PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: CFL apparently in big financial trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Covid-19 destroyed the XFL is the CFL next?

From what I’m reading they’ve asked the government there for a bailout. I can’t see any pro sports league getting that courtesy for obvious reasons.

I think the NFL should buy it. Great to have a feeder league close by

From what I’m reading they’ve asked the government there for a bailout. I can’t see any pro sports league getting that courtesy for obvious reasons.

Too much uncertainty for the NFL to buy it right now unless it’s for pennies on the dollar. I don’t think the owners are going to take that risk. Further, how many players per season actually make that transition? On the other hand, this may provide the NFL with a good opportunity to expand north of the border. Toronto Jaguars anyone? I’m only half kidding.

Too much uncertainty for the NFL to buy it right now unless it’s for pennies on the dollar. I don’t think the owners are going to take that risk. Further, how many players per season actually make that transition? On the other hand, this may provide the NFL with a good opportunity to expand north of the border. Toronto Jaguars anyone? I’m only half kidding.
I’d rather they expand to Toronto than expand to the UK. For clear and obvious logistics reasons.

The NFL has a feeder league and it costs them $0

Not a CFL fan, but it’s much bigger up here than I thought. My friend works at TSN and recently told me some games (many?) outdraw NFL Sunday night in Canada. Which I found amazing.

I have wondered for a while just how deep the pockets are on some of these leagues.

I have wondered for a while just how deep the pockets are on some of these leagues.
The CFL, I would say, has very deep “tradition pockets”... would not be surprised to see the govt prop them up. Again, not a CFL fan, but it’s seems like Westerners love it.

Honestly as crazy as it sounds would people get pissed if the NFL bought the league and made the Argonauts and Alouettes expansion teams? Obviously clean slate in regards to rosters and management. Buffalo might oppose given the proximity from Buffalo to Toronto but whatever.

Doug Flutie is behind the NFL buying the CFL.

CFL is big in the small prairie city’s like Regina. It’s dying in the big cities like Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal.

Honestly as crazy as it sounds would people get pissed if the NFL bought the league and made the Argonauts and Alouettes expansion teams? Obviously clean slate in regards to rosters and management. Buffalo might oppose given the proximity from Buffalo to Toronto but whatever.

Neither of those cities have NFL stadiums. It would be like the Pats playing at UMass or BU. Rogers Center in Toronto is fine for the Blue Jays and MLB but it falls way short as an NFL venue.

I know the Bills played a few games in Toronto but the attendance was meh. Probably because the teams they were playing were crap and so were the Bills.

NFL should just buy it and do an expansion draft with some of the teams and merge others. You want to expand globally? Start in your own backyard. You have 9 active teams several with old lineage.

Easier than starting from scratch. Instantly more valuable for being part of the NFL and no issues with travel. You do that and you gain more interest in Europe

Neither of those cities have NFL stadiums. It would be like the Pats playing at UMass or BU. Rogers Center in Toronto is fine for the Blue Jays and MLB but it falls way short as an NFL venue.

I know the Bills played a few games in Toronto but the attendance was meh. Probably because the teams they were playing were crap and so were the Bills.

True. Although Montreal and Toronto are big enough cities where you can have them do the normal expansion process while building acceptable NFL stadium .

Its not surprising. The CFL plays in a country the has only 37 million people... thats not a large fan base to draw from... they dont have the tv contracts like the NFL does...

I hope they dont go under, but if they do it wouldnt shock me

The NFL should step in in some way. Perhaps with development contracts for the various teams.

If we merged with the CFL, it would probably take the 4 largest teams, fold the rest, and the survivors would keep their franchise identity. Maybe take advantage of the CFL infrastructure to establish a developmental spring league with a heavy emphasis on Canada, based on the obvious market for one.

Well Montreal still has the Big Owe (Stade Olympique, former home of the Expos), and the Rogers Center and Big Owe would both do as temporary venues until something else could be managed, even if they aren't viable long term solutions.

Not a CFL fan, but it’s much bigger up here than I thought. My friend works at TSN and recently told me some games (many?) outdraw NFL Sunday night in Canada. Which I found amazing.

The fan base for the Saskatchewan Roughriders would rival any of the top fan bases in the NFL

If there were a merger, would the NFL adapt the rouge? I'd like to see it.

If there were a merger, would the NFL adapt the rouge? I'd like to see it.

A point on touchbacks like they do it would change the league. Would be interesting to see.

I wouldn’t want their point on missed FGs, though it wouldn’t make sense here anyway since their goal posts are right on the goal line instead of the back of the end zone.

Their huge end zones are ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents