PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: The Ringer’s Best TV Character since 2000: 64 person, March Madness style bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.
You missed their lesbian scene?

According to Nudography no nudity by those 2.

Jamie-Lynn Sigler does have a red carpet nip slip if that helps.

@StairwayToSe7en IMO Tony Soprano isn't that interesting a character IMO. He's good but not amazing.

My bracket in round 1: The 32 winners

Rick Sanchez, Jack Bauer, Dexter Morgan, Boyd Crowder, Coach Tyler, Queen Elizabeth, Vic Mackey, Walter White, Villanelle, Hannah Horvath, Arya Stark, Baby Yoda, Bojack Horseman, Jesse Pinkman, Johan Ryan, Cartman, Tyrion Lannister. Darius Epps, Dwight Schrute, Al Swearengen, Gob Bluth, Ron Swanson, Cersie Lannister, Peggy Olson, Michael Scott, Charlie Kelly, Saul Goodman, Rust Cohle, Kenny Powers, Larry David, Pete Campbell, Omar Little

Notes for round 1: Don Draper is overrated as a character. Elizabeth Jennings should have gone deeper but got a horrible match up vs Vic. Nathan Fielder isn't a character right? I really don't care for anyone in Fleabag. WTF is Wags? No Phillip Jennings? Seriously? Where the hell is ANYONE from Boardwalk Empire? Particularly Jimmy Darmody or Richard Harrow. BS. Needed more GOTs characters too. Also The Wire was under represented. Stringer Bell needs to be in this list. I would have thought maybe someone from Homeland would make it. Vern from Oz is a potential omission if you consider it a 2000s show. No six feet under? Okay... S1 from Fargo not S3. ROME!!! Lucius and Pollo MOFOS! No one from Rectify? Blah! The West Wing should have arguably been represented but IDC that much TBH. While I said I wasn't a huge fan of Tony he deserved to make it past round 1. Too bad. Also in Breaking Bad I would have included Gus.

My bracket in round 2: The 16 Winners

Rick Sanchez, Dexter Morgan, Coach Tyler, Walter White, Hannah Horvath, Arya Stark, Jesse Pinkman, Cartman, Tyrion Lannister, Al Swearengen, Ron Swanson, Cersie Lannister, Charlie Kelly, Rust Cohle, Kenny Powers, Omar Little.

Notes for round 2: Vic Mackey didn't deserve to go out that early. Tough match up. A number of characters are still lucky to be in this and lucky better ones didn't make it. This top 16 should not have been this weak. Saul had a hard match up.

My bracket in round 3: The 8 Winners

Rick Sanchez, Walter White, Arya Stark, Jesse Pinkman, Tyrion Lannister, Cersie Lannister, Rustle Cohle, Omar Little.

Notes for round 3: A decent list. I would have liked Phillip or Elizabeth Jennings here, or Vic Mackey. Maybe even Titus Pollo could have made it? Pinkman and Cersie are good characters but I don't feel they belong in a top 8. The others I'm okay with, but not all of the other 6 would have made it in my top 8.

My bracket: final 4

Walter White, Arya Stark, Tyrion Lannister, Omar Little

Notes: Some great match ups here. Omar vs Cohle was the hardest for me. I like these 4. Very solid. I would have picked a different 4 TBH. Probably no Arya, but she is hard to leave out. Tyrion is weakened slightly due to the bad ending of his arc. Arguably no GOTs characters deserve top 4 after how it ended.

My bracket: Top 2 Walter White, Omar Little.

Notes: No real complaints here. The title match up might have been different if things fell differently, but this certain is a quality title match.

My Bracket: Winner and best character of all time: Walter White.

I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it's erroneous, but it's difficult to take your first statement seriously after reading who you declared the winner.

Walter White, along with many of the characters in this tournament, were largely based on Tony Soprano. I mean, Vince Gilligan was inspired by shows like The Sopranos and The Wire, and literally states that without Tony Soprano, there is no Walter White.

Walter White is a bargain bin Tony. That's not a knock on Walter at all, as I loved Breaking Bad and thought Walter was a very compelling character. It's more of a nod to the GOAT.

Who's got time to watch this much TV?...

Here is what my 64 would have looked like. I won't put them in brackets but I will list the shows. Some shows may feel snubbed, but that's too bad :( Also I'll stick to American shows.

Breaking Bad/BCS - Walter, Jesse, Saul, Gus (4)
The Wire - Omar, Stringer Bell (2)
The Americans - Phillip and Elizabeth Jennings (2)
Deadwood - Al Swearengen (1)
Rick and Morty - Rick (1)
Boardwalk Empire - Jimmy and Harrow (2)
Rome - Titus Pullo and Lucius (2)
The Sopranos - Tony, Paulie (2)
Oz - Vern (1) I'm counting him!
GoTs - Tyrion, Cersie, Ayra, The Hound, Jamie (5)
The Shield - Vic, Shane (superior Goggins character! Shane > Boyd) (2)
Dexter - Dexter, Arthur Mitchell (2)
Parks and Rec - Ron Swanson (1)
The Office - Dwight Schrute, Scott Michael (2)
Always Sunny - Charlie (1)
Firefly - Malcolm Reynolds (1)
Eastbound and Down - Kenny Powers (1)
Mad Men - Peggy Olson, Pete Campbell (2)
True Detective - Rust Cohle (1)
Friday Night Lights - Coach Eric Taylor (1)
Bojack Horseman - Bojack (1)
Curb Your Enthusiasm - Larry David (1)
BSG - William Adama (1)
Six Feet Under - Claire Fisher (1)
Rectify - Trey Willis (1)
Arrested Developement - Gob Bluth (1)
Sons of Anarchy - Clay Morrow, Gemma Teller Morrow (2)
Family Guy - Stewie Griffen (1)
Homeland - Saul Berenson, Nicholas Brody (2)
Billions - Chuck Rhoades (1)
The West Wing - Josh Lyman (1)

49 names total so far, so I'd need 15 more to fill it out. In any case, I think this is a pretty good list and was done 90% off the top of my head. I had to look up some spelling TBH. I would probably try to put more female characters in to round it out, but not automatically. They have to deserve it just like any other character.

I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it's erroneous, but it's difficult to take your first statement seriously after reading who you declared the winner.

Walter White, along with many of the characters in this tournament, were largely based on Tony Soprano. I mean, Vince Gilligan was inspired by shows like The Sopranos and The Wire, and literally states that without Tony Soprano, there is no Walter White.

Walter White is a bargain bin Tony. That's not a knock on Walter at all, as I loved Breaking Bad and thought Walter was a very compelling character. It's more of a nod to the GOAT.

Tony is a good character. In a totally fair bracket he would make is past round 1 and into the top 32. So obviously I don't hate him. Walter White isn't based on Tony. Why I like White over Tony is due to character growth. Something Tony didn't have much of. As a dramatic character Tony was very static for a series lead. They would show a new layer, or cause of some event, then he'd pretty much act the way he did before. Any depth showed was quickly forgotten soon after too often.

It's more apt to compare a character like Tony to one like Omar Little. I still perfer Little over Tony. A large amount of the reason is due to narrative and how that constantly transforms the goals and mindset of Little. I don't think I said anything erroneous. It's an opinion matter in any case. I respect yours but mine differs.

Last edited:
How is Jack Bauer our in Rd 1? That’s a travesty

wait... no Walking Dead? Negan? JDM is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News