PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Zo profile in Rolling Stone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help me out here. Why do they play that Josie song?

Taibbi didn't write the article
Yes, I'm aware of that. Kevin Koczwara is identified as the author right below the headline where one normally finds the author's name. As a decades- long subscriber to RS, I've enjoyed Taibbi's writing and his long-time contributions to RS. He's had a strong influence on their editorial stances. In a radio interview following RS's "Gangster in the Huddle" piece on Aaron Hernandez, Taibbi took exception to Ron Borges being a contributor. Not surprising he's a a Pats fan since he's a native of this area.

Last edited:
Something about Sochi's delivery bugs me. He comes across as kind of lightweight and oratorical (in an announcer's sense). I don't mind Zo all that much but I'm already sick and tired of hearing that stupid "Josie" song at every game. It feels like it's being forced upon us as a Patriots fan anthem and the lyrics are about as non-football-like as you can get. Is there anything significant behind Zolak liking that song so much?
I think it's just his favorite song, no significance. He plays it at noon on 98.5 on Fridays to get everyone fired up for the game. They played the song at the Superbowl and showed Zo and it got all the fans fired up. It doesn't bother me that they play it.
I know what you mean about Sochi, but as I said, they've grown on me. At first I was like, how can you replace Gil and Geno with this? But now I think maybe it was intentional to go in a completely opposite direction. As others have said, they were a very tough act to follow, and instead of getting a poor imitation, they went with something completely different. As I think about it, I don't even listen to them very often as I am either at the game or home watching, so I mostly hear them on replay.

I think it's just his favorite song, no significance. He plays it at noon on 98.5 on Fridays to get everyone fired up for the game. They played the song at the Superbowl and showed Zo and it got all the fans fired up. It doesn't bother me that they play it.
I know what you mean about Sochi, but as I said, they've grown on me. At first I was like, how can you replace Gil and Geno with this? But now I think maybe it was intentional to go in a completely opposite direction. As others have said, they were a very tough act to follow, and instead of getting a poor imitation, they went with something completely different. As I think about it, I don't even listen to them very often as I am either at the game or home watching, so I mostly hear them on replay.
Strange how some things catch on. Hearing a whiny voice singing "I just wanna use your love tonight" doesn't quite get me fired up for football.

Strange how some things catch on. Hearing a whiny voice singing "I just wanna use your love tonight" doesn't quite get me fired up for football.

The whiny voice isn't the point -- it's that the crowd takes it up and sings it. Singing at games is one of the best things in the world.

The whiny voice isn't the point -- it's that the crowd takes it up and sings it. Singing at games is one of the best things in the world.

I totally understand the unifying aspect of crowd singalongs at sporting events. I find "Josie" a stupidly irritating song; perhaps I'm just a killjoy. :mad: The example you cite is much more appropriate.

Last edited:
Perhaps not written by a football expert

Zolak's size meant he was destined to be a lineman. He grabbed the No. 51 jersey in memory of his childhood hero **** Butkus.

I totally understand the unifying aspect of crowd singalongs at sporting events. I find "Josie" a stupidly irritating song; perhaps I'm just a killjoy. :mad: The example you cite is much more appropriate.

It's 'Your Love' by the Outfield, and it was one of the few examples of when there was a significant enough rock sound coming out of the US that someone in the UK decided to try to ape it instead of the opposite which, with New Wave and Punk, it had been a one way street in the late 70s into the early 80s. I'm no rock historian but I think that's one of the significant aspects of the song - that most people assume it's a US band.

And it's about a woman who likes to step out on her man from time to time not some teeny bopper on vacation.

If you want to blame someone for shoving it down our throats blame the crowd that sang it the first time. Can't blame the stadium people for wanting the Pats to have their own version of that Neil Diamond song about farts.

it's about a woman who likes to step out on her man from time to time
Great football theme, eh? o_O More than I wanted to know about that insipid tune, but it explains the singer's whiny delivery.

If you want to blame someone for shoving it down our throats blame the crowd that sang it the first time.
No, I'll blame Zolak. Crowds are lemmings, especially on firewater.

Can't blame the stadium people for wanting the Pats to have their own version of that Neil Diamond song about farts.
Stadium anthems glorifying farts and cheating women. New Englanders sure can pick 'em! :rolleyes:

Zo doesn't bother me... but I think he should have gone with this version of this song!

I like Zo. He seems like a riot to be around, especially when he's drunk.

I like Zo. He seems like a riot to be around, especially when he's drunk.
Which seems often...not that there's anything wrong with that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back