PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Patriot’s dynasty and their effect on history

Status
Not open for further replies.

pheenix11

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I was thinking about how long it’s been since the Bears won a Super Bowl and then I was thinking about how long it’s been for the Cowboys. Then it occurred to me how depressing it must be for these other teams needing to go through the Pats to get that ring.

So what would an alternate universe look like where the Pats haven’t had a 20 year dynasty? I removed the Patriots from the playoffs and advanced whoever made it to the AFCCG.

Just look at the effect on some teams. Steelers fans would be even more insufferable than they are now. The Eagles probably would have finally won even earlier. Andy Reid would have two SB victories. Of course maybe he never leaves Philly if he got the first one. The Rams might have had a dynasty. Manning would have won one sooner. Seahawks might have a dynasty. Maybe Rivers has a ring.

I just find it amazing to consider how many careers they have altered or ruined LOL.

2001 SB: Steelers vs Rams, Rams win
2003 SB: Colts vs Panthers, Colts win
2004 SB: Steelers vs Eagles, Eagles win
2007 SB: Chargers vs Giants, Chargers win
2011 SB: Ravens vs Giants, Ravens win
2014 SB: Colts vs Seahawks, Seahawks win
2016 SB: Steelers vs Falcons, Falcons win
2017 SB: Jaguars vs Eagles, Eagles win
2018 SB: Chiefs vs Rams, Chiefs win

I think abt this quite often.

Rams fans have to hate us the most? We exposed them & beat them up in 2 SB. Rams haven't been the same & still having trouble w 6/1 that we stole from Fangio.

Seattle & Atlanta are definitely up there. Maybe #1?
Quick sniper like kill for Seattle but Atl died a slow, painfull death.

Poor NYJ, Bills, fins though. Not only are the among the worst run, most embarrassing franchises but they're forced to watch greatness that'll never be match.

Btw I was reading old articles looking into Bill & analytics. Found these quotes along the way down the rabbit hole.

"According to the parameters of the game, the nature of the game as it's played today, you can't keep a team together," said Bill Walsh, former coach, general manager and now a consultant for the San Francisco 49ers, just one of two teams (Dallas being the other) to win five Super Bowls. "The Yankees can do it with money and tradition, but it's truly tough in football because of the numbers you need."

"I think a veteran team can look to, at the most, three years of sustained viability as a true contender," said Carmen Policy, the Cleveland Browns' president. "Staying on top is not only more problematic, it's impossible."

"The idea that you could have the 49ers, the Bills, the Redskins, the Cowboys, ..." Polian said of some of the greatest teams in NFL history. "No longer."

Not only have we changed the courses of multiple teams but we did it when people thought it was literally impossible.

I'd love to hear Bill jab Bill P abt those quotes, Indy & having a "1st Rd grade" on Brady.

I think about people in their mid twenties and younger and how a Patriots dynasty is all they’ve ever known.

I was thinking about how long it’s been since the Bears won a Super Bowl and then I was thinking about how long it’s been for the Cowboys. Then it occurred to me how depressing it must be for these other teams needing to go through the Pats to get that ring.

So what would an alternate universe look like where the Pats haven’t had a 20 year dynasty? I removed the Patriots from the playoffs and advanced whoever made it to the AFCCG.

Just look at the effect on some teams. Steelers fans would be even more insufferable than they are now. The Eagles probably would have finally won even earlier. Andy Reid would have two SB victories. Of course maybe he never leaves Philly if he got the first one. The Rams might have had a dynasty. Manning would have won one sooner. Seahawks might have a dynasty. Maybe Rivers has a ring.

I just find it amazing to consider how many careers they have altered or ruined LOL.

2001 SB: Steelers vs Rams, Rams win
2003 SB: Colts vs Panthers, Colts win
2004 SB: Steelers vs Eagles, Eagles win
2007 SB: Chargers vs Giants, Chargers win
2011 SB: Ravens vs Giants, Ravens win
2014 SB: Colts vs Seahawks, Seahawks win
2016 SB: Steelers vs Falcons, Falcons win
2017 SB: Jaguars vs Eagles, Eagles win
2018 SB: Chiefs vs Rams, Chiefs win

How did you select the SB winner between the teams? Your best guess? I thought it was team record. But in ‘04 the Steelers would beat the Eagles. Also I believe the Rams has a better record than Chiefs last year. Or did you just pick the team that actually made the SB (losing to the Pats) over the team that lost the AFCG to the Pats? But in that case it would be Rams over Chiefs in 2018 and Giants over Ravens in 2011.

I like your post...just curiosity. I’d like to see a consistent criteria for the “alternative champion” to see which franchises have how many rings in that universe.

I think the ones who've been pained the most are the NFL royalty like SF, Dallas and Pittsburgh. We've literally surpassed them all during this run and now we laugh at them, especially Dallas. They must be shell shocked.

Could be tables turned 20 years from now but I'm enjoying the hell out of it while its here.

How did you select the SB winner between the teams? Your best guess? I thought it was team record. But in ‘04 the Steelers would beat the Eagles. Also I believe the Rams has a better record than Chiefs last year. Or did you just pick the team that actually made the SB (losing to the Pats) over the team that lost the AFCG to the Pats? But in that case it would be Rams over Chiefs in 2018 and Giants over Ravens in 2011.

I like your post...just curiosity. I’d like to see a consistent criteria for the “alternative champion” to see which franchises have how many rings in that universe.

Just a guess. Depending how you change things around a lot of different things could have happened.

I’ve always been fascinated by the whole butterfly effect and obviously things would be drastically different if any of these events had changed but it’s interesting to consider the number of teams who have hit a roadblock running into the Patriots buzzsaw.

nfl royalty ??? no such thing. you are what your record says you are. especially over a twenty year span. sf, dallas and pitt all sucked before their runs. sf especially sucked before montana and pitt switched leagues.

nfl royalty ??? no such thing. you are what your record says you are. especially over a twenty year span. sf, dallas and pitt all sucked before their runs. sf especially sucked before montana and pitt switched leagues.

Pittsburgh didn't win a championship from 1933 to 1974. They have six titles in 86 seasons, many of which were played pre-expansion. Hopefully the Pats can win another and sweep away any remaining talk of this franchise being anything close to NFL royalty. Packers are the closest thing to NFL royalty, but their championship/championship appearance count pales in comparison to other sports where the Celtics, Yankees, and Canadiens have had spectacular long-term success.

As a long time fan, 1969 (grew up a Browns fan), have waited a long time for this and all the BS in between, inept management and poor teams.. a few bright spots, but overall not much success.

Coupled with nauseating Jets, Giants and Dolphins fans with their "Starter Puff Coats" they would wear to work on Sundays in the 90's while the Pats were many times "blacked out"..

I relish and enjoy every second of this dynasty knowing it will not last forever, but the culture of winning here is forever embedded. I enjoy it more because it has been at the expense of the Dolpins, Jets and many other teams..

I think the ones who've been pained the most are the NFL royalty like SF, Dallas and Pittsburgh. We've literally surpassed them all during this run and now we laugh at them, especially Dallas. They must be shell shocked.

Could be tables turned 20 years from now but I'm enjoying the hell out of it while its here.

My three brothers and two sons went to Houston for the SB. My youngest son and I flew in a day earlier then the rest of them. So we had a day to kill, to save money on airline tickets we flew into Dallas. So we spent the day in Dallas, and decided to take a tour of the stadium. Great place!

Anyhow we are of course with mostly Dallas fans, we get to the locker room, first thing you see when you enter is a sign listing the teams who played in the most SB's. But it hadn't been updated, so it showed Dallas playing in 7 at #1 and the Pats playing in 6 or something. I told my son their sign needs some updating because the Pats had already played in 8 and were about to play in their 9th.

Guy behind me overheard and visibly got upset and then said **** the Patriots. All I could do was smile and laugh.

More likely Ravens in 2014 than Colts. We **** stomped the Colts. Ravens would have stomped them too. Flacco might be a Hall of Famer if he wins a second Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back