PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats popularity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats1989

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Red Sox didn't seem to get as much buzz as they usually do. For a playoff team, l found it surprising. Right now l think the Pats are the most popular team due to recent success. With everything being equal, where do you rank the Pats in Boston Sports?

UqHn5pW.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: PP2

NFL ratings will always beat MLB. Not to mention Sunday afternoon vs Thursday . Nonetheless, l think the Pats are more popular at this time. With that said, l think Red Sox fans are more loyal in general. They stunk up in 2014 and 2015 yet filled the park.

Judging by the amount of airtime devoted on WEEI, the Sox are 90% of the pie, while the Pats are barely a blip on the map.

Maybe now that the Sox are eliminated, they will go down to 80%o_O

Pats
Sox
Bruins
Celts

Boston is a pretty provincial market for sports. Basketball is the 2nd most popular national sport, but here, it's the fourth ranked. And it's not even close.

That said, Celtics >>>>>>>> Bruins, Red Sox, in terms of the quality product and entertainment value

Judging by the amount of airtime devoted on WEEI, the Sox are 90% of the pie, while the Pats are barely a blip on the map.

Maybe now that the Sox are eliminated, they will go down to 80%o_O

Back in the early 2000's EEI was really fun to listen to during football season. I feel that their actual football talk is lacking nowadays. I don't really like Felger or Mazz that much so I don't really listen to the other station.

Anyway this is a Patriots town now.. little kids growing up all know who Tom Brady is.

It's funny. Boston used to be a baseball town with Bruins/Celts at a tie for 2nd and nobody gave a sh*t about the Pats. Kraft/BB/Brady have completely changed the landscape.

It's Pats by a long shot, followed by the Sox, Bruins and Celtics, imo.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2

I was a baseball fan back when I was in high school and had the time to listen or watch the games, but those days are long gone. I was thinking I'd turn on the Sox/Indians playoffs just for old times sake, but I'm a cord cutter, no TBS for me, and so no MLB playoffs. Oh well, it seems I didn't miss much if anything...

Patriots definitely

Off topic but 2004 was a special year. The greatest team in patriots history and the first Red Sox World Series in 86 years with the greatest comeback of all time

I can't imagine ever experiencing a 2004 again

I was a baseball fan back when I was in high school and had the time to listen or watch the games, but those days are long gone. I was thinking I'd turn on the Sox/Indians playoffs just for old times sake, but I'm a cord cutter, no TBS for me, and so no MLB playoffs. Oh well, it seems I didn't miss much if anything...

Yeah, that's kinda the thing for me too. If I still lived in Boston I bet I'd be a bigger Sox fan--I used to follow them almost as closely as I followed the Pats--but living in CA it's just a lot harder to follow them. Baseball is pretty much an everyday commitment, and being 3 hours behind the times just don't match up often enough even when I subscribe to MLB.tv and get the games. And for you (assuming you live in New England) that's not even an option since I'm pretty sure MBL.tv blacks out all the local games.

Football's much easier since you only have to commit 3-4 hours per week and you can watch every minute of the Pats.

Patriots definitely

Off topic but 2004 was a special year. The greatest team in patriots history and the first Red Sox World Series in 86 years with the greatest comeback of all time

I can't imagine ever experiencing a 2004 again

2007-2008 came so close to topping it, in hindsight. We were a helmet catch away from the Pats, Celtics and Red Sox all being defending champs at the same time. Would've been incredible.

I'm not even 100% sure that would've done it, though. For me personally, I don't see how anything could ever top the Sox winning it all in 2004, although Super Bowl 49 came surprisingly close. I'm from Maine but at the time I was in college in Boston back in 2004. As soon as Foulke got that last ground out I hauled ass down to Fenway just to be there. It was insanity in the best possible way, pretty sure I got hugged by a few dozen strangers.

Back in the early 2000's EEI was really fun to listen to during football season. I feel that their actual football talk is lacking nowadays. I don't really like Felger or Mazz that much so I don't really listen to the other station.

Anyway this is a Patriots town now.. little kids growing up all know who Tom Brady is.

Tom Brady is today's Bobby Orr.

History will judge, but of these 4 Boston sports legends, how should they be ranked as of right now, (acknowledging that Brady isn't done). My order is below and open for debate of course:

1. Bill Russell
2. Tom Brady
3. Ted Williams
4. Bobby Orr

Last edited:
History will judge, but of these 4 Boston sports legends, how should they be ranked as of right now (acknowledging that Brady isn't done). My order is below:

1. Bill Russell
2. Tom Brady
3. Ted Williams
4. Bobby Orr

You can make an argument for putting Brady over Orr but not Williams. Orr changed the game of hockey and lead the league in scoring TWICE a a defensemen. Plus Orr has the 2 championships.

You can make an argument Orr was the greatest hockey player ever to live and #2 only behind 99. Williams, as great as he was will never be in that discussion.

Having lived in NE in the 70s and early 80s, and away since, the idea that Boston is not a Red Sox town is shocking to me. I know it is true - just hard to comprehend. I remember Sox, Bruins, then the Celts and finally the Pats. Even though Celts were the ones winning the titles (they only became popular when Bird got there).

Even though Celts were the ones winning the titles (they only became popular when Bird got there).

Really? In the mid to late 70s the Celtics were the only Boston team winning championships. They won in 74 and 76. By 76 Orr was done. The celts were still very popular before Bird arrived.

History will judge, but of these 4 Boston sports legends, how should they be ranked as of right now, (acknowledging that Brady isn't done). My order is below:

1. Bill Russell
2. Tom Brady
3. Ted Williams
4. Bobby Orr

Is Tom Brady the starting QB on the alltime NFL team - debatable, but I say yes. Does Orr start on defense for the alltime NHL team - yes. Does Williams start in LF on the alltime MLB team - probably. Does Bill Russell start at center on the alltime NBA team - I bet most NBA fans would say no - they might be wrong, but I bet that would be the case. Fans are hung up on scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back