PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Johnny "Foosball" Manziel Missing In NYC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're being overly simplistic, and perhaps projecting your own imaginary reality. I don't know of any sound studies in this area so if you do please post pointers to the info. I will say the one childhood friend that I had that suffered from a mild case of affluenza certainly did not fit your description. Yes the hired help fixed the meals but the family dined together, and there was about the same amount parental interaction as in my solidly middle class family (my parents spent huge amounts of time working outside the home). He was given everything, never had to work hard, retired the day he graduated from college and lived a life of hedonism and drugs until his premature death, attributed to a heart attack and in my opinion probably caused by heart damage resulting from years of cocaine and other drugs. Sad, but not for lack of parental interaction as much as the wrong kind of parenting. He was spoiled and enabled by parents who loved him but did not give him tough love.

My understanding is that Manziel's family gave him the smoothest free ride possible as he was growing up and developing, every advantage possible. I don't know that it was a lack of contact and support as much as a lack of adversity (it's a cliche that adversity builds character) and challenge. Don't know enough to have a full picture but what I've seen says his family enabled him, at least until the trainwreck was too obvious to overlook.

Also should note that the case originating the term "affluenza" definitely involved a supportive family, the kid's mother took him on the run and fled to Mexico trying to avoid the consequences of his parole violation. That's sick, but it's not an absent parent not supporting the kid.

I suspect the whole thing is too complicated for simple models. Why did Jonathan Kraft turn out okay while my friend had a very similar situation but did not? Why did Manziel get QB hero status handed to him on a silver platter and blow it when Peyton Manning took the same thing and did not screw it up (apart from maybe dodging a teabag once)? I'm sure there's a lot more to it than just having a nanny or housekeeper.
As any novice knows, any description of a disorder is overly simplistic. The example I gave was of the textbook "classic" case. Every individual is different, with a unique genetic makeup and life experiences. Those with disorders rarely fit perfectly into some neat, cookie-cutter profile. That said, strong tendencies and commonalities can be found.

Your interpretation that I implied that it is caused by simply having a nanny or housekeeper is far from accurate. I'd like to highlight some of the words that you directly quoted. "Those not elite aren't always surrounded by hired help, and face real consequences for their actions." Notice the part that refers to facing real consequences for their actions. That is something lacking in EVERY case of affluenza that I have dealt with. You also quoted me saying "The super wealthy who deal mostly with "the help" get away with whatever they want, and have the means to indulge whatever they want with little or no repercussions." They key point is that they can indulge in whatever they want with little or no repercussions. This isn't caused by wealth, but such circumstances are rarely achieved by those not wealthy. I would cite more examples, but these two are sufficient to eviscerate your misinterpretation (or intentional miscategorization) of what I actually wrote.

Unfortunately, I don't have a google reference to give you on the subject. The vast majority of my knowledge of affluenza comes from my role as a lead technical consultant for the last year for a long term affluenza study. Although the study includes a little less than 100 people, it gathers numerous biometric data points, relates them to data gathered by therapists, researchers, doctors and law enforcement, and analyzes the data using a number of different models. Although this may pale in comparison to having one "friend" diagnosed with a mild case, it's far from "projecting my own reality".

Although it is a small sample size, of the dozens in the study, only a handful weren't raised by a nanny and only 1 came from a family that wasn't wealthy. Wealth certainly doesn't cause affluenza, but the circumstances that contribute to it are rarely experienced by those that aren't rich.

It is also worth noting that when I say family "support", that doesn't necessarily mean "attention". If a parent isn't disciplining their children when they behave badly, and constantly bails them out so they never face significant consequences for their actions they're not "supporting" their kids, their setting them up for failure.

The term affluenza has been around since at least the 70s. If you believe the term began with Ethan Couch, you have much to learn before you can positively contribute to this conversation.

Affluenza is a bullshyt term invented by rich people's psychiatrists to soothe their fragile ****in' egos.

Affluenza is a bullshyt term invented by rich people's psychiatrists to soothe their fragile ****in' egos.

Their lawyers may have had some input also.

I used to think the same thing. The irony is that most people with severe cases of affluenza don't believe they have a problem. Not only is it extremely difficult to treat, its hard to find willing participants to study. The vast majority of those seeking help do it to lessen sentences.

I'd also like to point out that I was only referring to extreme cases of affluenza. There are some who try to broaden the definition and diagnose "mild cases". The problem is, when you broaden it to much, you include large portions of the last couple of generations. Many view it as more of a cultural problem than an actual disorder.

Last edited:
@Galeb,

In China they call it the "little emperor syndrome" which has began to plague their society as a result of their one child policy.

I wonder how many of your affluenza cases were also without siblings.

@Galeb,

In China they call it the "little emperor syndrome" which has began to plague their society as a result of their one child policy.

I wonder how many of your affluenza cases were also without siblings.
A little over half. It's a pretty small sample size.

The sooner we can stop talking about regular people, and get back to talking about sports, and the people that actually play them, the better.

The sooner we can stop talking about regular people, and get back to talking about sports, and the people that actually play them, the better.

31 days ......

another month of this morass?

we should hold a mass shyt-in on Goodell's front lawn up in Maine. Like one of those flash mob fad thingees...get a few thousand fans to just show up and take a ****in' dump on his front lawn in front of all the neighbors. Maybe THEY can get this scumbag to get the **** out of N.E. and never step foot back in it. Azzole of the century.

11899463_930961290303646_420256518_n.jpg

All these Manziel theories ... he's a douchebag and has been for a very long time. If he's lucky he gets in some time of mishap that puts him in the hospital/jail for a month or two and he dries out and hopefully gets an epiphany.

All these Manziel theories ... he's a douchebag and has been for a very long time. If he's lucky he gets in some time of mishap that puts him in the hospital/jail for a month or two and he dries out and hopefully gets an epiphany.
I agree. That would probably be the best thing for him. A situation where no one is hurt, but he gets put away for a couple months - for his own good.

I agree. That would probably be the best thing for him. A situation where no one is hurt, but he gets put away for a couple months - for his own good.
LMFAO... of all the people in the world who need an epiphany...

Epiphanies are usually triggered by the loss of something one loves. I know nothing about Manziel, but if he's as far gone as people suggest, unless he experiences such a loss, it's unlikely that he'll "come back". When self-satisfaction is the only thing one appreciates, "bringing them back" is an extremely difficulty proposition. That said, it is still worth the effort.. even when unsuccessful.

Epiphanies are usually triggered by the loss of something one loves.
They can also come from hitting rock bottom. If Manziel ever actually had to do some time, that might be as reasonably rock bottom as things could get for him. Of course, if the money is gone by then (which I consider highly likely) then it'll be too late to recover any of it.

They can also come from hitting rock bottom. If Manziel ever actually had to do some time, that might be as reasonably rock bottom as things could get for him. Of course, if the money is gone by then (which I consider highly likely) then it'll be too late to recover any of it.
Agreed. For some, losing a thing can be more tragic than losing someone. As ****ed up as that sounds, it is still a valid means to "bring someone back".

Such a waste of talent ...
If he gets himself right he may be able to salvage a career or a few years in the CFL.
He keeps going like this he may not even be able to hook up with an arena league team.
I don't see any NFL team taking him on even as a backup unless he plays several years clean in the CFL.

Maybe his lawyer did this accidentally on purpose to move on.

An attorney handling Johnny Manziel's domestic violence case expressed doubts about the Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback's ability to stay clean and said he was given a receipt that shows Manziel may have spent more than $1,000 at a drug paraphernalia store just 15 hours after he was involved in a hit-and-run crash, according to a lengthy text message accidentally sent to The Associated Press.​

Johnny Manziel's lawyer tells AP in text he doubts embattled QB can remain sober

Best comment I've seen.

Jerrah is waiting for the outcome of Manziel’s domestic violence case. If convicted, the Cowboys will sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents