PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots 2011 Offensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a whole, Nate Solder did not have a good preseason at all. Meanwhile, Anthony Castonzo has looked fantastic.

Couldn't figure out why they signed him for top dollar. He's good but not top guard in the league good.

Which guard is better? Last year Mankins was by far the best guard in the NFL.

As a whole, Nate Solder did not have a good preseason at all. Meanwhile, Anthony Castonzo has looked fantastic.

Hmm..I've seen Castonzo been beaten on the outside a lot for the last two games.

It's a good thing preseason play during one's rookie campaign is such a definitive predictor of future performance.

Well, their rookie exhibition seasons are over. Cut Solder and get Castonzo's bust ready for Canton?

Did he sign late, and then was he asked to play not 1, not 2, but 3 different positions?

Solder still needs to put on weight and get stronger, he looks like Gronk. He'll be fine once he fills out, he certainly has the talent.

Solder still needs to put on weight and get stronger, he looks like Gronk. He'll be fine once he fills out, he certainly has the talent.

Yup....he is just too lean right now. If he does add some bulk he's going to be a monster.

When this was pointed out earlier in the year, there were a few who were out with pitchforks. Solder was going to be starting week 1, according to guys Like Prisco, as well. I remember one poster talking about Light being gone if he didn't take a crap contract, and that the Patriots would keep LeVoir and/or Kaczur to start until Solder was ready, if that wasn't right away.

Quality stuff.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/753416-prisco-solder-will-start-right-away.html

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/772991-pats-need-re-sign-matt-light-avoid-domino-effect-ol.html

Solder wasn't drafted because he's good now. He was drafted because he's got arguably the highest ceiling of any OT drafted over the last decade.

I'm expecting that we pick up one or two interior OL by sunday from other team's cuts,,,,

It is what it is. Not so good a game played last night by any means. But what can they do except go out there and play better against the Giants? What do you do? They have a first round pick at left guard, a former first round pick at LT with a 1st rounder ready to be groomed for the position. A 2nd round pick in Vollmer at RT who has played fantastic up until last night. Granted Koppen gets manhandled by stronger tackles but he has been a probowler in the past. And left right guard is just a weakness we are going to have to hide/deal with this season unless Cannon remarkably progresses to starting material after he is released to play or they sign some late F/A that ressurects his career here.

There is a lot of talent there, more so than most teams in the NFL. Probowls,1st and 2nd rounders so it's not like they are not investing into the offensive line. I'd like to see how they respond to the Giants next week who will be another challenge no doubt depending on who plays and who doesn't.

No doubt Brewster or Konz >{if he come out} should be priority 1 as of right now for next years draft as the top centers to replace Koppen who seems to have trouble with bullrushers. Maybe draft another guard for backup duty with high upside for starting potential.

Again, the commitment ot the offensive line is there. It's not like they are not trying to address it. Their first round pick a left tackle and a 5th round pick on a guy who many thought was a sure 2nd, early 3rd rounder. I don't see this team wowing any top flight offensive lineman through free agency. That is an expensive venue as seen by Mankins contract. Having two of those types of expensive contracts would hurt this team in other areas.

The typical bland we got to keep practicing, we got to get better and execute simply does apply to our situation. This our offensive line, like it or not. As BB implied, the coaching sucked,the executions sucked and so did the effort as far as I'm concerned. They will be better.

I know i repeated several things in this post but it is simply reiterating the obvious. Sorry.

Last edited:
No one is suggesting that Connolly isn't a fine backup.

We are not addressing the elephant in the room. Why haven't we seen 2-3 veteran offensive lineman in camp to compete with Connolly for a starting roster spot? After all, there are no real cap constraints. Could it be that Belichick and Dante are fine with our interior line starters?

For me, bringing in a staring RG who would be even marginally better than Connolly would greatly improve the OL, since Connolly would now provide fine depth.

The elephant in the room is that Belichick and Scarnecchia don't agree with your opinion about Connolly. Not even a little bit. What other possible explanation is there? If they thought they could easily improve on Connolly, they would have done so. They haven't even tried. You're wrong. He doesn't suck.

It's freakin' echo chamber in here with several of you keeping the "Connolly sucks" meme alive by passing it back and forth between you. The fact that several of you are prominent posters doesn't make you any less wrong.

Look: Connolly in 2011 is probably an average starter in the NFL. He's not great. He may be below average. I wouldn't be surprised or unhappy if he was replaced at some point. But there are very few players on this team who couldn't be improved upon. And just as you said, if he was as freakin bad as you and the other members of the jihad believe, Belichick would have long ago replaced him. Half the starters in the league are below average. Every team with a below average starter would like to upgrade. Easier said than done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey