PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: This Drives Me Nuts

I've started trying to break mine up, but it remains a weakness of mine.

By far my biggest weakness. I could write a five paragraph post on here that would only consist of five sentences.

By far my biggest weakness. I could write a five paragraph post on here that would only consist of five sentences.
Heh. You must be related to James Joyce.

Your a bunch of loosers. lol

Also trader/traitor

I use Grammarly. Made me realize how bad I was at some things, which made me change some of how I write. One issue I have is repetitiveness, and I need to get better about that. Have several words I use too frequently, but I guess the first step is at least becoming a little more self-aware. :rolleyes:

So between that and @captain stone , I'm pretty well covered on both sides to catch any mistakes whenever I try to write something intelligent on here. :)
We had a younger guy take over as a boss and he loved to use the word "simplistic." He didn't know that most of the younger guys were making fun of him when they said it.

I try to stay away from criticizing grammar here, like the "I could care less" mistake I see most often.

What bugged me for many years was my wife's insistence on putting herself first in a sentence, like she does when she says "me and dad" to the kids instead of "dad and I." That kind of mistake still makes me cringe.

As for myself, I sometimes struggle with affect and effect.

I try to stay away from criticizing grammar here, like the "I could care less" mistake I see most often.
Something like that is the commonly employed and universally mis-used expression "fish or cut bait". This originated in the days of dory fishermen and was an admonition to not sit around doing nothing. You were either to be actively handling your longline or you were cutting bait for lines hauled in to be re-baited. In its current usage the "cut bait" part has come to mean "give up" or "punt".

Until the last game of this year, the Patriots had been dominant over the Jets. They were able to dominate them over many years.
The game perfectly summed up the season, bad QB play, turn overs, no buy-in.

Reactions: Ian
We had a younger guy take over as a boss and he loved to use the word "simplistic." He didn't know that most of the younger guys were making fun of him when they said it.

What bugged me for many years was my wife's insistence on putting herself first in a sentence, like she does when she says "me and dad" to the kids instead of "dad and I." That kind of mistake still makes me cringe.

As for myself, I sometimes struggle with affect and effect.
Grammarly flips the "and I" to "me and" ... which has been a little frustrating. I've had to manually override that a few times.

Mostly a Midwest thing but this really bugs me, “I’m going to the store, wanna go with?”.

Mostly a Midwest thing but this really bugs me, “I’m going to the store, wanna go with?”.
That might be a holdover from German immigrant days - "Kommen sie mit?"

Irregardless, when the phrase calls for regardless.

As mentioned previously, I could care less when the writer means I couldn't care less.

i.e. when it should be e.g., and vice versa.

Same deal with a semi colon vs a comma.

I will admit to often having difficulty with affect vs effect myself.

Ha

Being a foreigner gives me free pass to any and all grammar mistakes

Siiiiiiii

Something like that is the commonly employed and universally mis-used expression "fish or cut bait". This originated in the days of dory fishermen and was an admonition to not sit around doing nothing. You were either to be actively handling your longline or you were cutting bait for lines hauled in to be re-baited. In its current usage the "cut bait" part has come to mean "give up" or "punt".
I enjoy stuff like that.

One I saw this morning that I didn't correct was a "nothing to ride home about" comment, which I have always said as "nothing to write home about" instead. I think I'm saying it the right way but didn't check yet to make sure.

Here's another one that a friend and I discussed a few years ago as we passed a plaque that read, "A greater love than this has no man, than to lay down his life for a friend." My friend said it was wrong because of the grammar and that the use of "than" twice was incorrect. When I looked it up he was correct because the 2nd "than" should be a "that" instead. It comes from the Bible

My mother: IRREGARDLESS IS NOT A WORD

Me: but it's right here in the dictionary...

Mom: I don't care. The dictionary is wrong!
My mother and all her sisters grew up in PA and used the word "youns" to describe a group of people. I don't recall ever hearing it from anyone else.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back