PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats eyeing Chris Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pats eyeing Brown

with the signing of james and the drafting of merriweather i think they are done in the defensive backfield,insdie line backer is the only hole i see, and maybe that is alexander, he was thrown into a tough situation in the indy game but hes going into his 3rd year he maybe ready to help

Speaking of linebackers. I read in the Insiders Lounge over at Patriotsinsiders that the Pats REALLY like Cory Mays. Maybe BB likes what he already has. I'll be keeping an eye on our young linebackers when I go to training camp this year. Hopefully Mays, Woods and Alexander improve their game.

Speaking of linebackers. I read in the Insiders Lounge over at Patriotsinsiders that the Pats REALLY like Cory Mays. Maybe BB likes what he already has. I'll be keeping an eye on our young linebackers when I go to training camp this year. Hopefully Mays, Woods and Alexander improve their game.

I hope he likes him more than he liked Beisel. :eek:

You cannot PROVE anything from college performance. And yes, you can develop a wrestler into a starting, if you are willing to invest enough years. HOWEVER, it very unlikely that you will get a develop someone who has never ran the ball into a starting running back, not impossible, just unlikely.

You point out that we didn't have a Dillon type for a long time before Dillon as evidence that we don't need a Dillon-type runner. Hogwash! This was a serious deficiency for years.

We use the evidence we have. The vast majority of successful NFL players played similar positions in college. And yes, I do understand that pro LG's are usually LT's in college, and that 3-4 OLB's were DE's. Those are similar positions. And yes, I also know that college QB's often switch positions, since they are often the most talented players on their teams and need to find a way to make the NFL squads, since there are more talented QB's than roster spots.

I think that it more likely that Hairsten (who ran for over 1800 yeards last year) will share the load with Maroney than will Mills. Or perhaps pioli will sign or trade for someone. Recently Turner and Brown have been looked at.

You can call me whatever names you want. None of the names will make one of top TE's in college football into a running back. The fact is that we drafted two TE's to try to replace Graham who would likely leave, and to be the 3rd TE. Thomas stepped up last year. We then had one TE roster spot. We ahve a PS squad player, and then signed Kyle Brady. Mills is on my roster as a very vulnerable 4th TE. In the end, he could make the team as a perennial STer, as Pass did; but we have filled that roster spot with Morris.

just my 2 cents! You are free to hope that bb can find starters flipping burgers, or in the Arena league. Or you can hope that a 285 pound DT can play linebacker. Such things happen, but not all that often.

This and similar posts are the dumbest things I've seen here since bsamson and mikey. A player cannot do "XXX" if he did not do it in college. A player cannot do "YYY" because he didn't do it as a rookie on IR.

College perfromance and rookie year perfornance, on IR or not, are two of the measurables for predicting the future succss of an NFL career, but not the only two.

Why don't you post Brady's passing stats from 2000 and use them to show that he can replace Bledsoe in 2001?

Also post Antwan Randle El's college receiving stats, and use them to show that he can be a receiver in the NFL.

Then do the same for Stephen Neal and Antonio Gates.

And Jason Peters. How much tackle did he play in college? He was undrafted as a TE, but is doing great at OT.

I am not saying the Mills can be a FB or that he cannot. I'm saying that you cannot "prove" a guy can't do something because he has not done it.

Just because a guy is not a top first found pick with great college stats does not mean he cannot be an NFL player. (Just because he does have a great college career does not mean he has an All-Pro NFL careeer ahead of him either.

Sometimes you have to get rid of the idea that football players are pieces of machinery. You have to look at the player and form an opinion.

Mills may be a good blocking, pass-catching FB, or he may not. But you cannot prove he will not be by lack of stats.

Anyway, teams look to build complete teams. They seldom go out and find a guy that does exactly what previous guy dis and stick in into the lineup like a replacement part from AutoZone.

We didn't have a Dillon type before Dillon, not for a long time, anyway, and we may not this year.

If Mills/Hairston/Evans can do well in preseaon, they will have a job. If Brown comes in, he will compete with Morris and the rest, and whoever plays well this year will have a job. Many criteria will be used on cutdown day, but what the guy did last year will not be one of them.

End of rant.

Last edited:

Sign Brown and Hartwell and call it a season.

You forgot Garrett Mills who plays FB/HB. I think the speed with which they signed Morris means they have plans for him.

If by "HB" you mean H-Back, then you're correct.

But if by "HB" you mean halfback, then there's very, very little chance that Mills plays tailback/halfback/running back.

To clear up some misconceptions that have been floating around since last April:

WHAT MILLS IS NOT:

-A "running" back. You will NEVER see Mills lined up as the lone setback in a formation. You will VERY RARELY see him carry the ball.
-A long-snapping replacement for Lonie Paxton.

WHAT MILLS IS:

-A Keith Byars, Chris Cooley style H-back.
-A decent pass-catching TE.
-Someone who will be in motion frequently, especially to the slot.
-A mediocre blocking FB.

To again remind everyone of his role in the 2006 preseason game he most participated in:

4th quarter of the NE/ATL game.

He lined up as a blocking FB a few times on runs with Thomas/Rasby at TE. But all of his catches were out of the SLOT as a WR. Never did he line up as a lone RB. He isn't going to replace Faulk.

1-10-NE44 (12:30) M.Cassel pass short right to G.Mills to ATL 41 for 15 yards (N.Turnbull).

3 WR, 1 RB, TE right, Mills left slot (deep crossing pattern)

2-1-ATL32 (11:14) M.Cassel pass deep right to G.Mills pushed ob at ATL 1 for 31 yards (C.Newton).

3 WR, 1 RB, TE right, Mills left slot (deep crossing pattern)

2-13-NE5 (7:38) M.Cassel pass incomplete deep right to G.Mills (O.Lowe).

3 WR, 1 RB, TE left, Mills right slot. (deep seam pattern)

2-10-NE45 (5:48) M.Cassel pass short left to G.Mills pushed ob at ATL 46 for 9 yards (N.Turnbull).

3 WR, 1 RB, TE left, Mills left slot. (quick out)

4-1-ATL46 (4:29) M.Cassel pass short left to G.Mills pushed ob at ATL 29 for 17 yards (L.Torrence).

3 WR, 1 RB, TE right, Mills left slot. (quick out)

2-11-ATL30 (3:41) M.Cassel pass incomplete short left to G.Mills.

3 WR, 1 RB, TE right, Mills left slot. (quick out, dropped)

1-10-ATL15 (3:28) M.Cassel pass short left to G.Mills to ATL 12 for 3 yards (N.Turnbull).

3 WR, 1 RB, TE right, Mills left slot. (quick out)

I'm curious has to how many RBs we will carry into the season. Four running backs and then a full back? Three running backs and then a full back?

Right now we have

Laurence Maroney
Kevin Faulk
Sammie Morris
Heath Evans
Justise Hairston
Quadtrine Hill

Maroney and Faulk are the only real locks to make the roster (which he has yet to do - I wasn't impressed by his blocking last preseason), but I'd say Evans is pretty close to a lock.

That's agreeable. But if Mills can show he can fill in for Evans as blocker, and Brown is signed as a 4th HB, then Evans is expendable.

zippo59 said:
Morris probably makes the team as well. Hill is really more of a full back so I see him as most likely going to the practice squad. So I think at this point the player who is really up in the air is Hairston. He would probably make it at this point if they decide to carry four running backs and a FB, but all that would change if Brown is signed. If Hairston is cut he most likely ends up on the practice squad.

Yes, at this point, Hairston is a long shot. Definitely more of a developmental player with a power running style.

This and similar posts are the dumbest things I've seen here since bsamson and mikey. A player cannot do "XXX" if he did not do it in college. A player cannot do "YYY" because he didn't do it as a rookie on IR.

College perfromance and rookie year perfornance, on IR or not, are two of the measurables for predicting the future succss of an NFL career, but not the only two.

Why don't you post Brady's passing stats from 2000 and use them to show that he can replace Bledsoe in 2001?

Also post Antwan Randle El's college receiving stats, and use them to show that he can be a receiver in the NFL.

Then do the same for Stephen Neal and Antonio Gates.

And Jason Peters. How much tackle did he play in college? He was undrafted as a TE, but is doing great at OT.

I am not saying the Mills can be a FB or that he cannot. I'm saying that you cannot "prove" a guy can't do something because he has not done it.

Just because a guy is not a top first found pick with great college stats does not mean he cannot be an NFL player. (Just because he does have a great college career does not mean he has an All-Pro NFL careeer ahead of him either.

Sometimes you have to get rid of the idea that football players are pieces of machinery. You have to look at the player and form an opinion.

Mills may be a good blocking, pass-catching FB, or he may not. But you cannot prove he will not be by lack of stats.

Anyway, teams look to build complete teams. They seldom go out and find a guy that does exactly what previous guy dis and stick in into the lineup like a replacement part from AutoZone.

We didn't have a Dillon type before Dillon, not for a long time, anyway, and we may not this year.

If Mills/Hairston/Evans can do well in preseaon, they will have a job. If Brown comes in, he will compete with Morris and the rest, and whoever plays well this year will have a job. Many criteria will be used on cutdown day, but what the guy did last year will not be one of them.

End of rant.

Mills didn't have a single rush in college. In high school, he played TE. I saw a number of his games (we went to the same HS) and I don't recall him getting many carries, if at all, on that level either.

Is there any updated news on whether he is going to sign with us or not?

i like Justise Hairston i think he will have 500 plus yeds as a back up with marrony geting 1600

We also have Quadtrine Hill, who might be fine for short-yardage situations.

I like Hairston also, but I don't think he is ready for a 500 yard role on the team.

i like Justise Hairston i think he will have 500 plus yeds as a back up with marrony geting 1600

I would so much rather have Brown over Morris

2 words..Sammy Morris.

If you aint happt with that, than I dunno what to tell ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back