PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots second in dropped passes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could it be PI wasn't called against Welker because he was within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage? What are the rules on that?

Your allowed to "jam" the receiver within 5 yards not tackle him. This would fall under illegal contact even within 5 yards.

Usually ignore stats but I like this one. Room for improvement as BB can rag on (1) the receivers for concentration (2) the QB for accuracy (make 'em easier to catch) and (2) the OL (too many hurries). Life is Hell for a Pats player.

So much for the Pats being ranked first in every category. d%#*!@t!

Seriously, we've all seen some key drops, so I'm not surprised to see this stat. There are a lot of new and young receivers that are still getting used to life in the NFL and/or with TFB. This is a stat I expect to see improve.

Usually ignore stats but I like this one. Room for improvement as BB can rag on (1) the receivers for concentration (2) the QB for accuracy (make 'em easier to catch) and (2) the OL (too many hurries). Life is Hell for a Pats player.

I agree most stats in football are meaningless to a certain degree, but dropped passes and turnover margin are two of the few that have real meaning.

I am positive BB is making sure the position coach is harping on this with guys.

Your allowed to "jam" the receiver within 5 yards not tackle him. This would fall under illegal contact even within 5 yards.

You can't tackle or hit the guy when the ball is in the air. Even if it's within 5 yrds of the line of scrimmage. I think it was past 5. And, should have been PI. I think the Crumpler drop was a big one too. We were moving the ball late in 1st half against Baltimore and he dropped a 3rd down pass that would have extended the drive. Drop on 1st and 10 isn't good. One on 3rd and 4 is the one that really hurts.

Have to see how they count that ... brady throws a fair amount of balls down around knee level that only our guy can catch.

LOL - So that is why my man Danny Woodhead has such a high percentage of catches? He doesn't have to bend down so far? Love it!

Last edited:
I'm thinking now perhaps it's the perfect spiral thing ... maybe if Tom's ball had some wobble to it that might help. ;)

I have no idea if any of them have been dropped, but I can recall a few times TFB throwing a ball seemingly 500mph at a receiver which I would guess would be a bit harder to keep control of!

So much for the Pats being ranked first in every category. d%#*!@t!

Seriously, we've all seen some key drops, so I'm not surprised to see this stat. There are a lot of new and young receivers that are still getting used to life in the NFL and/or with TFB. This is a stat I expect to see improve.

Truth! With how young our team is, I don't care how bad certain stats are as long as 1) they improve throughout the year and 2) we keep winning!

Random thought: anybody got the numbers on how many passes were dropped in 1995? I seem to recall it being pretty painful.

LOL - So that is why my man Danny Woodhead has such a high percentage of catches? He doesn't have to bend down so far? Love it!

The cornerback has to bend down....it is still a jump ball for Danny.

I'm not too worried about this ranking, for now:
The team "leader" in drops is gone;
As Welker gets healthier & adjusts to life without the Ratio, I feel that he'll learn which routes put him in better pass-catching positions than others, and will use them accordingly;
As long as Branch stays healthy, he'll catch almost everything;
The rookie TEs, Tate, Woody & Edelman should only improve with more experience;
And Crumpler, as long as he doesn't have to run too much while waiting for the ball, should be OK too.

My prediction: 30 or less drops by season's end.

I'm not too worried about this ranking, for now:
The team "leader" in drops is gone;
As Welker gets healthier & adjusts to life without the Ratio, I feel that he'll learn which routes put him in better pass-catching positions than others, and will use them accordingly;
As long as Branch stays healthy, he'll catch almost everything;
The rookie TEs, Tate, Woody & Edelman should only improve with more experience;
And Crumpler, as long as he doesn't have to run too much while waiting for the ball, should be OK too.

My prediction: 30 or less drops by season's end.

After today's performance, can't blame all of this on Moss. We must have had at least 4 more drops today.

The worst of those drops was Tate's. The throw wasn't perfect (no surprise),
but the ball hit him right in the numbers, even if it wasn't in stride.

Except for one play that resulted from a broken coverage, Tate has been extremely disappointing,
or should I say disappearing?

Last edited:
The worst of those drops was Tate's. The throw wasn't perfect (no surprise),
but the ball hit him right in the numbers, even if it wasn't in stride.

Except for one play that resulted from a broken coverage, Tate has been extremely disappointing, or should I say disappearing?

I have hoped for more from Tate, but I'm trying to bear in mind that this is basically his rookie season. I'd like to see more from him though. That was a big drop.

Patriots 2nd in NFL in dropped passes - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

According to ESPN stats, the Pats have 18 drops, well ahead of the 12.4 league average. Only the Lions are ahead of us with 22 drops.

Moss had 5 while he was here, but Welker also has 5, another sign that he's not exactly 100%.

Brady's completion percentage is just over 65%, which is pretty good. But if the Pats had only 12 drops, league average, he'd be at 68%.

Hernandez had a few big drops late against the Ravens, but fortunately we were able to recover and pull that game out. But as we return to the old school style of Patriots football, where we play smarter and don't beat ourselves, we need to get better in this area.

Um I dont see this as a appropriate post convertedpatsfan, because were probably #1,lol

Last edited:
Um I dont see this as a appropriate post convertedpatsfan, because were probably #1,lol

Actually, it felt like we were first. Thank goodness for the Lions! ;)

Football | NFL | Leaders - Pass Dropped - washingtonpost.com

Wes Welker leads the league with 13 after 3 drops in the Buffalo game. He's targeted a lot more than many other receivers, but it's still a lot compared to his usual self. Here's what FootballOutsiders wrote about it:

But Welker had three drops in this game, bringing him up to 13 on the season, leading the NFL. What is interesting, though not entirely illogical, is that Welker has always had more drops than people might think. In 2008 he had eight, in ‘09 he notched six. Not only has he dropped more passes this season, but he’s dropping a significantly larger proportion of passes. He dropped 5.7% of targets in 2008, 3.9% in ‘09, but this season he has dropped 11.0% of his targets. That doesn’t sound like a massive figure, but it tops guys like Brandon Marshall (9.3%) and Braylon Edwards (4.7%) on the season, and though it’s not really a concern for the Patriots or their fans, it’s worth mentioning.

Sam Monson: Reflections from the Bills-Patriots press box | ProFootballFocus.com

It's improved a bit. I believe him and Moss had 7 each at the time of the Moss trade, so the majority of the drops were early on. With 3 of the other 6 drops in the Bills game, he went a stretch of 10 games with only 3 drops. I'd expect him to bear down a bit more this week in practice to correct it. Not really concerned about it, but something to keep an eye on moving forward.

Football | NFL | Leaders - Pass Dropped - washingtonpost.com

Wes Welker leads the league with 13 after 3 drops in the Buffalo game. He's targeted a lot more than many other receivers, but it's still a lot compared to his usual self. Here's what FootballOutsiders wrote about it:

But Welker had three drops in this game, bringing him up to 13 on the season, leading the NFL. What is interesting, though not entirely illogical, is that Welker has always had more drops than people might think. In 2008 he had eight, in ‘09 he notched six. Not only has he dropped more passes this season, but he’s dropping a significantly larger proportion of passes. He dropped 5.7% of targets in 2008, 3.9% in ‘09, but this season he has dropped 11.0% of his targets. That doesn’t sound like a massive figure, but it tops guys like Brandon Marshall (9.3%) and Braylon Edwards (4.7%) on the season, and though it’s not really a concern for the Patriots or their fans, it’s worth mentioning.

Sam Monson: Reflections from the Bills-Patriots press box | ProFootballFocus.com

It's improved a bit. I believe him and Moss had 7 each at the time of the Moss trade, so the majority of the drops were early on. With 3 of the other 6 drops in the Bills game, he went a stretch of 10 games with only 3 drops. I'd expect him to bear down a bit more this week in practice to correct it. Not really concerned about it, but something to keep an eye on moving forward.

Good bump. Wes does drop a few passes now and then but I don't consider him the second coming of Vincent Brisby by any means.

This year I attribute to a few of the drops to him maybe thinking about the knee a little. He also takes a beating going over the middle (as opposed to outside the hashes) so that can sometimes be on the receiver's mind.

When you are talking tighter coverage, you are going to have more dropped passes. The only numbers that count are the final game score. As BB says....stats are for losers ......

I hope the trend doesn't continue with Welker......Brady depends on Wes alot for those slants for first downs.....basically and extension of the Pats running game.....

Branch, Gronk and Hernandez are the big yardage guys......and Tate is usually a decoy.....altho his speed gives Brady a downfield shot every now and then....

When you are talking tighter coverage, you are going to have more dropped passes. The only numbers that count are the final game score. As BB says....stats are for losers ......

I find that quote from BB misinterpreted a lot. It's clear BB cares about certain statistics, just not individual stats.

12. Belichick famously dropped the "stats are for losers" line last season, but Tuesday, he went through the list of stats that were truly important to him. Not surprisingly, it started with victories, then went to points "because that correlates to winning." And then it went to red-zone efficiency, big plays and third-down efficiency. "The [statistics] that correlate the highest to winning," Belichick said, "you still have to consider them as the most important."

Bill Belichick Explains Which Stats Aren't for Losers and 19 Other Thoughts - Patriots Two-Minute Drill - NESN.com

The drops are significant because they can kill drives. Two of those drops were back-to-back, stalling a promising drive which ended in 3 points instead of 7. It's not the most significant figure, but I am pretty sure it'll come up when they're going over the film because they're mental mistakes, and there's no way BB accepts that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes