PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Romeo tells Winslow who's boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was Crennel, I would really throw the book at Winslow and/or read him the riot act. I mean, I don't know the situation in Cleveland among the fandom or media or locker room, but I gotta imagine that Kellen Winslow ain't exactly going to win any popularity contests. The guy was drafted in 2004 and has what...? 150 career receiving yards...?

I think most of Cleveland would applaud the man that told Winslow to STFU in no uncertain terms whatsoever. Who the hell does he think he is..?

It's disturbing, but I think it's more likely than not that Romeo has let himself get into a situation that is going to really plague him. The fact that Winslow spouted off means that Romeo did not have iron control over his players, even if it's only the one, Winslow. It's the same in all walks of life, but especially visible in football - if a person acts out like Winslow just did, you can NEVER put the genie back in the bottle. They now feel that they have established a certain right and will battle and battle from that point on to assert that right. When you think about it, you can name many players like that and certainly many right now who are in the headlines. Coaches end up having to put up with this disruptive behavior or getting rid of the cancer - for example, Andy Reid and T. Owens. Even then, they may have trouble putting the team back together - again, look at the issues with the Eagles in the aftermath of T.O. If they put up with it, they are only foolish and the cancer spreads and they essentially lose control of the team. I think it's probably too late now for Romeo which is a real shame. It may not do any good at this point anyway, but if he doesn't do something really drastic to Winslow, Romeo is in real trouble - he will probably have lost his ability to coach the Browns.

Edit: And stating publicly that 'he is in control' is probably about the worst thing he could possibly have done. That was like throwing gasoline on a fire.

Last edited:
Here's the part I like.:D

"During his brief stay in the locker room, Winslow was asked if everything was cool between him and Crennel.

"I'm not talking," he said. "Thanks, though."

Wow, I hate to see Romeo struggling like this, but as someone said earlier the Browns just have terrible ownership. They have for as long as I can remember. Without a steady, competent owner, you're going to struggle and you'll probably not have much success. Belichick had to learn that the hard way, and now it appears Romeo is learning that lesson as well. Just a shame, because I believe Romeo could be a fine coach and he waited so long for the opportunity. But by going to the Browns, it was almost the same as flushing that opportunity down the toilet.

Seems like Mo Carthon is really the one on the hot seat - and that Crennel is letting him stay there

Not that TO is someone better to work with, but I'll bet Carthon's wishing he hadn't left Dallas

The problem is not the owner. The problem is the general manager and Romeo. The GM Savage, despite his overblown resume with Baltimore, has made many questionable personnel decisions, McGinest and Ted Washington being examples. Romeo is a defensive coach, When he first took the job, he said his goal was to play tough defense, and establish a run-based three yards and a cloud of dust offense. The problem is, the Browns have some dynamic offensive players and Carthon, never imaginative to begin with, has no interest in taking advantage of his talent. This instinct comes straight from Romeo. The fans and players are chafing against the lack of innovation and stubborness of Carthon and Romeo, and rightly so. Although KW II is an idiot, he is more right than wrong in the substance of his argument. The owner, Lerner, is a good owner who would do anything to bring the Browns back to glory. But it is harder than snapping fingers to develop a winning program. I still think the Browns will turn it around by years' end and finish up 7-9, 8-8. I'm taking them with the points against Baltimore this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe