PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our new MLB for next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like his game, like his attitude.. size ok, the only question I have is his age, he will be 32 next May.. is that an issue?? Seems kinda old to sign to a long term contract, was hoping for someone a little younger. But cannot sacrifice experience & ball savvy for youth alone.

First, what a pleasure to find a treasure trove of factual football information such as in pats1's post. This is why I come to this forum. I am an avid observer of BB's coaching and management methods.

Secondly, I need to learn to stop judging football players football potential on their size. I'd thought Fletch too small to be a good ILB.

Last edited:
Very nice post and breakdown of the transcript. I don't have the 21 DVd but I'm thinking of getting it now! :)

Yeah London Fletcher is 5-10 245. So he's a little short but he has the bulk to play ILB in the Pats system. I like his productivity too and apparently BB likes his motor. The only question is how well/quickly can he transition to a 3-4 system.

Seau seemed to transition pretty quickly but it's possible that he's a savant at the LB position who knows. I think it's definitely worth trying out though. The Pats need ILB more than any other position. And you know a rookie isn't starting at LB in the Pats defensive scheme.

The Pats have enough depth at OLB, ILB will be the need next year since we can't be sure Seau comes back 100% and we have zero depth for that position besides Vrabel who really prefers playing outside.

I think fans are starting to understand Belichick's philosophy regarding LBs. He believes that the key to good Defense is having experienced LBs. Its more important than having great athletes there.

Plus older LBs used to be great athletes or they wouldn't be older LBs in the first place.

With the new CBA, a rookie won't be a great player until his fourth or after his fourth year. Then he's gone in FA!

I have said I would trade a second or third draft pick for Takeo Spikes and then move him to ILB for the Pats. I justified that on the basis that the Bills weren't going to win anytime soon, and by the time the rebuilt he would be gone,so they might want another rebuilding draft pick.

But that is no longer true. They came a long way this year and fundamentally, I think they are the soundest franchise other than the Pats in the AFCE, better than the Jets. they have broken in their next generation QB for example.

London Fletcher is small, or rather short, but that is not too much of a defect for ILBs. Tedy is just six foot if that. He has the speed and knowledge to make up for that lack of height.

I don't know is Seau plays again, or if he would resign with the Pats. BB has shown that he is a still a good player when moved inside to ILB in a 3-4. His home is SD, and the team he spent his career there. They have a older vet at ILB that is small and Seau could resign with his old club, play a year there and retire to the HOF from his old club. Don't forget that the Bolts play the 3-4 too.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes