PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patricia & D play calling/scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you have washed the games against the Giants and last year's game agains the Broncos from your memory.
Those were factors and those were not most games.

c'mon man, threw in some old Mora for some laughs

To point out the very thing that I worry about........other teams driving on us all day long. Sure, we might hold 'em to a field goal, but Brady is not on the field and can't do his thing (or get in a rhythm).
But teams are not driving on us all day long.

This is basically it.. when you're a blitz heavy team like the Bills, you're relying on a few high level man coverage guys and just praying you make it to the QB. Whenever a guy is blitzing, that means he's not covering a WR/TE/RB and if the QB can identify that quickly, they will gash you all day long

Remember a couple years ago when the Bills blitzed Brady on like 90% of their defensive plays (forgot percentage exactly, but Brady had mentioned it in his post game conference and the stats reflected it as well), it was something absurd, and Brady I don't think got sacked a single time that game.. He just recognized the blitz, tossed the ball to that area of the field that was absent X number of defenders and got huge yardage

As funny as this may sound, people should play Madden on the All-Pro or All-Madden difficulty and try blitzing every single down... its just a game, but the strategy, etc gets pretty deep these days in that game (deeper than I can even handle, and when I was younger I was a Madden master) and its obviously not real football, but it actually helps you understand the offensive and defensive concepts a lot better.. On the high difficulty settings, it will give you a nice virtual simulation on what happens when you blitz every play lol
offense in the NFL has become about neutralizing the pass rush and the blitz. If the ball is out in 2 seconds you wasted a player by blitzing him.

I thought I was done for the day and really wish I had been.

Andy, I respect your passion for the game and your willingness to engage in electronic conversation (even if I disagree on some points) but then you go and make posts like the last two where you start to lose some credibility. It makes it seem you want to argue for the sake of arguing.

Those were factors and those were not most games.
I said most or the games in which we get eliminated. So yes, that sample size does make most games in recent history. I didn't even bring up the Ravens but they get some good pressure so they work too. Let's face it, a good pass rush from the defensive linemen has been our kryptonite in the playoffs. I'm not sure why there is the need to either debate or try to get technical here.

But teams are not driving on us all day long.
I think it's widley accepted that the Pats employee a bend but don't break defense which by definition is giving up yardage but not allowing the back breaking TD. So yes, they are driving on us. San Fran and NY were improvements I'll give you that, but I would contribute the San Fran success to more aggressive play.

I'll admit to be driven crazy at times by how the Pats play defense. That jello zone pass D makes me scream. Then I notice we made the necessary plays to win the game - and remind myself that's all that matters, or try to anyway.

But let's not forget that the vaunted Seattle D was a Brady goal line fumble away from matching the Pats in allowing 31pts.

And before anyone drops another our defense stinks bomb, notice what happened last night. The almighty, the incredible, the one-for-ages Denver D finished their game by allowing three straight scoring drives to the moderately inept KC offense. And they lost because of it. KC was down to the 16yd line so quick after the missed FG in OT they had to run 23 seconds off the clock before calling TO to ice the game.

Does anyone think really our D would have allowed KC to score 3 straight times to end the game? - no, I don't.

There's a reason BB keeps saying points are all that matter. Just ask the flashy sack and smash gang from Denver, uh, the gang that had no answer for Alex Smith.
we didnt really have an answer for fritz either

to their credit, but Patricia & the D did go man and turn the pressure up at times, especially to close out the game......and they did shut down the Jets strength, the run game, to what, in the neighborhood of 60 yards?

This isn't "to their credit"...it's their entire philosophy. Why did they have a safety in two straight games when the defense is supposedly entirely predicated on read/react and eschewing blitzing to bring pressure?

Because they, in fact, use their blitzes very strategically, and their best blitzes even more so in situations MOST likely to offer high reward for the risk. If you blitz more, the other teams, which by and large are not run by idiots, will adjust the protections, the routes, etc to make the hopeful payoff of said blitz much less desirable than the potential huge play that could be generated by that recognition. Even bad quarterbacks can be fed a play designed to exploit blitzes - especially if they're shown to the offense 3, 4, 5 times a game.

Secondly, if your major focus is to make the opposing team do what they're not BEST at - the law of averages dictates that the level of mistakes will likewise be higher over the course of an entire contest or more so a season.

Andy, I respect your passion for the game and your willingness to engage in electronic conversation (even if I disagree on some points) but then you go and make posts like the last two where you start to lose some credibility. It makes it seem you want to argue for the sake of arguing.

I said most or the games in which we get eliminated. So yes, that sample size does make most games in recent history. I didn't even bring up the Ravens but they get some good pressure so they work too. Let's face it, a good pass rush from the defensive linemen has been our kryptonite in the playoffs. I'm not sure why there is the need to either debate or try to get technical here.

I think it's widley accepted that the Pats employee a bend but don't break defense which by definition is giving up yardage but not allowing the back breaking TD. So yes, they are driving on us. San Fran and NY were improvements I'll give you that, but I would contribute the San Fran success to more aggressive play.
You can point to any number of things that other teams do well in games you lose. I disagree there is a primary reason and you cited 3 games over 9 years.

No teams do not "drive on us all day". We are 14th in yards less than 12 a game from top 10 and less than 40, or 10 yards a quarter from top 5.
19th in 3rd down conversions.
The diffference in 19th and top 10 is less than a conversion every 2 games. We are under 30 minutes time of possession.
Yes I understand we play conservatively but that does not mean we have allowed teams to drive on us all day. We are better than average in that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
we didnt really have an answer for fritz either
Yes we did. We allowed 17 points. What answer were you looking for? Would you rather have the answer Baltimore did and lose?
Or Rex Ryan's great aggressive scheme that gave him 374 yards and 37 points?
17 is an excellent day for a defense.

Where are you reading that their defensive rating is 3rd?

What is there most impressive win this year?
they have the 3rd best defense in the NFL for points allowed, which Belichick the GOAT coach says is the most important Defensive stat, and they are 9 and 2. I have been impressed with them in many games this year, all phases.

Patriots are 11th in first downs allowed, 14th in yards per play allowed, 3rd in points and are + in time of possession so there is no way it is correct that teams "are driving on us all day long".

And someone else noted NE is near the top in punts forced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore