PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots have only won/reached the SB with a bye Narrative

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots, by virtue of their success, have played literally an entire season's worth more games over the last two decades than other teams. That they have not been worn down mentally and physically is a major testament to the team's work ethic, focus, character and attention to detail.

Belichick focuses on the game at hand. Period. Not dwelling on the past. Not distracted by the future.

It's no accident they usually earn a first round bye. It's the goal at the start of the season.

Advancing a whole round without even having to play

Actually they've played two and a half extra seasons in that time period, 40 games. The Colts and Steelers are second playing in 25 games or one and a half seasons plus a game. So they've played an entire extra season more than the best teams in this time period. They've played the full extra 2.5 seasons compared to the Browns. Average is just under 2 seasons.

The last Patriots game I attended was that 1978 1st round playoff loss to Houston. I remember the disappointment, the shock of Fairbanks departure, and the very cold aluminum bench seats in Schaefer Stadium.
What a sad couple of weeks after clinching the AFC East.

Maybe Chuck thought it wouldn't be a big deal if people found out.

Or maybe more likely he thought it wouldn't come out.

Like Belichick, Fairbanks was brilliant, innovative - and eccentric, a bit arrogant. The guy built a great team here. He figured it's his life, and he can do what he wants.

He'd certainly had enough of Billy. But, later in his life, he said he shouldn't have left New England. There are just too many wonderful people connected to the team and the community. It's no coincidence that tons of sports figures say the best years of their careers were spent right here. Nevermind ownership and the media.

Actually they've played two and a half extra seasons in that time period, 40 games. The Colts and Steelers are second playing in 25 games or one and a half seasons plus a game. So they've played an entire extra season more than the best teams in this time period. They've played the full extra 2.5 seasons compared to the Browns. Average is just under 2 seasons.
That's a lot of football.

My go to line with the Montana is 4-0 in Superbowls is "How did he do in his 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th Superbowls?"

My go to line with the Montana is 4-0 in Superbowls is "How did he do in his 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th Superbowls?"

now there’s a mic drop

He's 4-2 in Conference title games. His last game as a Niner was the 1990 Conf. Championship where he got knocked out.

Kansas City too....

Can someone please link to anyone claiming the Patriots success isn’t as impressive because they haven’t done it without needing a bye week?

Because I’ve literally never heard anyone say that, and yet we’re on page 3 of people getting really stressed out about it and arguing the opposite side.

I’m confused about the premise... when the (BB/Brady) Pats have not had the bye they’ve never made it to the SB.

So what is in dispute?
I think it’s kinda a silly narrative in the sense that the bye was a huge difference vs the non bye teams just not being that good.

The great teams get the byes, the not so great teams don’t. 2009 team goes nowhere with or without the bye.

That’s not to say the bye isn’t huge, but you can’t ignore that our worst teams weren’t good enough to get a bye. Aside from 2006 that was in a stacked AFC.

I’m confused about the premise... when the (BB/Brady) Pats have not had the bye they’ve never made it to the SB.

So what is in dispute?
It sounds more like a basic fact than a “narrative.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes