PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots defense going into the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
There is one game left but there are some things to talk about when it comes to think unit. Here are the main issues I want to hit on.

#1 Chung - One of the most underrated and key players to this D in 2nd run of SBs has clearly started to show some signs of falling off. His play this year has simply not been up to par with what we have come to expect. I feel like teams have keyed in on him as the weakness to our secondary. That being said I find myself unsure what they can do to fix it. Their run D has been subpar and taking him off the field will only make it worse most likely. I wonder if Harmon even could fill the role of covering TEs better. This will be a key going forward.

#2 The Run D - Since the bye this part of the D has improved. Since the bye they allowed 81, 109, 52, 75, 162 and 92 yards. Yes they gave up 162 yards to the Bengals 57 of which was on their first offensive drive of the game for them during 8 run plays. After that they settled down a bit. While still having issues they managed to be competitive in the run game for the rest of that D while focusing on stopping the pass. Overall this has been a better effort since that 6 week stretch during weeks 4 to 9.

#3 Injuries at CB. Jason McCourty and Jon Jones being hurt sucks, but it hasn't really hurt them too much defensively IMO. Williams and Jackson have really stepped up their game. Hopefully they get healthy soon. They only truly bad defensive game they have had since the bye is Houston which had a lot of strange plays and LBs getting abused in space which we needs to fixed... Speaking of which

#4 LBs. The coaches need to figure out something when it comes to not letting Hightower and Van Noy be caught in open space. That's all there is to say.

There is one game left but there are some things to talk about when it comes to think unit. Here are the main issues I want to hit on.

#1 Chung - One of the most underrated and key players to this D in 2nd run of SBs has clearly started to show some signs of falling off. His play this year has simply not been up to par with what we have come to expect. I feel like teams have keyed in on him as the weakness to our secondary. That being said I find myself unsure what they can do to fix it. Their run D has been subpar and taking him off the field will only make it worse most likely. I wonder if Harmon even could fill the role of covering TEs better. This will be a key going forward.

#2 The Run D - Since the bye this part of the D has improved. Since the bye they allowed 81, 109, 52, 75, 162 and 92 yards. Yes they gave up 162 yards to the Bengals 57 of which was on their first offensive drive of the game for them during 8 run plays. After that they settled down a bit. While still having issues they managed to be competitive in the run game for the rest of that D while focusing on stopping the pass. Overall this has been a better effort since that 6 week stretch during weeks 4 to 9.

#3 Injuries at CB. Jason McCourty and Jon Jones being hurt sucks, but it hasn't really hurt them too much defensively IMO. Williams and Jackson have really stepped up their game. Hopefully they get healthy soon. They only truly bad defensive game they have had since the bye is Houston which had a lot of strange plays and LBs getting abused in space which we needs to fixed... Speaking of which

#4 LBs. The coaches need to figure out something when it comes to not letting Hightower and Van Noy be caught in open space. That's all there is to say.
Chung has been injured most of the year.

I trust both the players & coaches on d. As much as I did back in 03-04. They will need to take the lead if this team is to succeed. Here’s hoping they do.

How has Brooks looked in coverage?

Joejuan Williams

preseason: 201 snaps 12 targets 3 receptions 39.6 rating
regular season: 65 snaps 4 targets 2 receptions 67.7 rating

With the presence of Gilmore, Jackson & Jones past this season along with his size at 6'4" the team should consider grooming Williams at SS. They could sub him in for Chung on obvious passing downs.

Last edited:

Can you point out any specific plays that make you think he is falling off ?

They are 1.7 YPG away from being a top 5 run defense in terms of yards despite playing a lot of nickel. So while they might not be suffocating like against the pass I'd say that this is still one of the better units in the league.

#3 Injuries at CB. Jason McCourty and Jon Jones being hurt sucks, but it hasn't really hurt them too much defensively IMO. Williams and Jackson have really stepped up their game. Hopefully they get healthy soon.

Both JMac and JJones being injured at the same time is flying a bit under the radar but is actually a significant issue. We don't really have any consistent inside corners with those two out. Beasley had his way with JC Jackson yesterday. Playing on the inside, having short area quickness, being able to weave through traffic, being part of various blitz packages is a completely different skillset than outside where you can rely much more on your physical attributes.

That is really the entire league though. Not sure there is a way to eliminate it but hopefully they can minimize the times opponents find the right personnel matchups to give them this advantage.

I agree completely about Chung. He plays with a lot of heart, but he isn’t an x-factor in the secondary for us anymore. This role needs to be filled going forward. I was hoping Williams would develop by seasons end and take over for Chung, but it just hasn’t happened, or maybe it’s not even in the plans. I don’t know. As far as LB’s getting caught in space? Brahhhh, it’s BRUTAL!

How has Brooks looked in coverage?

As far as I can tell he has been fine there. A lot better than most of us thought he'd be. I feel comfortable with him being a depth option as opposed to the liability I was afraid he'd be.

That being said I wouldn't put him out there over other guys we have personally

Chung has really struggled. Jones recently before the injury as well.

Chung has really struggled. Jones recently before the injury as well.

People keep saying that and when you ask them for examples it is always crickets. Can you point to some plays where he struggled ? I can't even remember many times his responsibility was targeted.

People keep saying that and when you ask them for examples it is always crickets. Can you point to some plays where he struggled ? I can't even remember many times his responsibility was targeted.
Knox beat him 3-4 times yesterday that could have resulted in at least one more TD. Not the first time he's been beat by TEs this year just hasn't resulted in points.

Need Jason and JJ healthy.

Need Weeks 1 thru 8 Jamie

Like to see Cowart with some time.

Like to see Wise play smarter

Sorry, but I don't plan to go back through the film and find a bunch of plays where I think he hasn't played well. All I'll say is I'm not the only one who thinks that and PFF has a low grade on him this year if that is worth anything to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes