PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats have the most cap space in the league

They’ve actually spent a lot of money just to bring their roster back to what it was last season. If they don’t nail the draft Madden style picking a bunch of super stars, we will have this same conversation in 2025 and picking 2nd or 3rd.

The issue is that cap space can be a golden carrot. All year people held their hats on the idea that "oh well next year we'll make a big free agency splash". But then it turned out that this was a very weak free agency and even worse when you look at the positions of need we had to prioritize. Then on top of everything else, the cap went up a lot and teams were able to spend to keep guys that we thought might be up for grabs. So it didn't end up meaning anything and it was just copium.

why not bring in a veteran OT on a 1 year deal? Don't care if it's Leno, Humphrey Dillard or someone else.

There would be no future cap hit and it drives competition.

Just because some guys played bad last year doesn't necessarily mean they are playing bad here too, it could have been scheme/healtj issues we don't know about.

Julian Blackmon would be awesome, good performance and still young

How many Vet O-line do they need? They brought in Okorafor, Leverett, and Jordan. They currently have 14 OLine on the roster with 70 players signed. They are, almost certainly, drafting an LT in the 1st two rounds. The Pats already have several OTs in Anderson, McDermott, Lowe, Wheatley, Okorafor, and Steuber. I believe that Okorafor is the "vet" swing tackle, though I think he'll be the starting RT on opening day if he makes the roster. . McDermott or Anderson could also fall into the category of vet swing tackle.

Dillard was the WORST OT last year in the league. He gave up 12 sacks, 9 hits and 20 hurries in 331 Pass Blocking snaps. That's horrid. I'd rather go with McDermott or Anderson at LT. McDermott only gave up 2 sacks, 2 hits, and 10 hurries in 145 Pass blocking attempts at LT..

Who is Humprhey?

Leno may not want to come here or he may want to be a starter and not a backup. Also, Leno falls into that "Over 30" group that I believe that the Pats are trying to stay away from. I mean, look at all the contracts. Henry's and Bourne's contracts are the only 2 that take the player beyond 30. Bourne's could be ended after the 24 season with no real hit.

I'm hoping that, if the Pats do have a rule about not signing people over 30, that they make an exception for Gilmore because I think he'd be a great Mentor for Gonzalez. That being said, with 12-13 DBs (depending on how Mayo views Mapu), Mayo may think that's enough for now.

What would Baltimore give us to get judon back?

Don’t really see anyone there I’d care about other than Gilly…because he’s so smart and technically perfect and could be a big teacher for all the young DBs.

Dugger and Barmore and Judon are the priorities, I agree.

I love that they’re re-signing their own players.

They’ve actually spent a lot of money just to bring their roster back to what it was last season. If they don’t nail the draft Madden style picking a bunch of super stars, we will have this same conversation in 2025 and picking 2nd or 3rd.
The team is way better than last year because of the QB and the maturing of young players. Hopefully there won’t be as many devastating injuries.

Still NOT spending?

FIVE teams have spent more 2024 cap than the patriots. We have spent $47M so far.

We need an emoji for "Stop confusing me with facts."

Love that we act like they haven’t tried to sign anyone. Good players want to play for good teams. We are not a good team. Have to show some signs of life before top level players want to come here. This is why we need to DRAFT A QB AT 3!!!!!

Homers don't realize you can spend your free agent money while still building through the draft. Maybe another 3 win season will change their tune?

The team is way better than last year because of the QB and the maturing of young players. Hopefully there won’t be as many devastating injuries.
because of the QB to replace Jones
because of adding a veteran OT who has started at both LT and RT as an upgrade to Lowe
because we added a solid WR (Osborne) to replace Parker
because we have a new set of coaches on Offense who will be able to work with the back office and the Head Coach
because we have some kids to choose from as a replacement to Bryant (Austin, Bolden, and Marco Wilson)

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back