couple Super Bowl rings and make them jealous of us."

Payback for Merriweather.

Re: Pats wanted Stewart Bradley

Sorry if this is old news...new to me.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20070527_A_new_linebacker_in_this_trio_.html

"Perhaps the most interesting thing about Bradley's NFL career to date is that he was four picks away from joining the New England Patriots last month. According to the Boston Globe, the Patriots planned to take Bradley with the 91st overall selection in the third round but instead traded that pick to Oakland after the Eagles selected Bradley with the 87th overall pick."

"I had a great visit with [the Patriots before the draft]," Bradley said. "But I'm happy I'm here. Hopefully we can get a couple Super Bowl rings and make them jealous of us."

Payback for Merriweather.

Gee, I think I prefer Randy Moss over Bradley. :rocker:

Gee, I think I prefer Randy Moss over Bradley. :rocker:

The correct comparison would be Oscar Lua and next year's 3rd for Bradley.

old news, yes, but freshly disappointing each time I hear it.

So, I want Gabrielle Union and Rozonda "Chilli" Thomas, but that won't happen either, oly in dreams you know.

The correct comparison would be Oscar Lua and next year's 3rd for Bradley.

Or a little more if you hypothesize a trade up to grab him. E.g., Brown.

Nah, its all part of BB's master plan. Let Bradley develop for four years for the Eagles, and sign him in FA if he is worth a damn.

...of course the story contains the phrase "according to the Boston Globe".

Let's take it with a grain of salt.

I heard this earlier, and it really bothers me if true. If Bradley was the only guy they wanted at the end of round 3, as evidenced by the fact they turned around and traded the pick, then with all the extra day 2 choices, why didn't they move up 5 or 6 spots to make sure they snag him?

It's one thing to stay pat if you have a couple of guys you like and it doesn't matter too much which one you get. It's another if there's only 1 guy, and he plays at a position of high need.

That's a screwup.

I heard this earlier, and it really bothers me if true. If Bradley was the only guy they wanted at the end of round 3, as evidenced by the fact they turned around and traded the pick, then with all the extra day 2 choices, why didn't they move up 5 or 6 spots to make sure they snag him?

It's one thing to stay pat if you have a couple of guys you like and it doesn't matter too much which one you get. It's another if there's only 1 guy, and he plays at a position of high need.

That's a screwup.

You should go and read the other thread about this. There is a good chance that the Pats TRIED to move up and couldn't. Or they wouldn't pay the asking price to move up. There are numerous possibilities.

Its not a screw-up.

That's a screwup.

Maybe they didn't want him that much.

Maybe they did screw up but you can't know that unless you actually know what they were thinking or what went on in the war room.

Common sense tells me that if they wanted him that badly they would have traded up a few spots to get him.

Perhaps no one wanted to trade with them. You can't blame them for that.

Last edited:

...of course the story contains the phrase "according to the Boston Globe".

Let's take it with a grain of salt.
Ya missed on this one pardner, Mike Reiss reported this one.

Re: Anybody else struggling with this Stewart Bradley tidbit?

If it was payback, I would prefer Meriweather.

You should go and read the other thread about this. There is a good chance that the Pats TRIED to move up and couldn't. Or they wouldn't pay the asking price to move up. There are numerous possibilities.

Its not a screw-up.

Why is there a good chance they tried to move up? Is this documented somewhere or just made up?

Heaven forbid the Patriots made a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down