PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - All time NFL draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake Eyes

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
If you could start a team with any 3 players in NFL history who would you take?

You need to factor in not just greatness but impact.

#1 Tom Brady
#2 Lawrence Taylor
#3 Reggie White

Why these 3 in particular?

Well I know I want a QB for sure as it is the most valuable position so I will take the best.

The other 2 were a tougher question. Do I build around my great QB or have a dominating defense?

Well IMO WRs and RBs while important don't individually have enough impact as far as the winning and losing of a game as other players do and too often they can be taken away by sound defensive play that isn't amazing no matter how good they are. OL is a unit and 1 great OL man means nothing if i can't put other guys around him.

So while I could give my QB great weapons I feel i get more impact total trusting him and making sure the other team's O can't do much.

So what do I want in my D players? I want pressure and run stopping. I considered CBs but 1 great CB can only take away 1 great WR but can only control a play to that point. While important I think you get more bang for your buck for premier front 7 players as far as ability to control the game.

I was thinking 2 pass rushers but I want to be sure I have a good mix of stopping the pass and the run.

In the end I settled on LT and the minister. White has more sacks than any other player and can generate great pressure while stopping the run. LT is the best all around LB to ever play and while I thought another DE may have more impact than an LB I came to the conclusion that to over concentrate things leaves you weak in other areas. Besides not many DEs are a better pass rusher anyway.

I do regret leaving my secondary up to chance but with these 2 you will be able to play safe there.

I think these 3 are objectively the best option.

That's a tough list to dispute. Great points. LT was just a horrible mismatch for any offense. I bet there were QBs that were afraid of him. So dominant.

Reggie White was a beast, not just pass rushing but against the run too. Imagine if he played the 2 years in the USFL, in the NFL instead. He'd probably have at least 20 more sacks. Pretty unstoppable in his prime.

Brady ? Yeah he's ok I guess ;)

#1 Tom Brady
#2 Lawrence Taylor
#3 Reggie White

Can't really argue with this. But what if you had these guys?

Tom Brady
Randy Moss
Rob Gronkowski

Can any D hold this trio? You'd have to double or even triple these guys which means everyone else will be open.

You killed the thread by stating the correct answer in the second post. I have tried to argue an OL into the top 3, but there are none as impactful as LT and White.

Idk about this?

I think guys like J.O. and Thomas absolutely deserve a spot there.

Tom Brady
Lawrence Taylor
Jim Brown

Brady and LT for sure. Since I have my dominant Pass rusher though, Ill pass on white, and go fro a corner. And you really cant go wrong between night train lane, deion, and charles and rod woodson. My heart says charles, but my brain says rod

#1 Tom Brady
#2 Lawrence Taylor
#3 Reggie White

Well I know I want a QB for sure as it is the most valuable position so I will take the best.

The other 2 were a tougher question. Do I build around my great QB or have a dominating defense?

Well IMO WRs and RBs while important don't individually have enough impact as far as the winning and losing of a game as other players do and too often they can be taken away by sound defensive play that isn't amazing no matter how good they are. OL is a unit and 1 great OL man means nothing if i can't put other guys around him.

So while I could give my QB great weapons I feel i get more impact total trusting him and making sure the other team's O can't do much.

So what do I want in my D players? I want pressure and run stopping. I considered CBs but 1 great CB can only take away 1 great WR but can only control a play to that point. While important I think you get more bang for your buck for premier front 7 players as far as ability to control the game.

I was thinking 2 pass rushers but I want to be sure I have a good mix of stopping the pass and the run.

In the end I settled on LT and the minister. White has more sacks than any other player and can generate great pressure while stopping the run. LT is the best all around LB to ever play and while I thought another DE may have more impact than an LB I came to the conclusion that to over concentrate things leaves you weak in other areas. Besides not many DEs are a better pass rusher anyway.

I do regret leaving my secondary up to chance but with these 2 you will be able to play safe there.

I was initially thinking Brady, Barry Sanders and LT but have to admit your reasoning and list are better. Good post.

#1 Tom Brady
#2 Lawrence Taylor
#3 Reggie White

It really is those 3.

TB12 will get you 21 ppg and those two and 9 other scrubs will keep it under 21

#1 Tom Brady
#2 Lawrence Taylor
#3 Reggie White

As much as I want to sub out White for Anthony Munoz or Deion Sanders, I really can't do it. These are the three. Pick these three as rookies and compete for titles for the next 15 years.

I'd take Jerry Rice over Reggie White, but that's it. Brady and LT are obvious choices, but give me the greatest non-quarterback of all time too.

Of course it gets much more interesting if other people are drafting too. You might take Brady first overall but you're waiting over 60 picks to get another player, assuming a snake draft with 32 teams.

#1 Tom Brady
#2 Lawrence Taylor
#3 Reggie White

I'll take Brady, Hog Hannah and Jim Brown. That way the defense for either team won't matter.

If you could start a team with any 3 players in NFL history who would you take?

Brady
LT
Hannah

best QB, best defender, best o-lineman...3 keys to a team. Have the gamechanger on defense, have the best QB to work with any grouping on offense and the best lineman in history to keep him upright as no QB is good on their back

1. Brady
2. L.T.
3. Deion

But I think the more interesting question is the all-time 53. Anyone want to start that thread? It's a little slow right now.

1. Brady
2. L.T.
3. Deion

But I think the more interesting question is the all-time 53. Anyone want to start that thread? It's a little slow right now.

crack at the starters

QB - Brady
RB - Jim Brown
WR1 - Moss
WR2 - Calvin Johnson
WR3 (slot) - Jerry Rice
TE - Gronk
T - Munoz and Ogden
G - Hannah and Upshaw
C - Otto

DE - Bruce Smith and Deacon Jones
DT - Greene and Sapp