PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats to install FieldTurf for Bears game

Status
Not open for further replies.
PATSNUTme said:
This is not your daddy's Astro Turf. That stuff use to look good on TV but it was hell to play on and caused many injuries.

Except when it was really wet and the lights were on it back in the day of Rod Rust or McPherson. It looked like a giant illuminated aluminum panel or something, at least on TV. Now, those were the bad old days.

i wont be surprised if conspiracy theorists(or polian) ask why this was not done before the colts game when the pats were on the road for 2 weeks + the bye :)

Not too thrilled about this bit of news, but it had to be done. We'll never truly know why the organization were unable to properly take care of the grass.

I will miss scenes like this...

1101741811_4487.jpg

Read or heard somewhere that one of the issues with real grass is the angle of the sun this time of year, i.e. there is none, so despite the soil being heated it lacked the solar benefits of it growing.

I used to have a piece of the old turf, it was like slick and extremely hard.. I would not have wanted to play on that stuff.

Sorry, double post.

Last edited:
Seymour93 said:
Not too thrilled about this bit of news, but it had to be done. We'll never truly know why the organization were unable to properly take care of the grass.

I will miss scenes like this...

1101741811_4487.jpg

How many years have the Pats been on grass? I'll miss that element as well. I have very mixed feelings over this. However, Brady is 18-1 on artificial surfaces. Maybe it'll help the passing game come together.

4 road games (all on an artificial surface) three blowouts and 1 should have been blowout.

NY Jets (field turf) ? Big lead throughout the game-. Patriots played the prevent defense and the score became closer than the game actually was.
Cincinnati (field turf) ? Offence kicking on all cylinders?blowout
Buffalo (field turf) ? Blowout
Minnesota (field turf) ? Blowout

This team is built for speed with offensive players like LM, Jackson, Gabriel and defensive players like Colvin, Wilfork, and Seymour. The slow field no longer benefits the Patriots and BB knows it. Never until this year has he admitted the field was a mess.

captain stone said:
if the patsies ever play a home game in January, it will still be cold and possibly snowy; so they have that going for them.
What f-ing planet is this troll from? "If" the Patriots "ever" play a home game in January?

The Patriots have played more home games in January in the past 5 years than any team in the NFL

Put me in the sad to see it being necessary group. Its one thing if the field is beat up by the time the playoffs come around; but having a field that bad in October was a little too bush league. I don't think it'll be some sort of magic elixir for Brady though. He's having a bad year.

You guys have missed the happiest person about this. Tom Brady. He
mentioned before the Viking game how much easier it is to plant and throw on the turf. No coincidence his worse games have been at home. Probably, has more confidence the receivers will get where he wants to deliver the ball.

And to AGAIN re-state my opinion on FieldTurf:

A) Why has the field come to be like this? It's simple, and it has to do with Kraft's, well, greed.

Movies. Concerts. Soccer. Football.

They're trying to squeeze all of the above on the field, and it's just not working.

B) We all know how the Pats left the field uncovered before the Jan. 2005 Colts game. We all know how the Pats feel about Polian, his crybaby rants, his soft Colts, and their climate controlled dome.

But, if it all stands to be true, I mourn another blow to the status of the Patriots. I'm still upset about what effects the Pats' trip to China will have on the team. And we all know that was a purely BUSINESS decision. I don't want my hometown Pats to be like any other team. We should pride ourselves in an owner like Kraft, out on the field saying, "It's not that cold out," where he prided himself on his days sitting on the frozen Foxboro benches.

First it was the step from a non-heated to a heated field, eliminating any "risk" of having inches of snow on the field, a la the legendary "Snow Bowl." Now this - a divot-less, mud-less, dirt-less - FOOTBALL-LESS field. Just another step.

I don't want to know what's next. We might have the FieldTurf, a la Ralph Wilson stadium. So...Jonathan/Robert Kraft stadium next?

1101741811_4487.jpg

PC140019-02.jpg

R.I.P.

Well, the team could have avoided sharing their field with rock bands and soccer teams if they had moved to St Louis, or Connecticut or Providence. You can't blame the Krafts for feeling it necessary to turn a fair profit with the gigantic pile of money they risked in buying what was a crappy team.

My view on this: if Brady wants turf, I say give him the turf. I'm not the one out there taking the risk of slipping and falling with 300-pound DLs chasing me. :)

sdaniels7114 said:
Well, the team could have avoided sharing their field with rock bands and soccer teams if they had moved to St Louis, or Connecticut or Providence. You can't blame the Krafts for feeling it necessary to turn a fair profit with the gigantic pile of money they risked in buying what was a crappy team.

Shooting a friggin' movie on the field doesn't help either.

zoostation said:
What f-ing planet is this troll from? "If" the Patriots "ever" play a home game in January?

The Patriots have played more home games in January in the past 5 years than any team in the NFL

Please, let me rephrase: If they ever play ANOTHER home game in January,...

Sorry for the confusion.

CTPatsFan said:
Told ya so.

http://216.69.140.4/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=44188

FWIW, if they really wanted to grow grass there they could have. Sunlight intensity isn't the best this time of year in a E-W configured stadium, but that's basically an excuse. The turf was mismanaged on many levels and JK is looking for a scapegoat.

CTPF, is > 2 weeks enough time for the FieldTurf to "take hold" of whatever will be underneath it? Nobody wants to see a repeat of the Astrodome and Veterans' Stadium embarassments, I'm sure. Thanks.

captain stone said:
Please, let me rephrase: If they ever play ANOTHER home game in January,...

Sorry for the confusion.

If? Don't you mean 'when?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes