PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Ref who gave Steelers the win over Miami lives in Pitt area and operates business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phokus

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Miami Dolphins In Depth

What the hell? I mean, i'm glad Miami lost, but this is just another example of the Steelers getting away with completely bull**** calls. This ref is probably a Steelers fan and was probably afraid of having his house and business burnt to the ground if he didn't give Pitt the win.

Re: OT: Ref who gave Steelers the win over Miami lives in Pitt area and operates busi

That was really a bad call. And it was soooo tortured. There was no way anybody but a doofin didn't have possession of that ball in the EZ from start to coming out of the scrum. There was some really bad reffing again yesterday. In the GB game there was a WR getting mauled for like 10 yards on a potential TD throw with a zebra in position watching the whole way and no flag. Holding was rampant in every game I got a glimpse of on Red Zone...

Last edited:
Re: OT: Ref who gave Steelers the win over Miami lives in Pitt area and operates busi

Someone pointed it out in a different thread but I guess none of us should be holding our breath waiting for a controversial call to go against Pittsburgh.

But wait ... Rapethlisberger said in a press conference that he was on the bottom of the pile holding that ball himself! He's a man of character, I'm sure we can believe him. :rolleyes: :bricks:

I am so tired of the Steelers getting all the breaks and I mean all the breaks. They were handed the Superbowl against the Seahawks on a silver platter by some of the most bogus calls I have ever seen in my life which went against the Seahawks, it was robbery. It was admitted as much by the officials and Pitt afterwards.

Now this bogus, bogus stuff from yesterday. 3 Dolphins on a football and the officials (AS PART OF THEIR NORMAL JOB), should have uncovered that pile to see who in fact had the football. These officials negligently didn't do that and because of it, Pittsburgh gets another literally gift-wrapped victory. The head of officials has to review that idiocy and meet with these idiots who didn't do their job by determining who fell on that football regardless of whether they thought the ball crossed the goal line or not. That is unacceptable for them to ignore who landed on that football, flat out BOGUS !

Another Steeler gift-wrapped victory, it's getting old man..........

Last edited:

Terrible call, if it were against anyone but Miami or the Jets I'd be livid. As it is it may have ended Miami's season unless the Pats or Jets tank badly, so I can't be too mad about it.

That was a very very very very bad call against the Dolphins. Either way they still had their chances to win so bad luck.

I dunno what it is, but the NFL really has some terrible officiating. Like, almost NBA-level bad.

One call that jumps to mind was Farve's last ditch throw to Harvin last night that they called a touchdown near the back line of the end zone. The ref is standing about five feet from the play, with tunnel vision on Harvin's feet. One foot comes down CLEARLY out of bounds -- not even in the realm of being in any way contestable -- and the guy calls it a touchdown!

Last edited:

Forget who ended up with possession....why did the official call TD in the first place. The camera angle was exactly the same as this official's vantage point....this wasn't a hidden in the scrum fumble

Someone pointed it out in a different thread but I guess none of us should be holding our breath waiting for a controversial call to go against Pittsburgh.

You people have a very short memory. The officials screwed the Steelers 6 ways to sunday in the 2006 divisional playoffs against the Colts. They put it on a platter for the Colts but the drunk kicker blew the kick.

You people have a very short memory. The officials screwed the Steelers 6 ways to sunday in the 2006 divisional playoffs against the Colts. They put it on a platter for the Colts but the drunk kicker blew the kick.

Oh, that's right....so the Steelers got screwed for the NFL's OTHER darlings, the Colts.

That makes it a lot better.

The real problem here is that the initial official blew the call. After that, the officials followed the letter of the law. There was no conclusive evidence of who recovered the fumble on the replay. Therefore, under the law, they couldn't give possession to the Dolphins. Maybe it's a bad rule, but you can't fault officials for following the rules.

That's only because the Colts are higher on the pecking order in terms of bull**** calls. How many phantom PI calls have the Colts gotten? it's ridiculous.

Does anyone have video of this debacle?

The Ravens were handed the game as well when the refs didn't blow the Bills receiver down and basically let Ravens defenders strip the ball from him after all hope of forward progress was gone.

The real problem here is that the initial official blew the call. After that, the officials followed the letter of the law. There was no conclusive evidence of who recovered the fumble on the replay. Therefore, under the law, they couldn't give possession to the Dolphins. Maybe it's a bad rule, but you can't fault officials for following the rules.

No they didn't follow the letter of the law. Any and all fumbles in the endzone or in the field of play are to followed through to see who recovered the football, it's part of their job. They neglected to do that. They ignored what they should have done to complete the play. It was wrong and because of it, they effed-up and couldn't get it right because of the blown call. It's bogus and must be looked at it. Sickening to be honest ! Effin Steelers getting all the calls, tired of it........been going on for freakin years now !

Last edited:

I was watching this with my Dad. The ref who made the call probably couldn't see the fumble, but he ran to make the touchdown signal so fast it was very odd. He looked like he was in complete panic and his mission was to make the touchdown signal as fast as humanly possible and end the play.

Immediately i had a feeling the Phins were screwed.

It reminds me of the plays where it looks like it's definitely a fumble, but the refs rule that the player was down and whistle the play dead and don't pay attention to who recovered the ball so that they cannot go back and reward the other team with possession.

it looked like a fix. watch it again and see the ref and how he's in a race against time to rule it a TD.

The officials are supposed to play the entire play out in case of a challenge, per the rule change a few years ago. They should have determined who ended up with the ball.

Belichick in his post game press conference said that the whistle means nothing these days. Don't assume anything.

The officials are supposed to play the entire play out in case of a challenge, per the rule change a few years ago. They should have determined who ended up with the ball.

Belichick in his post game press conference said that the whistle means nothing these days. Don't assume anything.

Let's review here. The rule used to be that, once the whistle had blown, there can be no review. Now, the rule is, even if the whistle has blown, replay can be used to determine whether there has been a fumble. Further, if, on review, it is clear that the defense recovers the ball, then the defense can be awarded the ball. That was not the case here.

There is no obligation to "let the play play out" as you say. Once a TD is called on the field, that's it. The rules aren't what you think they should be. They are what they are.

BINGO !!! Exactly Upstater, it's their job to finish the play to the end and that means removing bodies from a pile after a fumble or potential fumble and determine the owner of the football - regardless of what just transpired ! They didn't do this and it was wrong !

Another Steelers birthday gift at it's finest.................

Last edited:

I was watching this with my Dad. The ref who made the call probably couldn't see the fumble, but he ran to make the touchdown signal so fast it was very odd. He looked like he was in complete panic and his mission was to make the touchdown signal as fast as humanly possible and end the play.

Immediately i had a feeling the Phins were screwed.

It reminds me of the plays where it looks like it's definitely a fumble, but the refs rule that the player was down and whistle the play dead and don't pay attention to who recovered the ball so that they cannot go back and reward the other team with possession.

it looked like a fix. watch it again and see the ref and how he's in a race against time to rule it a TD.

I have to agree. The refs should have taken the time to see who had the ball at the bottom of that pile. Afterward, they can review to see if it was actually a fumble or not.

Rothlisberger lied to the press afterward, claiming that HE was laying on top of the ball under that pile. Unbelievable!

Miami should have had possession, and the play ruled a touchback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST