PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats of the Past: Jim Lee Hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any aging Yankees ~ there is no such animal as a "New Englander" ~ who grew up rooting for the Giants committed no sin, 'cause you gotta root for someone, and in those days the only Games on TeleVision ~ or Radio, if you're even older!! :eek: ~ were of the Giants.

The Cleveland Browns were on the radio here in Boston back then to.

Any aging Yankees ~ there is no such animal as a "New Englander" ~ who grew up rooting for the Giants committed no sin, 'cause you gotta root for someone, and in those days the only Games on TeleVision ~ or Radio, if you're even older!! :eek: ~ were of the Giants.

The Cleveland Browns were on the radio here in Boston back then to.

No kidding? Well, maybe Pops forgot to mention it, but that does make perfect sense, 'cause he told me that he followed the Browns as well's the Giants. I'd just assumed that he followed the Browns 'cause he was a front-running weasel, like Dennis Leary. :D

...Unlike vermin like Dennis Leary, a native Yankee who grew up in the 60's and started rooting for the Green Bay Championship Packers over the Patriots, in order to compensate for being a flaccid, thieving, verminous, hypocritical parasite. But, hey: he's sure a funny guy. ;)

I keep meaning to clarify, so I'm glad Tom reminded me: For what it's worth, I don't consider Dennis Leary vermin because he's a front-running weasel who started rooting for the Packers because they were winning championships at the time, and then invented some lies to act as if there was some other reason...I consider'm vermin because his entire career ~ the only reason that anyone's ever heard of the scumbag ~ is because he completely plagiarized his schtick from Bill Hicks, a guy who had actual talent, but who died before he got a chance to burn'm down.

Last edited:

But you really gotta question the thinking of anyone who didn't immediately drop the New York team in favor of the New EngLand team...Loyalty is commendable, but loyalty to being a Yankee ought to clearly that'f loyalty to a team from New York. o_O

Even so, I repeat: No sin was committed, and any aging Yankee who persists in rooting for the team that he grew up rooting for loses none of my respect...Unlike vermin like Dennis Leary, a native Yankee who grew up in the 60's and started rooting for the Green Bay Championship Packers over the Patriots, in order to compensate for being a flaccid, thieving, verminous, hypocritical parasite. But, hey: he's sure a funny guy. ;)
I never rooted for the Giants, even though my Dad and all of my friends did. Could not stand the idea of any New York City team gaining my allegiance just because CBS piped their games to Mass. I ended up cheering for the Browns - and Jim Brown, although the Giants usually beat them in the annual showdown for the Eastern Division championship.

Big Fan of yours, Brother Maust, but you've got it ass backwards on this one.

The term "Yankee" has acquired additional, derivative definitions over the centuries.

Outside of America: American.

Outside of Dixie: Northerner.

But it retains a very specific core definition ~ it's original and truest definition:

Native of New EngLand

Nothing more.

Nothing less.

Just because some dogshytte baseball team from New York claimed the name 100 years ago and still persists in doing so ~ and just because 90-99 of Yankees are ignorant enough to actually go along with that bullshytte, surrender their unique and freedom fighting heritage, and call themselves "New EngLanders" :rolleyes: doesn't make it true.

Why do you think that the term "Yankee" grew to be considered by many to be the collective name for all Americans? It's obvious, isn't it?

It's because New EngLand dominated our nation's formative history.
The version I heard was: to the world, a Yankee is an American; to an American, a Yankee is a northerner; to a northerner, a Yankee is a New Englander, and to a New Englander, a Yankee is someone from Vermont.

The version I heard was: to the world, a Yankee is an American; to an American, a Yankee is a northerner; to a northerner, a Yankee is a New Englander, and to a New Englander, a Yankee is someone from Vermont.

Except of course when we are talking sports where it means a member of the most despised of hardball adversaries. ;)

Glad you posted it. I like reading up on the ole teams as well.
I always despised the Giants. My dad liked and rightfully respected the oldies, from the fifties and early sixties, as they did indeed have lots of good players. Y.A. Tittle is underrated.

But I was born into the Patriots. I hate New York. And, it was in fact the Giants who were deserving of all the derision in the 70's - they were the laughingstock. Yet they were piped into the Boston television market all the time, and as far as I'm concerned the old timers could go out and spend $20,000 on a satellite dish if they need to see their loser New York team so badly.

Then, the nightmare 80's occurred, with bullying Bill Parcells leading an arrogant, entitled team to two titles (thanks Belichick, Coughlin, et al.) They suck. By the time this century came along, they are despicable. "A classy and most-respected franchise and owner". Barf.

Were any of the Redskins Super Bowls won in a non-strike season in the 80's? No. Nobody ever mentions that, but it if had been the Patriots that's ALL anyone would ever say, to this day.

The Bears were the "Darlings of America", despite the fact they were a bunch of ******* losers who could, and perhaps should, have lost.

Take a deep breath, and look objectively at Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, and the Patriots of this century. With one or two exceptions, heroic players who made unforgettable plays to set amazing records and win five titles. Without the bluster, arrogance, selfishness and media hype of their title winning predecessors.

How on Earth can the New England Patriots not be not only the darlings of football, but the real America's Team?

Answer:

The media. Local and national. Things are and aren't, what THEY say they are and aren't.

No kidding? Well, maybe Pops forgot to mention it, but that does make perfect sense, 'cause he told me that he followed the Browns as well's the Giants. I'd just assumed that he followed the Browns 'cause he was a front-running weasel, like Dennis Leary. :D

Yeah, they were way over on the far left of the dial.

I keep meaning to clarify, so I'm glad Tom reminded me: For what it's worth, I don't consider Dennis Leary vermin because he's a front-running weasel who started rooting for the Packers because they were winning championships at the time, and then invented some lies to act as if there was some other reason...I consider'm vermin because his entire career ~ the only reason that anyone's ever heard of the scumbag ~ is because he completely plagiarized his schtick from Bill Hicks, a guy who had actual talent, but who died before he got a chance to burn'm down.

RIP Bill Hicks. May he smoke in peace.

**** Denis Leary.

That's really cool! My granddad was a Giants fan growing up, but he turned over to the Pats once we got a team. Crazy for me to think about New England without football, it's the biggest sport in the region right now.
Also crazy to think that the Giants are probably the second-favorite team in the area, since everyone grew up cheering for them. I still don't like thinking about Super Bowls 42 and 46

My neighbor in Mass was a Giants fan. Raised all his kids to Giants fans. He was from Forge Village and his dad was a die hard Giants fan.

My neighbor in Mass was a Giants fan. Raised all his kids to Giants fans. He was from Forge Village and his dad was a die hard Giants fan.
I think it's real nice there are so many Giants fans here in New England, good for them.

The fact that they suck, are classless from the top on down, and utterly unrootable, is not my problem.

The fact that quite a few good players and coaches have been there over the years, is not my problem, either.

I will take Billy Sullivan over them all week and especially on Sundays.

I stumbled upon this series the other day. Anyone who's a fan of Pats history would probably really like this site.
Conversely, "Ranker NFL" (ranker.com) has some of the stupidest lists I've ever seen on any subject, ever.

Example: Best Pats RB's, all time: lots of stiffs on list; not on list at all: Jim Nance

Pro Football at Fenway and it was nowhere near the idyllic cleaned up Fenway you are used to now, it was a grimy dump and the years they played at Alumni & Harvard were upgrades. Hell even with the ridiculous traffic and mud parking lots we were thrilled when Schaefer opened. I can still remember my Dad at a Fenway game saying "Any team with an owner that runs his team on a shoestring playing here like this will never amount to anything until they get a real owner with cash in his pockets instead of holes" Damn if he wasn't right, lol. Wish he could see them now, although he sure would have broken my balls in '07. He crushed us over slowly abandoning his team and switching our full allegiance to the Pats but they were local. My brothers and I could go to 7 games a year instead of one Giants game every couple of years. It might have been scruffy but by God they were at least here and they were ours, not some damn NY team. It just always seemed so incongruous to be rooting for the Giants when we despised the Knicks, Rangers and f'n Yankees.

Thanks, now that I know it's sincere I'm glad you put it up. :)
My original Patsfans handle was jimleehunt. Thanks for giving props to my 2 favorite players from the early years.
Glad you posted it. I like reading up on the ole teams as well.
I am a fan from Game ONE.
Stumbled or are you the author David Latham?
Some good video here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft