PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Outside Linebacker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ten Things We Learned Last Night by WEEI's Christopher Price:

Questions about the Patriots’ pass rush remain

For a team that has struggled to get after the quarterback over the last year, it was thought that Thursday’s game would be a confidence-builder. The Rams, who allowed 44 sacks last year (tied for seventh-most in the league) have a young offensive line, many of them holdovers from last season, as well as a rookie quarterback who was making his first NFL start. And for the first time in the preseason, the Patriots would have their two starting outside linebackers — Derrick Burgess and Tully Banta-Cain — in the lineup together for the first time.

But New England had just one sack on the night, a seven-yard sack in the second quarter for Ron Brace, and was unable to get any real sustained pressure on St. Louis rookie quarterback Sam Bradford.

File under Stating the Obvious:

Mike Reiss follows up on his '10 things to watch' for Patriots-Rams - ESPN Boston

1. Banta-Cain, Burgess and the pass rush.
When the Patriots rush four players in their 3-4 alignment, the extra rusher most often comes from the outside linebacker spot. That's where Banta-Cain and Burgess line up and they didn't consistently produce pressure against rookie quarterbacks Sam Bradford and Thaddeus Lewis. This is likely a top area of concern for the coaching staff.

What We Learned From Watching The Patriots Pre-Season Game Against The Rams by Russell Goldman in his Pats Confidential:

Will the Pats defense be able to put pressure on the quarterback?

The Patriots defense failed miserably in getting a pass rush on Sam Bradford. He had all the time in the world to throw the ball. His passer rating was 125.

Tully Banta–Cain I thought was a bright spot at times getting pressure on the quarterback. The problem was he did not have much support from any other member of the front seven. Derrick Burgess to me has been invisible in two games. The Patriots are going to need more out of him this season.

I am hoping that a lack of pass rush does not kill the Patriots this season. This could be a concern again throughout the year.

If the Patriots can't get any pressure from their D-Line, it won't matter who is playing OLB--they will get torched in the passing game more often than not.

Last year there was basically zero pass rush from the D-Line. So far this preseason: same thing. And I'm getting real uncomfortable seeing Mike Wright being pushed around all over the field. Wright has always been a decent situational pass rusher. Having him start at RDE is asking him to play way above his capabilities.

The DE position, once the strength of the defense, is now its weakest link. I'm hoping that Brace can step up in a big way.

If the Patriots can't get any pressure from their D-Line, it won't matter who is playing OLB--they will get torched in the passing game more often than not.

Last year there was basically zero pass rush from the D-Line. So far this preseason: same thing. And I'm getting real uncomfortable seeing Mike Wright being pushed around all over the field. Wright has always been a decent situational pass rusher. Having him start at RDE is asking him to play way above his capabilities.

The DE position, once the strength of the defense, is now its weakest link. I'm hoping that Brace can step up in a big way.

Relax. It's entirely possible that OLB is still the defense's weakest link.

Dline in the 3-4 is more important than it's given credit for, gap control and having two guys that require double teaming makes all the difference in the world for OLBs.

Dline in the 3-4 is more important than it's given credit for, gap control and having two guys that require double teaming makes all the difference in the world for OLBs.
2 guys are never double teamed on a play, unless you want to design a play to lose 5 yards because you leave someone unblocked.

Why would you think that choosing between starting Ninkovich and Murrell would make OLB our weakest link.

Many here thought that "anybody" would be better than Thomas. Well, we'll see if they were right. These two special teamers are close enough to being nobodies as OLB starters.

Why would you think that choosing between starting Ninkovich and Murrell would make OLB our weakest link.

Many here thought that "anybody" would be better than Thomas. Well, we'll see if they were right. These two special teamers are close enough to being nobodies as OLB starters.

1.) I'm not assuming that Woods is gone, although many seem to be.

2.) Burgess isn't a viable OLB, he's a pass rusher only

3.) Cunningham's done nothing, to date

4.) TBC isn't an every down OLB, he's mostly a pass rusher

5.) Murrell and Ninkovich suck

Now, hopefully #2-#5 all change between now and week 1. If they don't, it'll be a toss up as to whether the duo of Warren/Wright is as bad as any OLB combination against the run, and a good battle as to which has a better year on obvious passing downs.

Of course, Brace showing that what we've seen as improvement from him this exhibition season is real and lasting would significantly alter the equation.

1.) I'm not assuming that Woods is gone, although many seem to be.

2.) Burgess isn't a viable OLB, he's a pass rusher only

3.) Cunningham's done nothing, to date

4.) TBC isn't an every down OLB, he's mostly a pass rusher

5.) Murrell and Ninkovich suck

Now, hopefully #2-#5 all change between now and week 1. If they don't, it'll be a toss up as to whether the duo of Warren/Wright is as bad as any OLB combination against the run, and a good battle as to which has a better year on obvious passing downs.

Of course, Brace showing that what we've seen as improvement from him this exhibition season is real and lasting would significantly alter the equation.

DI,

I think you are starting to catch on to Belichick's efforts.

A GOOD HC is not worried about the play currently being run, he is thinking about the next few plays or next series. He must look ahead.

After Belichick re-signed TBC and traded for Derrick Burgess, he expected that the OLB pass rush would work itself out as they adjusted and settled in. It just always takes time. Burgess was mostly a hand down DE in 2009. Now he is doing 3-4 OLB standup plays as well.

He still had a premium FA in AD, and a premium pick to look at in Crable, and invested another high pick in Cunningham. Most of the ingredients were in the stew now, it needed to simmer and stew for a while. It always does. AD turned out full of resisting gristle; and Crabel didn't make it into the stew, at all.

Belichick believing he had or rather had taken the steps that would solve the OLB issue, turned his attention elsewhere. To the missing sacks from the DL, ILBs, and the in-box SS position.

The Chung/Meriwether ingredients were already aboard and stewing. Standby ingredients were purchased & available too.

Mayo needed some more support and he added a premium Spinks, with a blitz-sacker college reputation, to the returning MacKenzie. So that is now stewing nicely, too. It should also contribute to closing the run hole that was discovered.

Seymour is difficult to replace. He provided interior pressure, and also controlled the run by himself, at RDE, freeing a ROLB to blitz.

Belichick diagnosed that he needed the combination of good size, and athletic ability, to partially fill Seymour's shoes. You only get that in a premium pick. So he went out and signed not one, but two just past prime, former first rounders, and had high hopes for 2nd round rookie Brace to develop. He even drafted another 3-4 end, noted for his run defense, from his friend Saban's program. At least two of the three seem to be turning out, and I still have hopes for Lewis as a 3rd down interior pocket collapser, and pass rusher. If he can find the run stuffer RDE, a la`Seymour, he can continue to play a primarily pass rush ROLB like TBC, Colvin, Phiffer all were.

Remember in the Belichcik pass defense, collapsing the pocket, for a more agile ILB/SS is as key, as finishing with a sack, from the slower big guys, who can miss, or be dodged by the fleet QBs.

Seymour's leaving opened a small run hole as well as the missing interior pass rush, but a run hole non the less. The run Defense went from around 95-100 yards per game, to yielding 110 yards per game. Ten yards more per game is not a great weakness, but a weakness it still is.

Has he adequately filled the run hole, and found the interior rusher to return the missing DL sacks? More importantly, has he found the interior rusher who will mis-position or use-up, the pass blockers to create a blitz hole for Spinks/Mayo/Chung to exploit?

Once again we won't know how it turns out for 8-10 games, but looking ahead, I know that a stew with the proper fine ingredients, and BB has used nothing but fine ingredients, will simmer and come out fine.

Please continue to Look ahead, rather than be a General who wants to fight the Last War, all over again. Wars don't work that way.

Regarding your five points. I agree with everyone.

Point 1, Woods is a Run Defense OLB and the relief for DB on the strong side.
Point2, DB is settling in and is playing both a standup OLB and down DE this preseason after being mostly a hands down DE in 2009.
Point 3, Cunningham hasn't had the opportunity to do much yet, and I wouldn't count on him until the second half of the season at the earliest. But neither I, who doesn't count, nor Belichick, who does, were counting on him a mere rookie, for more than that, in any case. Were you, really?
Point 4, I already showed why Belichick brought in former first rounders at RDE to make it all right for TBC to be exactly what he is. Belichick has revealed that he never tries to ask a player to do something he has shown he can't do. That is why he is considered to be a situational substitution coach. The same applies at LDE but Ty Warren was there to allow it. Now he must adjust again.
Point 5, Murrell can be the relief for TBC on the weak side. I am unimpressed with Ninkovitch.

^Great analysis AzPatsFan^

=====================

Mike Reiss' mailbag, August 31

Q: Hi Mike, I'm a little concerned about our d-line and our outside linebacker situation. I have a hard time believing that we can generate a consistent pass rush. If a QB has time in the pocket, you make a Sam Bradford look like a Pro Bowler. And do you think we are stout enough against the run with guys like Mike Wright, Gerard Warren, Tully Banta-Cain and Derrick Burgess in there? We better hope that Ron Brace and Jermaine Cunningham step it up when they are healthy. Your thoughts? -- Tobias (Germany)

A: Tobias, I didn't think the rush was a huge issue against the Rams. Bradford was getting rid of the ball quickly, and I counted several other times when he was forced to throw quicker than he wanted to because of the pressure. But over time, I still have the same questions you do in this area, mainly because I have my doubts that Derrick Burgess can be a major difference-maker at one of the outside linebacker spots. As for the run defense, I also have questions if the current personnel can hold up over time. So I think it's a fair analysis.

Q: What's going on with Jermaine Cunningham? All I hear is that he's not playing, that's it. Is he injured? Is he going to be this year's Shawn Crable? -- Kevin (Lowell, Mass.)

A: Kevin, I think Cunningham is getting closer to a return as we've seen him on the sidelines at practice. That usually means the player is not that far away. I saw him get tangled up with a Saints player during a joint practice Aug. 11 and trainers were looking at his lower leg/ankle. I'd give him some more time before putting him in the Crable category.

Q: For all the bad press that the D got vs. St. Louis, I really feel that Tully Banta-Cain looked OK. He was in on tackles, contained well and was constantly in the backfield. He wasn't dominant, but just off an injury, wouldn't you agree that he (and Burgess, who also looked decent for his second game) will calm a lot of people's anxiety about the Pats pass rush if they get into solid regular season form in the next two weeks? -- Elliot Kramer (Jerusalem, Israel)

A: Elliot, I'd agree on Banta-Cain. He looked like the team's best pass rusher against the Rams. I had initially put him in the "down" category because of his two penalties, but after watching the game over again, he was generating some good heat off the defensive right side. I didn't see the same pass rush from Burgess.

Q: Mike, two years later, the team is still searching for an answer at OLB. Remind me, why did we trade Mike Vrabel? One of BB's most puzzling moves. -- Larry (Isle of Palms, S.C.)

A: Larry, this remains an unknown to me. If I had to guess, I think the Patriots saw a decline in his pass-rushing skills and maybe undervalued his potential contributions as a first- and second-down type player.

Another question to Mike Reiss:

Chat with Mike Reiss - espnBoston

Q.: Interesting that both you and student assistant Mike Rodak left Marques Murrell off your 53-man roster projections. Judging from the games (specifically the first two), his pass rush seems to be as good as anyone outside of Banta-Cain at outside linebacker. Is Pierre Woods' special teams work the main reason you see Murrell getting squeezed out?

A.: Both Woods and Ninkovich are big special teams guys. To me, Murrell duplicates that, and Woods is better against the run, while Ninkovich is quicker with the rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back