PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Trade for Haynesworth (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Pats get haynesworth

According to eei for a fifth round pick....

Schefter Tweets Pats Trade for Haynesworth

For a 2013 5th rounder

Twitter

Re: Pats get haynesworth

are you serious, bro???

Just saw this. I'm pretty stunned. They've given up basically nothing to get him but I just hope they can lessen his contract

OMG

OMG

OMG

I JUST HEARD IT

WOW...when Schefter started talking I siad PLEASE PLEASE PLASE PATRIOTS

AND HE SAID PATS

HE siad Pats only have to pay 5 mill...redskins paid majority

wowow

Love it. Absolutely love it. 5th round pick isn't going to burn the Pats if he flames out.

Per Schefter the Pats are only on the hook for $5 million for Haynesworth this year.

Absolutely love this trade.

This is AWESOME

I went crazy in celebration in the other thread. So he didn't like playing the nose last year in a 3-4 so Im guessing he will play DE here in Seymour's old position....WOW...beefing up on the DLINE!!! :D

:confused:

This is pretty funny though tbf

I swear I can hear the Jets fans laughing their ass off.

This is such a non-Kraft move. Haynesworth leaves a trail of mayhem everywhere he goes. His traffic arrests are frightening. Maybe this is Governor Patrick's way of getting everyone to use mass transportation.

He is a monster on the d-line, though. A 3-4 front of Haynesworth, Warren and Wilfork is pretty tough. You need to double team all three.

Can he play olb? ;-) Rush the passer? Situational?

Last edited:
Damn!

I like this trade! Haynesworth will know what BB isn't scared of getting rid of him if he is a pain in the ass!

I thought he didn't want to be in a 3-4???

Wholly crap. Big Vince is gonna be loving this.

haynesworth does not want to play in a 3-4 defense, are moving to a 4-3 defense?

If he shows up on Sundays then this d-line will be insane.

Haynesworth smash puny qbs.

so here's the question: Can he rush the passer?

My first thought was "WTF" but the more I think about it, I love this trade!

Damn!

I like this trade! Haynesworth will know what BB isn't scared of getting rid of him if he is a pain in the ass!

I thought he didn't want to be in a 3-4???

Wow, I'm stunned at this move. Love it though. Not quite sure how we're going to use him, and it's a good point about the 3-4 thing. Maybe he plays DE? I mean he's a bit heavy, but he's 6'6 and he's 25 pounds heavier than Seymour. If he lost a bit of weight, might be able to do it? Plus we were in our sub package half the time last year, although his role would still be quite different there even in the 4-3.

I don't know. It's early. I haven't had a chance to really think this through. Just in total shock. Typical Pats. It's all quiet, kind of boring, ho hum...then a huge deal out of nowhere.

Last edited:
Well, you gotta assume that Belichick talked to Haynesworth before the trade and he said he is going to be a good soldier and actually put in the effort, but I am not really thrilled with this trade. Haynesworth is immensly talented, but he is a huge cancer too.

If somehow Belichick can get him to buy into the system and try, it is a huge trade. If not, he will be gone really quick. On the bright side, it is a low risk, high reward try of trade.

His contract details are here

INSIDE THE CAP with J.I. Halsell: Haynesworth Contract Details...Don't Believe Everything You Hear in the Media

Essentially he's got $5.4m left guaranteed for playing in 2011.

He then gets paid $6.7m in non-guaranteed salary in 2012.

He then has a stupid $20m option bonus at the start of 2013, which means he's only here for max of 2 years.

However, if we can get him to convert the $5.4m salary this year into a signing bonus (maybe $1.2m in guaranteed salary and $4.2m in bonus), can we not spread it out on the cap over the life of his contract till 2015?

Meaning he will count less than $2m on the cap this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes