PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Joint Training Camp Practice With Jax, Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahha. "Look at me dolts" is officially added to my vocab.

Good stuff Steve.

Question: I understand that there are pre snap and post snap route running decisions receiver/Brady make but does Cooks's speed throw a wrench into that decision process?

For example, and I'm completely winging it here, the receiver runs a fly route down the sideline.

Typically the receiver should decide to switch to a comeback route or to continue with the fly route depending on the position or coverage of the DB.

If Cooks thinks "I can get past him" and Brady thinks the DB is too far over the top, would that be an issue that Cooks' speed could cause? I hope that makes sense.

Side note: This will be the first game I'm watching cable free. HD antenna is tuned and ready to go.

Have to wonder what people are seeing when they praise Jacoby Brissett and claim that he's going to be the QB of the future?

Aside from changing the offense, which obviously isn't going to happen, I just can't see it. Maybe he looks better next summer. Any way you look at it, I'm glad they hung onto Garoppolo, at least through this year.

Last edited:
With all of the talk of difficult cuts that will be made, Brandon Bolden may prove to be the toughest one. That said, I still think it's 50/50, and that he could end up with a ST only spot. I realize that most wouldn't give him those odds. He isn't really any more of a RB than Slater is a WR, having only seen one carry last year. I think his real competition will be for one of the ST only spots, so we may as well start discussing that as opposed to the RB position.

With Ninkovich's retirement, I think it's safe to say that both McClellin and Van Noy will be staying. A strong argument could have been made that they would both remain, even with Nink staying, but both had been mentioned throughout the offseason as potential cuts.

I think the idea that Belichick sees something in Langi has definitely been solidified. He will be an interesting player to watch in the preseason.

I agree with you in regards to JB's development. He's not there yet. But I've watched all of his film and he has and "it" factor that I can't ignore. The reports of his development thus far have been disappointing but I'll wait until I see him in action during the preseason before offering my assessment.

To be honest JG's reports haven't been great either but I will wait to see what he shows during the preseason as well.

Let's hope that this OL is up to the task of giving Brady the time in the pocket that he needs to complete all of these long passes to Cooks.

Let's hope that this OL is up to the task of giving Brady the time in the pocket that he needs to complete all of these long passes to Cooks.

Agreed, and my hope is that the task of giving Brady time is helped by a strong running game this year, with versatile running backs that aren't telegraphing "RUN" or "PASS" as has often been the case in the past. Wouldn't it be great if defensive lines playing the Patriots actually have to defend the run this year, and better yet had to guess on whether it was a run or pass on every play. THAT could really set up some long passes to Cook and Hogan. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back