PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats vs. Bills Philosophy

MainePatsFan26

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
There is no denying that both New England and Buffalo are top-shelf teams. And it honestly wouldn't surprise me to see Buffalo beat Tampa Bay after feeling pretty salty after tonight's loss.

All that being said, I have to question the Bills on overall philosophy. After a taste of success, the Bills continued to tweak their roster to defeat Kansas City and achieved just that earlier this season. Huzzah and all that. But as we get later in the year, we're starting to see they have a roster that doesn't excel in tough conditions. And tough conditions are common in Buffalo, New England, and New Jersey during the winter.

The Patriots build rosters that can win the division and win games in Foxboro. In other words, we focus on walking before we try to run when it comes to the postseason race. After decades of watching the Pats, it is clear we focus on building a roster that gives ourselves the best chance of winning games in our stadium and those of our division rivals before we worry about the rest of the conference.

Our philosophy gives us a good shot at winning year after year in the East. Compare that with the Bills who are designed to win against pass-happy offenses outside of our division.

Long story short, I can't fathom why Buffalo didn't build a roster around Allen (who is excellent) that plays to their location and division. Even if they win the division and get a home game, they might actually be at a disadvantage playing at home with how they've configured their roster. And frankly... that's just dumb.

Last edited:
There is no denying that both New England and Buffalo are top-shelf teams. And it honestly wouldn't surprise me to see Buffalo beat Tampa Bay after feeling pretty salty after tonight's loss.

All that being said, I have to question the Bills on overall philosophy. After a taste of success, the Bills continued to tweak their roster to defeat Kansas City and achieved just that earlier this season. Huzzah and all that. But as we get later in the year, we're starting to see they have a roster that doesn't excel in tough conditions. And tough conditions are common in Buffalo, New England, and New Jersey during the winter.

The Patriots build rosters that can win the division and win games in Foxboro. In other words, we focus on walking before we try to run when it comes to the postseason race. After decades of watching the Pats, it is clear we focus on building a roster that gives ourselves the best chance of winning games in our stadium and those of our division rivals before we worry about the rest of the conference.

Our philosophy gives us a good shot at winning year after year in the East. Compare that with the Bills who are designed to win against pass-happy offenses outside of our division.

Long story short, I can't fathom why Buffalo didn't build a roster around Allen (who is excellent) that plays to their location and division. Even if they win the division and get a home game, they might actually be at a disadvantage playing at home with how they've configured their roster. And frankly... that's just dumb.
You might be right about the OL but you have to realize the Bills did draft a bunch of guys to stop the run. 2 of them are playing hurt. Star Lotulelei, T Edmunds, and Ed Oliver are all very high draft choices whose primary talent is stopping the run. All 3 are good players

You might be right about the OL but you have to realize the Bills did draft a bunch of guys to stop the run. 2 of them are playing hurt. Star Lotulelei, T Edmunds, and Ed Oliver are all very high draft choices whose primary talent is stopping the run. All 3 are good players
That's a good point and you're right I'm selling the Bills short a bit on run defense. It just seemed strange to me this offseason (and especially tonight) the big narrative around the Bills was that they were designing a team to beat the Chiefs with little focus on building a team to win the division.

Even if the Pats didn't overperform this year, there was a chance the Dolphins were going to make noise. I guess the mindset of the Bills felt arrogant after only one season of real success.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back