PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 2017/2018 Roster Moves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on the sticky, DaBruinz. Good job, Ross.
I only hope we can get used to look up there..

Id suggest to make the primary positions known for all OL, so that we better know what we have in (of course TC will tell us how Dante sees them)

So it might be better to change Cannon and Fleming to OT, Karras to OG/C (that people know at least one backup C is actually on the roster), Barker, Douglas and Farris to OG.

Id also change Rich and Jelks to OT - so that we know there are a lot of tackles for Dante to work with (will they remain tackles we'll see in August, but for now let's have them at what they were coming in)

Last edited:
This is old news . but let's add this two former 2nd-rounder vets invited to minicamp for reference. Pats always have special interest in former high rounders that didn't work out elsewhere..
__

Field Yates of ESPN reports that the Patriots have invited five players to take part in their minicamp on a tryout basis. This group consists of DT Ego Ferguson and S Taylor Mays, among others.

Ferguson, 25, was taken in the second round of the 2014 NFL draft by Chicago . He’s currently in the final year of his four-year, $4,113,203 contract and stands to make a base salary of $980,892 for the 2017 season.

Mays, 29, is a former second-round pick of the 49ers back in 2010. He lasted just over a year in San Francisco before he was traded to the Bengals. After four years with the Bengals, Mays signed a one-year contract with the Raiders 2015.

I couldn't find it anywhere (only mentions of Mays and Ferguson); out of curiosity does anybody know who the three other players are that were invited for a tryout at the rookie minicamp?

I couldn't find it anywhere (only mentions of Mays and Ferguson); out of curiosity does anybody know who the three other players are that were invited for a tryout at the rookie minicamp?

My guess is that Anthony Williams and DJ Dean were two of the three.. Josh Gable, the kicker, was the 3rd.

These are the vet invitees I could gather:
DT Ego Ferguson, 25, ex CHI/2nd-rd pick (6’2, 300) - failed physical w GB
S Taylor Mays, 29, ex CIN/2nd-rd pick by SF (6’4, 240, 4.43/6.98, BP:24)
DE Rakim Cox, 26, ex CAR/udfa MIN (6’4, 260)

This is the list of rookie invitees not signed:
Josh Gable, K, Nebraska IFL -- tryout
Anthony Williams, LB, Utah St --
Rodney Butler, LB, New Mexico -- tryout
Abner Logan, LB, Albany -- tryout
D.J. Dean, CB, Arkansas --
Brian Riley, WR, San Diego -- tryout
Brock Davies, Pueblo -- tryout /6'1, 257, played DL/ST, ex-rugby/

The camp was closed to media so not much info out there..

Not a transaction, but an update to the uniform numbers for all the new players (including veterans).

Devin Street is the unlucky recipient of number 17, an affliction that originally was restricted to quarterbacks but now torments wide receivers.

First worn by Mike Taliaferro, it was later handed to other immortals such as Tom Owen, Jeff Carlson, Tony Gaiter, John Friesz, Dedric Ward, Chad Jackson, Taylor Price, Greg Salas, Andrew Dobson and DeAndrew White.

Depending on your age, Brandin Cooks' number 14 either reminds you of Michael Floyd, Zoltan Mesko, Vinny Testaverde or Steve Grogan.

Stephon Gilmore gets Ty Law's number 24. Dwayne Allen's #83 was previously worn by Wes Welker and Deion Branch. Lawrence Guy has Richard Seymour's #93, and Kony Ealy gets Ty Warren's #94.

Updated Patriots Jersey Numbers

13 Devin Lucien, WR

14 Brandin Cooks, WR

17 Devin Street, WR

24 Stephon Gilmore, CB

26 Jason Thompson, DB

27d Dwayne Thomas, DB

29 D.J. Killings, DB

34o Rex Burkhead, RB

34d David Jones, DB

35 Mike Gillislee, RB

39 LeShun Daniels Jr., RB

41 Cyrus Jones, DB

42 Kenny Moore, DB

45 Damarius Travis, DB

48o Jacob Hollister, TE

48d Harvey Langi, LB

51 Brooks Ellis. LB

59 Corey Vereen, DE

63 Tony Garcia, OL

67 Conor McDermott, OL

70o Cole Croston, OL

70d Adam Butler, DL

72o Max Rich, OL

72d Josh Augusta, DL

74o Jason King, OL

76 Andrew Jelks, OL

81 Cody Hollister, WR

83 Dwayne Allen, TE

84 Austin Carr, WR

86 Rob Housler, TE

88 James O’Shaughnessy, TE

91 Deatrich Wise Jr., DE

93 Lawrence Guy, DL

94 Kony Ealy, DL

95 Derek Rivers, DE

Im not sure about visibility of this thread up here at the moment . hopefully we get used to..

The search for LB depth as expected not over . direction as projected: hybrid, faster option w situational capacity (hopefully also in coverage) + core ST (KGH, Worrilow..)

The guy is quite a story..
#52 LB Andrew Gachkar: Overcame a Life Threatening Syndrome to Reach NFL - 5 Points Blue

quote:

“Physically, I fit better into the Cowboys’ 4-3 defense. With the 3-4 defense we played in San Diego, I was always a little undersized. I was definitely a nickel player for them last year (the “nickel” defensive package is 4 linemen, 2 linebackers, 5 defensive backs; it requires agile linebackers who are good in pass coverage). And even here in Dallas I’ll gravitate more to the nickel because I love to play it. But I fit into the 4-3, too, because the guys are more my type of size and athletic ability. So it’s re-learning different functional movements and run fits. I’ve had to re-learn from the ground-up. It’s a completely different mindset and a completely different set of teaching. It’s a great thing and I really love the way Eberflus coaches it. I’m really glad to be here.”

This is two-day old news, but I thought this thread would be a good place to archive visits, tryouts and workouts as well.

Why would the Patriots bring in RB Christine Michael for a visit?

Michael has bounced around the league since he was drafted in the second round by the Seahawks in 2013. He was traded to the Cowboys in 2015, joined the Redskins practice squad and returned to the Seahawks all in the same season. Released last season, the Packers claimed Michael on waivers, and he signed a one-year deal with Green Bay in March.

After the Packers drafted a trio of backs, Michael was released. And now the Patriots have kicked the tired on him.

Michael measures in at 5-foot-10, 220 pounds and entered the league as perhaps the best athlete at his position in the 2013 draft class. He clocked a 6.69-second three-cone drill, a 4.02-second short shuttle, jumped 125 inches in the broad jump and 43 inches in the vertical in Indianapolis at the NFL Scouting Combine that year.

For his career, he averages 4.3 yards per attempt and he's caught 26 passes on 37 targets. He also has experience returning kicks.

Because the Patriots are so deep at the running back position, Michael's visit could be little more than a fact-finding mission for Bill Belichick and his staff. They are continuously bringing free agents in to update their information should they run into a situation where they find themselves in need.​

Not sure if we want to keep this to just roster moves, or include other transactions as well?

Center David Andrews gets a contract extension, with what former Eagles and Browns exec Joe Banner considers to be very team-friendly.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/05/12/david-andrews-patriots-contract-horrible/

New England Patriots sign David Andrews to 3-year, $9M extension, worth up to $11M (Reports)

According to NFL Network's Mike Garafolo, Andrews' extension is worth $9 million over three seasons, with incentives that can bump that total up to a maximum of $11 million.

Per PatsCap, that rate of $3 million per season would make Andrews the 14th-highest paid center in the NFL during the three years of his extension.​

- - - - - - - - -​

Tight End Michael Williams has been released.

Patriots release TE Michael Williams

Williams, 26, spent the 2016 season on Injured Reserve. The 6-foot-6, 304-pound tight end originally entered the NFL as a seventh-round draft pick (211th overall) by Detroit out of Alabama in 2013. He spent his rookie season on Injured Reserve and the 2014 season on the Lions practice squad. Williams was acquired by New England from Detroit in a trade on Aug. 26, 2015, appearing in 15 regular-season games with nine starts that season. He also recorded three receptions for 26 yards. Williams also played in two playoff games with one start.​

This is old news . but let's add this two former 2nd-rounder vets invited to minicamp for reference. Pats always have special interest in former high rounders that didn't work out elsewhere..
__

Field Yates of ESPN reports that the Patriots have invited five players to take part in their minicamp on a tryout basis. This group consists of DT Ego Ferguson and S Taylor Mays, among others.

Ferguson, 25, was taken in the second round of the 2014 NFL draft by Chicago . He’s currently in the final year of his four-year, $4,113,203 contract and stands to make a base salary of $980,892 for the 2017 season.

Mays, 29, is a former second-round pick of the 49ers back in 2010. He lasted just over a year in San Francisco before he was traded to the Bengals. After four years with the Bengals, Mays signed a one-year contract with the Raiders 2015.
Ferguson is the type of player Belichick loves. A player who came into the league a year sooner than he should have, went to a crap team with poor coaching but still is 25 years old or younger with a ton of untapped potential.

Patriots have released Rob Housler with a Failed Physical Designation

Patriots make a series of transactions

The New England Patriots announced today that they signed free agent OL James Ferentz, rookie free agent TE Sam Cotton and 2017 fourth-round draft choice (131st overall) DL Deatrich Wise, Jr. Terms of the contracts were not announced.

Additionally, the Patriots released OL Chris Barker.

Ferentz, 27, is a veteran of two NFL seasons with the Denver Broncos (2015-16). The 6-foot-2, 285-pounder, originally entered the NFL as a rookie free agent with the Houston Texans out of Iowa in 2014 and spent his entire first season on the Houston practice squad. ... Ferentz played in 14 games on offense and on special teams for Denver in 2014 ... Last season he played in seven games for Denver. ...

Cotton, 23, played in 31 games with 23 starts during his four-year career at Nebraska and caught 17 passes for 185 yards and three touchdowns. The 6-foot-4, 250-pounder, played in 13 games with 11 starts as a senior in 2016 and registered eight receptions for 87 yards.​

LeGarrette Blount signs with the Eagles.

Patriots achieve two goals with LeGarrette Blount's deal with Eagles

So while the Patriots kept the door open for Blount’s return by placing the “May 9 free-agent tender” on him, the move was less about ensuring Blount being part of the team’s roster and more about protecting their compensatory draft picks while potentially directing him outside of the AFC.

Thus, Blount’s signing with the Philadelphia Eagles on Wednesday essentially helped the Patriots accomplish their primary goals.

According to OvertheCap.com, the Patriots can currently expect fourth- and fifth-round compensatory draft picks.

Why LeGarrette Blount chose Eagles over Giants, other offers

Despite the fact that the Giants made the playoffs last season and have built an offense around Eli Manning, Odell Beckham Jr., Sterling Shephard and Co. that appear to be a running back away from making a deep playoff run this season, the opportunity to play with Wentz and compete for snaps immediately ultimately won out for Blount.

Eagles RB LeGarrette Blount not worried about his age, not telling his weight

“To play a full season, play every game, every carry that they gave me, I feel great. I feel amazing,” Blount said Thursday. “The thing I do most is I make sure I stay on a healthy diet. As long as I eat good and maintain my weight, I’m pretty good at it. It’s easy to stay healthy at that point.”

What they’re saying about the Eagles signing of LeGarrette Blount

Blount can be a huge help in short-yardage and Red Zone situations. The Eagles had too many drives stall, whether before scoring territory or in scoring territory. They must be able to finish better this season. Blount can make a definite impact in this role.

Updated:
- added Ferentz, Cotton
- Removed Barker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case