PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats @ Eagles Superbowl X's & O's ONLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it me or is the eagles defensive line overrated? They have 4 sacks in the playoffs and were ranked 15th in the league in sacks during the regular season. I’m not saying they are bad, but I think NE has faced better defensive fronts before. Jacksonville had more sacks, INTs and forced fumbles.

it is. jernigan was a big disappointment in baltimore as brandon williams beat him out.

cox is the guy but i believe solder contains curry or long just fine and scar will scheme to beat cox.

and, as much as i admire long, he is a bit one dimensional on the edge.

also, if you look at when they played a good, balanced offense (kc, oak), they struggled.

look at the rest of the offenses they played, especially in that crap division. it is worse than the afc east and the pats had the tougher schedule overall.

this article from jeff howe pretty much mirrors your analysis. their defense is built from the front 4. and have a pretty average secondary.

Sounds like if Brady can have a clean pocket/get the ball out quick they should have some matchup advantages. What seemed to bother the pats against the jaguars wasnt just the pressure, but the outstanding secondary and the fact that the linebackers were so quick they bottled up the short passes to lewis/white.

One of bradys sacks in the jaguars game I remember him having quite abit of time in the pocket and just no one being open.

agreed. malcolm
jenkins is in for a rude awakening

Good writeup, Bob.

As far as the D, Schwartz is the general who likes to throw all his firepower up front and leave little for the backfield- he likes to run a wide nine attack front where you have DE's come screaming off the far edges and interior linemen engage in stunts and twists. All of this as you correctly stated, puts a lot of stress on the backfield which is left in a simple cover 1 or 3 coverage as compensation for putting everything up front.

Schwartz did the same thing in Detroit and Buffalo, so he's ideologically fixed and likely not going to do anything different for the superbowl. What we've done in the past, in Detroit and Buffalo is just to avoid the DL as much as possible, and I expect us to copy from those game plans.

The weaknesses to his wide 9 philosophy are runs up the middle (expect a good dose of Lewis draws) undue pressure on the LB corp to both stop the run and play zone, especially when they drop into a deep zone to spy the crosses (look for us to run option routes with one or more RBs).

We really need Gronk to play, in order to create mismatches on a consistent basis. But more importantly, he'll likely draw Jenkins in coverage. Jenkins is the reason why Eagles can shift between a cover 1 and 3- he's a hybrid safety/LB. But if he's stuck on Gronk, the Eagles won't be able to shift coverages.

On paper, this is a win, but it all comes down to execution. It's all about the battle up front. If we win on the LOS, we win the game.

Another thing you brought up I'll piggy-back on is that the Jags played a fair amount of 9 wide looks (maybe not as wide but close) as well as stunts. They didn't do it as much as the Eagles of course but the Patriots got a long look at it.

The Jags and Eagles defenses are of course different but seeing something very similar just last week scheme wise will help.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
I bet they put cooks in the slot running Edelman routes. Just because we’ve not seen that

agreed. malcolm
jenkins is in for a rude awakening

The "must try to handle Gronkowski" aspect of game-planning is totally obvious for any defense. They have to account for him, part of which is fully understanding the ways he's beaten other teams' coverage schemes.

Also, last time the Patriots faced Jenkins, Pats were the ones facing the rude awakening... Kind of a strange guy for you to talk smack about

God, I love this stuff. The only negative is that it takes a couple of hours to get thru it. But I have a couple of thoughts.

Pats offense:

1. The more I see about the Philly defense, the more I'm convinced that the Pats will EVENTUALLY solve whatever they have to bring at them.

2. The Eagles have great DL depth but their greatest value is their ability to stop the run. Against the pass, not so much. They actually had fewer sacks than the Pats in the regular season, and have only 4 during the postseason, compared to the 11 the Pats have in 2 games. So while I wouldn't be surprised to see 2-3 sacks in this game, it won't be enough to derail this offense over 60 minutes and 70 odd plays.

3. The Pats have shown over many years that they are NOT going to bang their heads against the wall. Kollman's excellent breakdown of the Seattle win provides some great insight on where that defense breaks down. Now the Seattle offense couldn't be more different than what the Pats run, but the concepts he points out are spot on, in any offense. Plus the Pats have a better OL and skill players than Seattle, although Brady is never going to emulate what Wilson can do as a run threat.

4. Schwartz's defense is predicated on stopping the run (like most defenses are) and providing enough pressure to protect a decent, but not great secondary. I would expect (as usual) whatever Schwartz had dialed up will be effective.....early. Then like EVERY good defense the Pats have played, they will eventually figure it out and start to move the ball on a consistent basis.

5. Rub routes, double moves, getting our RB's out on their LB's will all be part of Josh's equation when it all comes together. 20 rushes should be the max in this game if it's close, anything more would indicate the Pats are running away with it.

Pats Defense.

1. How to defend the RPO -

a. This is NOT a true triple option. Until proven otherwise the QB is NOT a run threat. So now it's a RB run or pass. The simple concept is to get the LB sucked up into the run and throw easy passes behind them. IF the run is wide open then simply give the RB the ball.

Now back in the old triple option days of the 80's that happened right at the LOS. Here the mesh is happening out of the shotgun 3-4 yds behind the LOS. That's an acute advantage to a well-prepared defense. The OL has to hold their blocks longer. So if we don't get into situations where the D gets outnumbered on one side or the other, we SHOULD be OK. Think back to the Titans game where we had the numbers advantage on the short side and ran Lewis there successfully 3 or 4 times until they finally adjusted. We don't want that happening to us.

Now here's where the creativity happens. First, you recognize that the LB ARE going to get sucked up and be of little help in coverage. But given the import of stopping the run, that HAS to be the case. But that STILL leaves you with 5 guys to defend 4 receivers. Fortunately, we are blessed with 5 guys who are good at that, since THEY are the strength of our Defense.

The other thing you can do is bait your QB into making the wrong read, by predetermining pass and hope that's what he does. This is already too long but you can stem your DL or run blitz with one LB while putting the other in coverage. Many other ways to do it, but all have risk attached to it, like any well timed stunt.

b. Stop the "big play". Their win over the Vikings was filled with big plays. Against the Falcon's, not so much. You do this by NOT doing what the Vikings did all game. You tackle well, and you don't get beat SOO badly by double moves. It's OK to give a guy a step or 2 and catch up, but the Vikings DB's got beat by 5-10 yds.

c. The key to the Philly offense is their OL. They've got 2 legit all pros on the left side and their C probably SHOULD have been an all pro. And like we have been saying our DL and LB's aren't going to make many all AFCE teams. ;), let alone any all-league teams. To combat this you have to recognize this imbalance and move to protect it. Just like you add a RB or TE to chip a great pass rusher, you have to do some things to protect against 3 great OLmen.

Now if I'm the Eagles, when I run the ball, THAT's where I'm running it. Right to my 2 all pro's. To defend it you might slant to the all pro side. There are run blitzes that can make it tough even for all pros to attack. Most of all you have to play very solid and fundamental football against a really good OL.

IF the Pats hold the Eagles under 100 yds rushing, then they will run away with this game. They don't have to shut them down. Just not let them run wild.

c. I expect Foles to be better than he was vs the Falcons, but not as good as that game againt the Vikes. 17-24 points would seem to be a reasonable expectation from this defense

If this game goes the way I hope, the MOST the Eagles will score is 24, while the LEAST the Pats will score is 24. Well if that's the case, then I'll take my chances for a positive result.

Last edited:
I bet they put cooks in the slot running Edelman routes. Just because we’ve not seen that

they did move cooks to the inside on Bradys first pass of the jags game, which got him on a linebacker for a 30+ yard game.

from what I have read, the eagles don't rotate their corners much. So you could move cooks around and hopefully get a good matchup.

I have a lot of respect for the eagles. I also have a lot of respect for Belichick having 2 weeks to breakdown the RPO inside and out. Take away the run and force Foles to sling it, rely on our disciplined scheme to confuse Foles a few times. Patriots are way overdue to force a turnover or 2

Is it me or is the eagles defensive line overrated? They have 4 sacks in the playoffs and were ranked 15th in the league in sacks during the regular season. I’m not saying they are bad, but I think NE has faced better defensive fronts before. Jacksonville had more sacks, INTs and forced fumbles.

The Vikings game turned on a non-sack pressure that led to a pick-6

This is what makes the Patriots so hard to beat. They are well-prepared because they practice every single imaginable football scenario under the sun.

This is what makes the Patriots so hard to beat. They are well-prepared because they practice every single imaginable football scenario under the sun.

well, it would be nice to see it in a live game...they just don't take it away

That drill was done a couple of years ago when Mayo was still playing. Hopefully Matty P used it this week because creating TO's has been a problem this entire season. The Pats plus-minus hasn't bee horrible because the offense turns the ball over so rarely. But the fact is that this defense is NOT one that turns the ball over very much. Turning that stat around in the final game of the season would clearly be a big help.

If the defense or ST's creates just 2 TO's then the Pats definitely win this game, and that assumes the Pats give it up once.

What’s the best way to gameplan against the RPO? I assume Bill is going to take away their running game and force Foles to pass the ball.

The Patriots need to absolutely smash Foles every time he gets out on the option. You’re allowed to do that. He gets outside the pocket, light him up (legally, of course). I wonder if this will be a contest where we see a ton of Big Nickel? Or at least more than what we’ve seen this season?

Last edited:
What’s the best way to gameplan against the RPO? I assume Bill is going to take away their running game and force Foles to pass the ball.

Changing schemes.

IMO jags athletic linebackers posed more of a problem than their Dline in the game to screw up our offense. Pats consistently went with the short passes/screens to Lewis. and their Linebackers tackled lewis like I have never seen before putting the pats in poor down/distance situations.

interesting in that article that Foles has the worst QB-rating of all Quarterbacks when under pressure at 7.6

This. To me personally, I think Jags defense was the toughest defense we've faced all season and is better than Philly's defense to me. As long as the O-line plays lights out like they did in the AFCCG, Tom will be protected. Eagles don't really generate many sacks as well. I see Brady chewing this defense up honestly, all game.

The Vikings game turned on a non-sack pressure that led to a pick-6

Yup. The Eagles D line is legit. Go watch the Atlanta game. The Philly D was in Ryans face all day. They might not have the sacks but they are getting solid pressure. I have watched many of the Eagles games and they are solid. What the Eagles are hopping is that Brady will trow a ball up from the pressure - basically like his first INT from the Seahawks SB.

The Patriots need to absolutely smash Foles every time he gets out on the option. You’re allowed to do that. He gets outside the pocket, light him up (legally, of course). I wonder if this will be a contest where we see a ton of Big Nickel? Or at least more than what we’ve seen this season?

I wonder what they can do to encourage him to keep the ball and run. Might have to give him one or two before bringing the hammer down.

I honestly don't know too much about defensive schemes, but what are the chances we see the Eagles try to mimic what Atlanta did last year (and Miami did this year in the 2nd game) by playing some cover 1 robber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes