Patriots second in dropped passes

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Patriots 2nd in NFL in dropped passes - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

According to ESPN stats, the Pats have 18 drops, well ahead of the 12.4 league average. Only the Lions are ahead of us with 22 drops.

Moss had 5 while he was here, but Welker also has 5, another sign that he's not exactly 100%.

Brady's completion percentage is just over 65%, which is pretty good. But if the Pats had only 12 drops, league average, he'd be at 68%.

Hernandez had a few big drops late against the Ravens, but fortunately we were able to recover and pull that game out. But as we return to the old school style of Patriots football, where we play smarter and don't beat ourselves, we need to get better in this area.

Last edited:
Randy Moss stop dropping our passes!

So on a per game basis (or for that matter on a per target basis) the worst dropping WR for the Patriots is a Titan. Sweet.

Have to see how they count that ... brady throws a fair amount of balls down around knee level that only our guy can catch.

Have to see how they count that ... brady throws a fair amount of balls down around knee level that only our guy can catch.

True, and drops is a subjective "stat" much like errors in baseball. It's a judgment call on whether a player should have made a play or not.

But they have Hernandez down for 3 drops, and I remember 2 of them against Baltimore. They have Faulk down for 2 drops, and I remember 2 passes that were clear drops. There may have been one or two others that didn't get recorded. So while it may not be 100% accurate, I don't think it's fairly accurate.

Patriots 2nd in NFL in dropped passes - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

According to ESPN stats, the Pats have 18 drops, well ahead of the 12.4 league average. Only the Lions are ahead of us with 22 drops.

Moss had 5 while he was here, but Welker also has 5, another sign that he's not exactly 100%.

Brady's completion percentage is just over 65%, which is pretty good. But if the Pats had only 12 drops, league average, he'd be at 68%.

Hernandez had a few big drops late against the Ravens, but fortunately we were able to recover and pull that game out. But as we return to the old school style of Patriots football, where we play smarter and don't beat ourselves, we need to get better in this area.

If our offensive line was worth a damn he would be at 71%. I hate using drops as an excuse but you sum it up with this topic, it needs improvement second half.

If our offensive line was worth a damn he would be at 71%. I hate using drops as an excuse but you sum it up with this topic, it needs improvement second half.

If you consider our o-line bad then I would love to hear your opinion on the Bears o-line.

The line has struggled at times, no doubt. I worry about Koppen. Light has been inconsistent. He had a great game against the Vikings and a premiere pass rusher in Jared Allen, but looked awful against San Diego. And Vollmer looks a bit lazy in his technique at times. But overall, they've been pretty good, not great.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2010 OFFENSIVE LINES has some rankings of OLs and they have the Pats as a top-4 OL for the running game, though we're ranked a lot worse in terms of yards at the second level and open field. This suggests that while the OL has done well initially with the blocking, they're not as consistent getting downfield for blocks. They also have us ranked 12th in pass protection.

The Faulk drop was one instance where Brady unloaded a bit high because of pressure and Faulk wasn't able to come down with it. Totally catchable ball, but not perfect because of the pressure despite being a really short pass.

But even if we were #1 in all areas, BB would say we have lots to work on. The good news is we are 6-1 and have a lot of areas we can improve on, Dante's one of the best in the business, and we have Mankins back. I expect the OL to improve. And I think the receivers will also do better. Heck, they can't really do much worse. :p

Last edited:
The first thing that comes to mind are those 2 dropped passes by Hernandez in OT vs the Ravens.:bricks:

True, and drops is a subjective "stat" much like errors in baseball. It's a judgment call on whether a player should have made a play or not.

But they have Hernandez down for 3 drops, and I remember 2 of them against Baltimore. They have Faulk down for 2 drops, and I remember 2 passes that were clear drops. There may have been one or two others that didn't get recorded. So while it may not be 100% accurate, I don't think it's fairly accurate.

I'm thinking now perhaps it's the perfect spiral thing ... maybe if Tom's ball had some wobble to it that might help. ;)

Crumpet and Gronky have dropped a couple

wait, the O-line is responsible for a WR dropping the ball???? :wha:

Does that include uncalled pass interference calls?

probably not, being that those PIs never really happened. Afterall, holding and tackling Welker before the ball arrives, is apparantly ok :rolleyes:

So far, the officials have been making bad decisions against both teams. That wont last. Sooner or later we're going to lose a close one because of some non call. My money is on a Welker PI. :bricks:

Ah but the opposite is probably good; I suspect that teams that play the Patriots have a large number of drops...because of the hard hitting that is being administered by the Patriots defense...

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2010 OFFENSIVE LINES has some rankings of OLs and they have the Pats as a top-4 OL for the running game, though we're ranked a lot worse in terms of yards at the second level and open field. This suggests that while the OL has done well initially with the blocking, they're not as consistent getting downfield for blocks. They also have us ranked 12th in pass protection.

Actually that suggests the O-line is doing great in alll phases of the run game. Yards at second level and open field collectively rank the blocking abilities of our wide receivers and the speed of our running backs. Our featured running backs can't blow the top off the defense and our small receivers can't crack.

If you consider our o-line bad then I would love to hear your opinion on the Bears o-line.

Just because it isn't as bad doesn't mean we should accept it, why do people here have a problem with criticism of the team like we are perfect? I think it is one of our weak spots but that's just like my opinion man.

This suggests that while the OL has done well initially with the blocking, they're not as consistent getting downfield for blocks.

Yea I notice, it would be awesome to have a line like the Giants who get downfield for their run and screen plays. Speaking of which why do we not run as many screens anymore? With a guy like Woody we can use that more often.

Just because it isn't as bad doesn't mean we should accept it, why do people here have a problem with criticism of the team like we are perfect? I think it is one of our weak spots but that's just like my opinion man.

People are perfectly fine with reasonable criticism. Your criticism started off as "if our OL was worth a damn". That is NOT criticism, that is gross exaggeration at BEST.

Could it be PI wasn't called against Welker because he was within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage? What are the rules on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes