PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats and accountability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommysgirl

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
This probably didn't need it's own thread, so if the mods want to move it..please do.

I've been thinking about how proud I am of the Pats and how they always take accountability for their actions. In the wake of Spygate, BB's critics have been calling for him to answer all of their questions. He is supposed to sit with the very reporters who villify him for his clothing choices, and be grilled about the intricacies of coaching football, something of which they know nothing about?

In watching the idiot that is Clemens, I'm more proud than ever of the way he handled things. He admitted it, complied with Goodell, apologized and moved on. He didn't hold press conferences, he didn't tape secret phone calls with Mangini and he certainly didn't act like he is better than everyone and how dare you question him. To me, he was, quite visibly humbled and shaken by the whole thing. To watch they way this group of very good men rallied around him should say enough about what a wonderful man this really is.

When Rodney was caught with HGH, he immediately admitted it and apologized. Conversely, Merriman denied it and said he would sue people. How's that working out?

We've been flooded with trolls and their cheater chants and I refuse to let it get to me anymore. Nobody knows what goes on in the NFL unless you are a part of the circle and I'm pretty sure nobody typing on a message board is. I'm proud of this team, and these men. Nobody is perfect, everyone makes mistakes. Stepping up and taking personal responsibility for your actions is and admirable quality and at every turn, these men have done it.

People want to point out that children watch this, what are we supposed to say..cheat to win? I try to teach my children to be good men, to always be responsible. I think that these transgressions reinforce how to get up when you're kicked down, don't hide from your mistakes and don't point out others problems to make yourself look and feel better.

Maybe I'm wrong and a complete homer, just how I feel. Sorry for the long babble. Just wanted to get it off my chest instead of calling the next 15 trolls asshats.

Belichick was forced to admit videotaping the Jets. He was forced to comply with Goodell's requests and he was forced to apologize. Let's not rewrite history for a good narrative.

Nobody knows what goes on in the NFL unless you are a part of the circle and I'm pretty sure nobody typing on a message board is.

Well said. One of my peeves is when people think they know all about people's motivations, intentions, character, etc., when really all they know is a very limited slice of reality that they get filtered through the media. This is definitely true for Belichick, Brady, and the Pats, but you also see it in fans of all stripes, in all kinds of situations. I think we all would be wise to heed your words.

Belichick was forced to admit videotaping the Jets. He was forced to comply with Goodell's requests and he was forced to apologize. Let's not rewrite history for a good narrative.

You don't think he could have gone the Clemens route and thrown a tantrum and threw everyone under the bus along the way?

Well, BB wasn't that accountable for his actions. He came out and said, "We misinterpreted the rule". If you believe that then you need to see a doctor to get your lips removed from BB butt.

But, enough about that. I think that part of the Pats success is due to their accountability...but I think their depth is the main reason (outside of Tom Brady) they've been successful.

While I agree with the admission and compliance portions of your comment, I don't agree with the apology statement. You can find plenty of forced apologies for public relations purposes in the news that fall far short of an actual apology ("regrettable" tends to be a good pseudo-apology).

It just was not a situation to be proud of, other than the fact that if Belichick could have ratted out others to share the limelight with him and didn't, that is somewhat honorable. In the end, it was an arrogant move on his part (I have never taken issue with the 'cheating' slams because a full read of the facts and available alternatives would only allow those with the IQs of monkeys to believe a competitive advantage was gained by the tactic - try the alternative explanation of a stubborn coach thinking a rule is stupid and blatantly continuing old practices), and the team paid a price for it. It's done, it's over with, and I enjoy the game.

I think Clemens' way is obviously highly flawed. But .....

Clemens is accused of breaking the law. He's facing the congress, possibly a grand jury, and possibly jail time. People forget that taping coaches is approved in the NFL, and taping from the unapproved location is like littering in comparison with a felony.

I think the drug laws are wrong, but that's another story.

I'm disappointed that Bill didn't do a bit more thorough job of describing the situation. When you say as little as possible you get the benefit or not hanging yourself, but you also leave obvious issues open to criticism. He left it open to plenty of the latter.

Also, when you say as little as possible, it's perceived by many as being stonewalling. Then the commisioner burns the tapes.

We all know that it was just Bill being Bill. Bill never says squat about anything - even good things and happy things. To get the guy to open up is like trying to get a clam to open for the fryer. It just doesn't happen. That is Bill. Well, we know that but the rest of the world doesn't. Joe Sixpack in Okie just sees Bill saying nothing about a big deal and concludes, "the sum***** is stonewalling".

And in a way he was. In a way Bill is a stone wall.

Personally, I want Bill to be a good coach here, not a media maven who wows them with his jokes. For one thing I don't think a person's (speaking of politicians and priests) public face means squat. I do not rely on that to determine whether they are "good" people or not. I rely on what they do outside of their professional lives to determine that.

So far I really don't have any concerns about Bill being any more abusive or an ahole at home than anybody else around here. So far he is what he is - pretty buttoned up and lacking grace and decor around microphones. I accept that limitation, and I really don't care about it. I want a coach. Period.

The rest of the world is not thinking like me. They want information. All I can say to them is that their logic that his lack of information indicates more evil and wrongdoing is just flat out wrong. The reality is that it's the way he is 24 and 7 even with the good news. The man is a flat liner in front of a microphone but he's a damned good football coach. I'll take that package any day.

I think what spygate did for me as a fan is force me to look at other teams with a more open mind. To me, spygate was a media driven witchhunt, a great story for them to print with exagerated headlines and claims of tarnished reputations. Juicy stuff.

Until now, anytime an athlete was caught breaking the law, or a team was accused of doing something underhanded or questionable, I was quick to jump on them. Now, due to some fanhood humbling, I try my best to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I think it's something all fans should try to do... don't jump to conclusions and try to see things from another team or fan's perspective.

That being said, I still think Polian is scum ;)

To watch they way this group of very good men rallied around him should say enough about what a wonderful man this really is.
I understand exactly how you feel, and this statement has a lot of credibility. The media banks on getting more out of something that in many cases is really quite simple. When they can't get someone to openly reveal personal feelings or publicly grovel for some perceived indiscretion, that person is usually vilified. This happens particularly to those who have discipline and like to keep personal things personal. This reality show society has spawned a media looking for "true confessions" at every turn. When a person doesn't "put out" for the media, that person then has to withstand the self-serving, negative media reactions that follow simply because the person chose to keep it personal.

Last edited:

Belichick, just like every one of us, decides how he's going to act every day. That was the point.

He chose not to deny, but rather to admit.
He chose to apologize.
He chose to accept the penalties without complaint.

Now, he didn't bare his soul or reveal how he really felt about it (like Hillary did on Monday); perhaps if he had then more people would have felt some compassion towards him. But I do agree with TommysGirl that BB made a number of choices on how to respond to this that are worthy of our consideration and respect.

Belichick, just like every one of us, decides how he's going to act every day. That was the point.

He chose not to deny, but rather to admit.
He chose to apologize.
He chose to accept the penalties without complaint.

Now, he didn't bare his soul or reveal how he really felt about it (like Hillary did on Monday); perhaps if he had then more people would have felt some compassion towards him. But I do agree with TommysGirl that BB made a number of choices on how to respond to this that are worthy of our consideration and respect.

I completely disagree. If Bill Belichick had his way, he would never have apologized to anyone for his "misinterpretation of the rules" and he certainly wouldn't have admitted to doing anything inappropriate. He had no choice but to accept the penalties set forth by the league because he he works for Bob Kraft and Kraft was not going to jeopardize his franchise by picking a fight with the commissioner.

The bottom line is that Bill Belichick did what he was told. Nothing more; nothing less.

I'm damn proud too TG...it's wierd the way it's all worked out. Spygate gave the Patriots the opportunity to once again claim "It's us against the world". Almost like BB couldn't have planned it any better;)

In some ways, I'm glad it happened!

Last edited:
I wonder how it would have gone down with Kraft if he knew that the Commisioner was going to bury any subsequent rules violations by other teams under the rug starting with the leak of the tape to Fox TV.

I completely disagree. If Bill Belichick had his way, he would never have apologized to anyone for his "misinterpretation of the rules" and he certainly wouldn't have admitted to doing anything inappropriate.

Well, that's your speculation. I was responding to what he actually did.

The bottom line is that Bill Belichick did what he was told. Nothing more; nothing less.

That, again, is your speculation. I don't know what he was told vs. what he decided on your own - and neither do you.

I stand behind the facts as I outlined them earlier and my opinion that BB did behave significantly more honorably than many in similar circumstances.

Well, BB wasn't that accountable for his actions. He came out and said, "We misinterpreted the rule". If you believe that then you need to see a doctor to get your lips removed from BB butt.

Did you read the rule that allegedly was misinterpreted? I did, and see an arguable point for BB's claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore